Martin 3 Cherry soprano review – I'm rocked, called, and amazed!

PeteyHoudini

Reaction score
Hey gang!

Finally, I did my somewhat longish review of the new Martin 3 Cherry soprano uke!!! It's an amazing uke!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-jNYgNgNU

I've had it since the last days of August 2012. Yeah, I had another cherry 3 before that I had originally refused but the second one goes beyond expectations. I've done a bit of a long review to show you this uke can be really great, because the price of a cherry 3 merits a review before one decides to bite the bullet at that price.

You can still read the old thread about my first cherry 3 uke on this forum. I'm willing to give things a new start. :cool:

Many people have enjoyed my reviews of the 5 Martin sopranos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCVRmcvejDc

Enjoy and Happy Holidays!

Petey

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed your review and teriffic playing and composition Peter. Great job on all fronts and glad you are happy with this cherry soprano. And also I got a good laugh at that "Corinthian leather" claim you recalled although I rememeber it as "genuine Corinthian leather."

Hi Petey, thanks for the review. Beautiful cherry you have there.

Looking forward the three tenors!

Great review . I'm a Martin fan , I have 3 and now I want one more.

Thanks everyone!

@Bill Mc: Thanks. I've just bought the first 3 seasons of Fantasy Island on DVD so Mr. Roarke was on my mind! hehe Thanks for the "genuine" correction! My memory is going.... didn't Khan say that? ;-) hehe

@vanflynn: As for the 3 tenors... I have been working on a Tenor Style 2 review on its own since I'm only getting my 2K tenor delivered this week!!! I'm not sure I will do a separate 2K tenor review and I'd prefer to put all three together.

@Pukulele Pete: In French, there's an expression "Jamais deux sans trois." Never a second one without a third one. Well, you're charting new territory going over the three Martin mark! hehe Good luck!

Hi Petey! Another great review. Glad that Godzilla didn't actually entered your house. The cherry uke seems to sound really nice, but ufff what price. I think the included case looks awesome (get a smaller tuner.. it's so worth it). Your Martin collection is growing rapidly! :D Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Great review Petey and very nice playing. I'll have to run over to Elderly and check one out.

(Corian is a Dupont product used for kitchen counter tops. It's an acrylic polymer.)

Hi Petey,

Great review. You do a nice a job demonstrating the sound, both strumming and picking. I also like that someone is out there giving some praise to these ukes. Many people have poor opinions of the new Martins, especially when comparing them to similar price point K brand ukes. I don't really think they sound better or worse, just very different, but still quite good. Different animal altogether. Of course, you will always pay a premium for the Martin name, but that's starting to be the case for Kamaka too.

Anyway, your reviews have gone a long way to pushing me to try one of the new Martins. I've been eyeing the style 2 and 3, but can't quite decide. I know your style 3 is cherry, so it's not a direct comparison to the mahogany style 2, but in your opinion would you say that there is more than a cosmetic difference between the two builds? I guess I am just going for quality build and quality sound, so if I can get that out of a style 2 I'd be more than happy without the bling of the 3, and with a few more bucks left in my pocket. Thanks!

-Steve

@whepper: I actually have no idea what that sound was outside my window but I did that whole video in one take and I wasn't going to stop for anything. I've had about 6 different hard-shell soprano cases up to this point and all of them had a sufficient spaced "glove compartment." The fancier case isn't worth the inconvenience of lack of space. Also, I will do a separate style 2 Martin tenor review that I've almost finished preparing. That tenor deserves a separate review since it would be one many would consider.

@Skinny Money McGee: Thanks for the Corian explanation. Everyone has been telling me about since I made a joke about it.

@sjshiner: every uke has its sound "or a song in it" but if a good one of any brand isn't played well, it's more of a musical expensive knickknack collecting dust. I will eventually save for and buy a style 3 mahogany and that will be the end of the Martin line for me. Too bad I can't tell you now the difference between the sound of the new style 3 and the style 2. The feel and the action of a style 3 is probably the same as the 3 cherry. I got to play a vintage style 3 in Berlin last September and it's very similar to the 3 cherry.

As for differences between the style 2 and 3 cherry, the action seems closer on the 3 cherry. It has a different feel slightly. You know are you playing a higher end uke. You need to strum and pick more carefully with finesse. From looking inside the two ukes, the basic build seems to be the same. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

As for deciding on the purchase of a style 2 or 3, I've come up with a few tips.

1. What is the player's ukulele playing experience?- If one is a beginner or not a very experienced player, buying a 3 would not be a good idea. That uke sounds great when played with a high level of skill. If one is just strumming three chords, it's a waste of an instrument. One doesn’t have to know the Formby split stroke, but that instrument shines with advanced playing because it's easy to play on and very delicate.

2. Is the player using it for gigs, uke jams, etc… ?- Seriously… does the player want to have to schlepp around a $1300+ instrument to uke jams? Would one be afraid of getting it damaged by beer or stolen all the time? It's a fine instrument but also a show instrument as well. I personally use the Style 2 all the time as my main workhorse. It sounds just as good in its own way. It's a bit louder. I wouldn't bring the 3 cherry to jams.

3. What style of music does one play?- Not all ukes sound good for the style of music one plays. Also, different ukes sound often vastly different on different songs.

