Phono Ukulele anyone?

Barbablanca

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have a friend who is looking for one of these. Anyone know where he could get hold of one?

Or the Stroh model: Phono Uke.jpg

I guessed as much. Nobody make a modern version? He is a brilliant folk/jazz fiddler who plays a whole 30s style set using a Phono-Violin.

Clifford

The guy who built that plays with our uke group. He's based in Kent, UK.

I guess if your friend could find some components, he might possibly be able to commission him to build another one. Possibly. He's on here as "Clifford", so perhaps you could drop him a PM?

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/member.php?15773-Clifford

Good luck :D
Anna

Thanks Anna. I wrote him a PM - but he hasn't been on site for some months now. Hope he gets told he's got a PM by email.

Thanks Anna. I wrote him a PM - but he hasn't been on site for some months now. Hope he gets told he's got a PM by email.

You're very welcome. I emailed Clifford to let him know about this thread, so you should get a reply quite soon.

:)

that is amazing! Now that is thinking outside the box!

On a trip to Oahu in September, I believe I saw one of these at Ukulele Puapua.

Those are so cool looking! :cool:

I thought my UAS was in remission, but I think my husband's about had his fill. My last acquisition was a couple months ago and when I mentioned the possibility, he said no, absolutely not (like he really has a say in it :rolleyes:), then I brought up the fact that I didn't have a baritone yet, and he couldn't argue that point and caved.

Well, I still don't have a cigar box uke or a banjo uke or a resonator uke. And now I don't have a phono uke either. :p

Hello . . . . . . . . . . Someone talking about me? :eek:

Pleased you like my Phono-Uke. It's attracted a lot more attention and praise than I ever expected.

This was very much a 'one off' project. I'd thought about the principal of how it might work for some time, then I happened to come across the ideal donor instrument. A beaten and battered cornet which was well beyond repair and had even been canibalised for spares at some point.

Trumpet3.jpg

Being quite old it was very ornately decorated and I wanted to incorporate as much of this aspect into the finished instrument as possible. It was designed largely with this in mind.
Several people have said they'd love one and suggested I go into production. Unfortunately, this simply isn't practical as without a steady supply of identical donor instruments, each new Phono-Uke would have to be designed from scratch, to suit the size and shape of whatever parts were available.
Having said that, I'm now easing myself into retirement from the day job, which means I'm once more available to take on design and build commisions. So, if someone can come up with a suitable donor instrument, or has any other unusual project ideas for that matter, please get in touch.

Top Bottom