PDA

View Full Version : COLOURS - Harmony Baritone

Ken Middleton
12-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Here's a cover of a song recorded in the 60's by Donovan. I used to love this song but, I had not recorded anything for a while, so I quickly threw this together from memory.

I also wanted to test drive the lovely old Harmony baritone I have been given. I put some of my re-entrant strings on it and i think it sounds pretty good.

A couple of blunders though: didn't frame the shot properly and didn't set the record levels correctly. Hence distortion and only half a head. Don't much like doing second takes so I used what I had.

http://youtu.be/JwQY6Ih6CLY

drbekken
12-09-2012, 02:14 AM
So sweet...interesting to hear you play that re-entrant baritone. It's a wonderful instrument; unbelievably versatile, yet typically UKULELE. I absolutely love it.

wallyboy
12-09-2012, 02:21 AM
very nice one of my wifes favoutrites

Ken Middleton
12-09-2012, 02:26 AM
So sweet...interesting to hear you play that re-entrant baritone. It's a wonderful instrument; unbelievably versatile, yet typically UKULELE. I absolutely love it.

Thanks Dr B. Yes, I really love the high D tuning on the baritone. Didn't like the low D tuning much. A lot of people (not you) make it sound like a toy guitar.

Ken Middleton
12-09-2012, 02:28 AM
very nice one of my wifes favoutrites

Your wife has good taste in songs.

eor
12-09-2012, 02:40 AM
Thanks Dr B. Yes, I really love the high D tuning on the baritone. Didn't like the low D tuning much. A lot of people (not you) make it sound like a toy guitar.

Hey ken

That high d sounds pretty good. Real nice.

Eor

Ken Middleton
12-09-2012, 03:03 AM
Hey ken

That high d sounds pretty good. Real nice.

Eor

I think it really brings the baritone to life. Makes it much more versatile too.

lozarkman
12-09-2012, 03:09 AM
nicely done Ken. I always enjoy your picking and most of the time your singing :). Are you OK? you appear to have lost quite a bit of weight - or perhaps you have just lost more hair :) Thanks for your contributions to this site. you have been a faithful and consistent supporter to this site and the ukulele world in general and we all appreciate that a lot. Lozark

Ken Middleton
12-09-2012, 04:01 AM
I always enjoy your picking and most of the time your singing ...

Haha. Priceless!

Am I OK? Yes. Never felt better in my life (except when I was younger). I gave away some of my weight to charity.

drbekken
12-09-2012, 05:30 AM
"...gave away some of my weight to charity"....that's the one-liner of the month for me. However, to get back to the re-entrant baritone; I find that to be a great instrument, which totally retains the ukulele character while still making it possible to profit musically from having played guitar - however poorly - for many years. The sound, too, is just what I want from a stringed instrument. Very far indeed from a toy guitar. I believe I'm going to stick to it. You've all been warned now.

Hippie Dribble
12-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Ken this is truly beautiful. Just a sweet and heartfelt performance. Beautifully framed clip too mate.

Patrick Madsen
12-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Boy, you guys are gonna make me a rentrant bari player yet. I got your strings Ken and see that the .62 string on the tenor strings is also the rentrant d for the bari so will have to play around with them.

Ken Middleton
12-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Ken this is truly beautiful. Just a sweet and heartfelt performance. Beautifully framed clip too mate.

Thanks J. I like the black background, but I rushed the recording a bit. Hence the missing head.

Boy, you guys are gonna make me a rentrant bari player yet. I got your strings Ken and see that the .62 string on the tenor strings is also the rentrant d for the bari so will have to play around with them.

Re-entrant baritone is terrific. really brings the instrument to life, I feel.

Yes, the 1st and 4th are the same diameter. Consequently, the top string has a little more volume and tone so that you are able to bring out the tune more. And the D balances it nicely.

OldePhart
12-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Am I OK? Yes. Never felt better in my life (except when I was younger). I gave away some of my weight to charity.

Wow - let me know the name of that charity! I'd love to find a charity that will take some of mine!

Loved the song. I've pretty much settled on reentrant G for my baritone uke, too (after trying about six or seven tunings). Depending on the song I'll sometimes tune down to F or even up to Ab but it's gotta be reentrant to be a uke. :)

Curiously, I've also found that I ended up having to go to the same diameters for the D and E strings to get decent intonation up the neck. I tried about three or four different gages for the E before I finally accepted that the same string I was using for the D was the best choice.

