First extreme build...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
It didn't go quite to plan but this link will show you how far we got in 9 hours. Sam is a top man, skilled and able to quickly learn. It was a joy to have his company for a day and see his wonderment as the build progressed.

So an extreme build is sand-grind-and-glue till you drop? Nice vid and an interesting look into the joys of having good tools for the job. Couldn't help but start sweating in panic at the thought of wanting to try building a uke but realizing how hard that must be without a nice smooth workshop setup... ;)

Just for clarity, who's Sam, or do you give "extreme build" workshops?

Sam is a local lad who couldn't afford a commisioned uke and wasn't confident enough to do a kit on his own. 'extreme build' is a service I provide that guarantees you get a good hand built ukulele for about half the price of one of my standards. You get supervised in my workshop, use my tools, get cooked food and have a great time. Total success and happiness guaranteed even down to allowing you to make pointy headstocks and fit pickups :uhoh:

Sam may wish to post here - he is a subscriber to the forum.

Really cool Pete,
I especially liked to see your jigs, such as the swiveling go bar deck, and the mold you used to attach the soundboard and backboard.
It gives me some upgrade ideas for my jigs.
Aloha
Bob

That's incredible that you could have gotten that wonderful result in just a day even with all those great tools. Fantastic stuff!

Hi Guys im Sam Bowen. This build was truly amazing, i learnt so much in the space of one day. And may i add that petes cookie is top notch:)
I am putting the finish on my new uke as we speak and it should be ready to play next week.
I am so pleased with the way that this instrument has turned out. It is exactly what i was looking for in a ukulele.
When it is done i dare say pete will video me playing it or something, if not i will record a video of it.
Id would totally recommend doing this, its the best experience of my life.

Sam

Top Bottom