Mainland Ukes

electrauke

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am thinking of getting a Mainland uke and was wondering if there was any place I can actually try some. I like the Mango Tenor from the website but I do not know how it sounds. Thanks

Have you played ukes other than your Lanikai? If so, what has the sound you like? What ukes do you think you like the sound of from samples on the net?

I can attest to the quality and customer service of Mike & Tookta and Mainland Ukes but when you are trying to find a sound that you hear in your head you're right to be asking where you can play one.

My guess is that if you like the general sound of a Mango tenor you will probably love the Mainland.

Walnut Creek, CA

Depending on how far you are willing to go, Ukulele Source in San Jose has several. Go to their website for hours (closed Mondays, I think) or call to see which varieties are in stock. They have many brands in that price point, too.

See if there are any uke groups in your area. Ask them, and see if someone there has one in their collection. If you find yourself in LA, you can look at my Mainland Mango Concert.

–Lori

Look at reviews on youtube youll get a feel for the sound
Keep in mind that strings make a difference Mainlands come with aquilas
The ukes you see in the videos dont always have them. Check out the link I posted in your other thread. Its one of the mango tenor. Not being able to try alot of ukes is the hardest part of buying. Go slow and do your research ad well as you can. Thats why the marketplace is so busy here. Folks get ukes and they just arent what they thought they would be. Take your time.

One of my first YouTube videos a couple of years ago was of my Mainland mango tenor (gloss). Not great playing but I compare the acoustic sound (using audio from a zoom H2 recorder) with the MiSi pickup that I had installed in it.

BTW, this was with the stock Aquila strings. I later changed to fluorocarbon strings that I like better, then to Ko'Olau gold strings that I like better yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxEPtzPEmw0

John

Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz also had several Mainland ukuleles when I was was there on Friday. It's farther away from Walnut creek than San Jose is, but if you're going to San Jose anyway, it isn't that much farther than San Jose.

Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz also had several Mainland ukuleles when I was was there on Friday. It's farther away from Walnut creek than San Jose is, but if you're going to San Jose anyway, it isn't that much farther than San Jose.

Sylvan usually has a decent stock of Mainlands, give Mike( yes, another ukulele related Mike) a call and see what they have in stock.

Top Bottom