John

connor013
12-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Wonderful tune, and wonderfully played.

It's gets me more excited about my new baritone en route! Hadn't thought of re-entrant tuning, either. Fantastic.

jamescurtsinger
12-10-2012, 06:02 PM
60's Or 70's centure songs was amazing ..... but now a day's /.. . . least people's like to heard that type songs.......... . . So sad.:(:mad:

Ken Middleton
12-10-2012, 08:25 PM
... I finally accepted that the same string I was using for the D was the best choice.

John

Yes, having a slightly tighter top string makes it really sing and as the D is normally played with the thumb it help to keep a dynamic balance I think. Thanks for the comments, John.

... It's gets me more excited about my new baritone en route! Hadn't thought of re-entrant tuning, either. Fantastic.

I think re-entrant tuning would amaze you. Many people believe that a low 4th string makes an instrument more versatile. In my opinion, it doesn't. It just adds three more notes to the key. But there is so much that can be done with a high 4th.

60's Or 70's centure songs was amazing ..... but now a day's /.. . . least people's like to heard that type songs.......... . . So sad.:(:mad:

The 60's were great. I've got fond memories. The 70's are a bit of a blur.

Mxyzptik
12-11-2012, 01:23 AM
I'm a newbie here but thought I'd chime in.

I found that very enjoyable.

In 1978, a couple of friends and I shared an apartment together. The folks across the hall were bluegrass players. One of the guys played an old martin guitar and had a similar version that I enjoyed greatly.

Yours took me back there for a bit this morning.

Thank you.

lakesideglenn
12-11-2012, 03:16 AM
Lovely version of a great old tune, Ken. It has inspired me to get out my old Wabash Bari and play it a bit. I've been wanting to give your strings a try...what's the turn around time to have them shipped to the states?
Happy Holidaze!

Ken Middleton
12-11-2012, 03:27 AM
Lovely version of a great old tune, Ken. It has inspired me to get out my old Wabash Bari and play it a bit. I've been wanting to give your strings a try...what's the turn around time to have them shipped to the states?
Happy Holidaze!

Anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks. It seems to depend what sort of mood the US customs officials are in. More than 50% of my orders come from the US. I think I have maybe shipped to every state now. I can't think of one I haven't shipped to. Most go to CA.

Ken Middleton
12-11-2012, 03:30 AM
I'm a newbie here but thought I'd chime in.

I found that very enjoyable.

In 1978, a couple of friends and I shared an apartment together. The folks across the hall were bluegrass players. One of the guys played an old martin guitar and had a similar version that I enjoyed greatly.

Yours took me back there for a bit this morning.

Thank you.

Hi there, Mxyzptik. Don't know where you're from, but thanks for watching.

Tootler
12-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Well played and sung, Ken. That baritone really sings. I agree with the earlier comments about re-entrant tuning really making it a uke but the larger body and lower pitched tuning gives it a mellowness that sounds really good.

Ken Middleton
12-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Well played and sung, Ken. That baritone really sings. I agree with the earlier comments about re-entrant tuning really making it a uke but the larger body and lower pitched tuning gives it a mellowness that sounds really good.

Many thanks. Yes, it is a neat uke, quite old, and really mellow.

Mxyzptik
12-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Hi there, Mxyzptik. Don't know where you're from, but thanks for watching.

Ken, I'm from northern Alberta Canada. I just had a hip replacement so I am stuck at home looking out the windows for the winter.

About a year ago I bought Fender Tenor Nohea, I just couldn't resist it it was so cool hanging there in the store. I am a piano player but have never tried anything like a uke or guitar before so I won't say it is coming naturally but I am working hard at it and am pleased with my progress as of late.

pabrizzer
12-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Enjoyed this.

Ken Middleton
12-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Ken, I'm from northern Alberta Canada. I just had a hip replacement so I am stuck at home looking out the windows for the winter.

About a year ago I bought Fender Tenor Nohea, I just couldn't resist it it was so cool hanging there in the store. I am a piano player but have never tried anything like a uke or guitar before so I won't say it is coming naturally but I am working hard at it and am pleased with my progress as of late.

Keep working on it. It will all come naturally is you practice. Think musically.