Charango 60th birthday

Doug W

Reaction score
My kids gave this to me for my 60th birthday. It came a bit late but that doesn't matter. I owned one years ago when we lived in South America, loaned it to a neighbor kid and never saw it again.

I am excited to have one again. I hadn't remembered that the tuning was so close to a uke except for the double courses and extra E.

charango2.JPG

She's lovely! I have an old armadillo charango stored away. I will have to get it out and see if my ukulele skills will help me with it. I had gotten discouraged awhile back. Most chords are the same but that extra E course can make the last finger stretch abit.

Hi, Doug and Big_e -

So, it looks like I may be joining the ranks of the charango fans, having just purchased one on impulse. How are you doing with it? Do you have any advice for a noob??? Recommended books or websites?? Anything you'd like to tell me either via the thread or via a PM??

Thanks.

Kathryn,

I have no advice for the charango. I did see many great players in concert when I lived in Bolivia, but never learned to properly play it before the neighbor kid borrowed it for life.

I saw this guy Eddie Navia a couple times when he was with a group "Savia Andina"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dATlB_IQuWg

Another group I saw a number of times in Bolivia was "Los Kjarkas". I don't know if they are together anymore in any for but there are a lot of videos of them on Youtube. I saw them in concert in the mid to late 80s.

Guess we'll have to search for resources. Maybe we can push for a whole category under "Other Instruments".

Doug

Ernest,

Good links. Spanish isn't a problem. You should attend the Ukulele World Congress in Needmore Indiana this year. We can form a charango delegation. Your trip would only be 3 hours longer than mine from Minneapolis. I am going this year with my 13 year old daughter. We are working on a charango / guitar duet along with some ukulele stuff.

Doug

I'm looking at possibly getting a charango for my next instrument purchase.

Top Bottom