Acoustic Travel Ukulele

DanielHulbert

Reaction score
DSCN7519.jpg

I've made a few travel solid body travel ukuleles, but I also wanted to make an acoustic one. I borrowed quite a few ideas from the Bevan Galbraith's backpacker ukulele, as well as adding some things. This instrument has a zero fret and a floating bridge. On the end, it has 4 zither pins and a combination jack/strap peg.

It has 15 frets and is concert scale. Even with a concert scale, it's overall length is just under 20 inches. All of the wood is cherry except for the padauk bridge.

I documented the build process and made some plans if anyone would like to make their own.

Download the plans here:

http://circuitsandstrings.wordpress.com/2012/12/08/acoustic-travel-ukulele-free-plans/

See it in action!

Nice. I built one last year for bringing motorcycle camping with me. Same concept as yours, except I used banjo 5th string pegs so I had less to carry. Mine isn't very loud. Is this why you made yours an acoustic/electric? I'm going to build another one this winter, but I'm going to bow out the back a little bit to see if it will project the sound and give it more volume. However, I camp alone, so maybe it doesn't need to be that loud.

Here's what I built, being a dork and matching the paint on my bike...
100_0441.jpg

100_0438.jpg

Dan

Nice. I built one last year for bringing motorcycle camping with me. Same concept as yours, except I used banjo 5th string pegs so I had less to carry. Mine isn't very loud. Is this why you made yours an acoustic/electric? I'm going to build another one this winter, but I'm going to bow out the back a little bit to see if it will project the sound and give it more volume. However, I camp alone, so maybe it doesn't need to be that loud.

Nice work, Dan. I saw your build when I was planning mine. :)

I mainly made mine acoustic/electric because I had the parts laying around. This uke obviously wouldn't be my first (or fifth) choice for a gig, but it is fun to be able to amplify it.

100_0441.jpg

100_0438.jpg

Dan

Being a lover of both ukes and motorcycles, I think this is awesome!

Nice work, Dan. I saw your build when I was planning mine. :)

I mainly made mine acoustic/electric because I had the parts laying around. This uke obviously wouldn't be my first (or fifth) choice for a gig, but it is fun to be able to amplify it.

Oh cool! I would definitely like to give one of yours a build, so that was really cool of you to share your plans. I will try to do the same when I build my second "saddle bag uke." I just have to remember to write down measurements.

Keep 'em coming. I love watching these unusual uke builds. The are a great inspiration that, as my grade school teacher used to say, "Anything can be made into an instrument."

Consitter, Thanks. Yeah, you can't go wrong with ukes and bikes.

Dan

much uopines

Hi there.
Some other suggestions to make your life easier:

1. You can avoid using kerfing if the sides are a bit thicker
2. In my opinion, a simple butt joint is totally adequate for the neck. You can then finish the neck and the body separately. Much easier and more accurate.
3. I use cuphead bolts (at least, that's what we call them in NZ) and grind them down until they fit a drum tuning key. A drum key is easy to replace if it gets lost...
4. An under saddle pick-up is great for a uke like this, as the soundboard doesn't really resonate enough for a stick on piezo. However, they are much more expensive.

Bevan

100_0441.jpg

100_0438.jpg

Dan

I'm usually not impressed with "travel ukes" but when you pair yours with your motorcycle the end result is wonderful. I think some red and black leather tassles hanging from the tuners would be an improvement though. Either that or install some Kuryakyn tuners. ;)
I've always wanted to replace my saddle bags with a couple of hard uke cases. It would only require reversing the hardware on one of the cases.

Can this be built with a headstock with geared tuners? With a bridge and saddle? Instead of the key and pins you used on this. I never built an instrument before and this looks easy as pie. What would be your opinions on putting a headstock to this travel uke?

I was wondering: the uke is already small in size, why one needs to build a travel size uke ?
The answer came from the first thing I saw in the video, the OP pull the uke from his pant pocket (large pocket of course), and start the tuning then play.
It sounds really good plugged in.
I am very impressed of this GREAT JOB.
I will download the plan and see if I am inspired to build one.

Give it a go,i made a very similar one out of Yew by using the plans and by looking around the internet.I don't have a pick up in mine so it's quite quiet,but a great little uke for going on holiday,concert scale but shorter than a normal soprano.
005.jpg

Give it a go,i made a very similar one out of Yew by using the plans and by looking around the internet.I don't have a pick up in mine so it's quite quiet,but a great little uke for going on holiday,concert scale but shorter than a normal soprano.
View attachment 57144

That looks awesome AndyM. nice work!

I'm all set to start the this project :D all I need is a band saw, mitor and a table saw, (I don't have neither of them). But my uncle does ;) Only thing I'll have to buy is.... Wood glue, sandpaper and polyurethane spray can. Everything else I have. Can't wait to start it. And may I ask.... Are frets from a guitar (removed of course) work? All materials is scraps from around the house. Other than the other stuff mentioned above. For the headstock, a very simple design.

I'm all set to start the this project :D all I need is a band saw, mitor and a table saw, (I don't have neither of them). But my uncle does ;) Only thing I'll have to buy is.... Wood glue, sandpaper and polyurethane spray can. Everything else I have. Can't wait to start it. And may I ask.... Are frets from a guitar (removed of course) work? All materials is scraps from around the house. Other than the other stuff mentioned above. For the headstock, a very simple design.

You can use fretwire from an old guitar, or you can also get it from Stewart-MacDonald, C.B. Gitty or eBay, etc.

Good luck! I'd love to see what you make.

You can use fretwire from an old guitar, or you can also get it from Stewart-MacDonald, C.B. Gitty or eBay, etc.

Good luck! I'd love to see what you make.

Well I started to cut the wood and I have to do some straightening to the measure lines ( cut crooked ) LoL!!!
It's going to be quite the challenge. I followed ever measurement. I need to start with gluing my sides (neck and end block.)
Yes I do have old fret wire from a guitar. I did that yesterday. Yes Daniel I will post pictures and a YouTube video for it.
By the looks of it. I hope it evens out LOL!!

Top Bottom