So Steve, save the extra bucks and get a style 2 and play it for a few months, and then you can decide later if you'll want to move up or buy another make of uke. I also have a 2k but I prefer the style 2. Just my personal choice. I wasn't really planning on getting into this Martin ukulele review comedy business, but since I had so many so quickly, I thought I should do something about it.

Last edited:
Petey,

Thanks for the thorough response. I appreciate the insight. I'm certainly not an expert player, but I'm good enough to really enjoy nicer instruments. I suppose one of my biggest hangups with this decision is that I would really like a Style 2 Cherry, which they obviously do not make. So, it's either a style 2 mahogany, or a style 3 cherry for me.

-Steve

Petey,

Thanks for the thorough response. I appreciate the insight. I'm certainly not an expert player, but I'm good enough to really enjoy nicer instruments. I suppose one of my biggest hangups with this decision is that I would really like a Style 2 Cherry, which they obviously do not make. So, it's either a style 2 mahogany, or a style 3 cherry for me.

-Steve
Hi Steve,

I'm glad to help! The real problem is buying sight unseen and getting shop worn instruments as well.

I love the sound of a style 2 cherry! Sign me up! I'd order one right now! Pronto! hehe

My playing got better when I left behind the cheapish/cheap/cheaper instruments. I was always fighting with tuning and intonation and I like to venture above the 5th fret. Also, it depends on the style of music one plays. The new Martin sound has the jangly sound that I like for the songs I write to amuse myself. If one is playing bluegrass or classical, I'm not sure that it's the uke for you. A Hawaiian uke seems better for classical. Anyway, one has to match the uke to the sound and type of music you play that appeals to you.

cheers,

Peter

PS: I also plan on doing a review of my top 10 ukulele books that I've bought.

Last edited:
Hi Petey...it's me, coolkayaker, the "other" Steve. lol

Man your advice and videos helped me tremendously. I sent you a PM.

I decided to move from the cubicle to the office with a door—but without a window (a nod to your video). Lol I got the Martin cherry 3.
“But why, oh, why, would you get that, Steve, when the 2 would be ideal for someone as dexterously challenged as you are?”
It was on sale and came with a hard case. Lol

Thanks for all your tips!

Last edited:
@coolkayaker1: Hi Steve! So, you've went for it bigtime… lock, stock and barrel!!! Congrats! But keep your powder dry! You haven't gotten it yet! ;-) The battle is just beginning! ;-) hehe

Yep, I got your PM and I agree 100% with what you said. I'm learning good stuff from you too! Thanks for that email. I'll answer it tomorrow. I'm going out for dinner in a few minutes and the red wine is waiting. hehe

It's hard to come up with jokes about reviewing a ukulele but I usually spend a couple of weeks preparing materials and practising the songs, and allow random funny things to come to mind. I've recently bought the first 3 seasons of Fantasy Island on DVD so Roarke/Khan was on my mind. My office joke is personal. I work in a cubicle but there is a spare office near me with no windows. It seems to be a temporary space for wandering big-shots. A former coworker of mine got a new job elsewhere and told me that he now has an office with a door and windows… hehe

Petey

Last edited:
That's funny about the dry powder. I'm sure you're right, Petey.

Your jokes and playing on the videos is superb. Too bad the variety show has gone the way of the LP record...you'd give Arthur Godfrey a run for his money.

Okay (slices credit card with kitchen shears), I'm off to pump up the tires on my bicycle now. -- Steve

PS Wine on a school night? Tsk tsk. Even Tattoo doesn't imbibe on a school night.

“But why, oh, why, would you get that, Steve, when the 2 would be ideal for someone as dexterously challenged as you are?”
It was on sale and came with a hard case. Lol

The point about the case should not be overlooked. It's quite nice compared to the gig bag with the 2. I know I prefer a hard shell with my two year olds running around. So, nice bonus with the style 3.

(The point about being "dexterously challenged" should also not be overlooked, as it would appear that both "Steve's in this discussion share that trait!)

Leaning toward a 2,

-Steve

The point about the case should not be overlooked. It's quite nice compared to the gig bag with the 2. I know I prefer a hard shell with my two year olds running around. So, nice bonus with the style 3.

(The point about being "dexterously challenged" should also not be overlooked, as it would appear that both "Steve's in this discussion share that trait!)

Leaning toward a 2,

-Steve

There's a Style 2 on ebay right now for 898.00 Martin Gig bag, free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Sopr...-Uke-Solid-Mahogany-Made-in-USA-/261135051784

I've bought a uke from this guy before. He's honest, but does no setups.

Petey, my Martin Cherry arrived today. Luckily, it is without flaws or issues; a concern when ordering sight unseen. Maybe I didn't get ripped off. hehe. I immediately notice when I took it out of the case that it is heavier than I expected. Solidly built, not a single loose or ticky anything on it. I threw it on a scale and it's 14.59 ounces. I put my Pono mahogany ($200) soprano, which has a larger body than the Martin, on the scale and it's 12.1 ounces, or 17% lighter than the Martin. I'm just stating the weight, not making a opinion that lighter weight is always better (esp if the weight is in the body and not the topwood). (Just for the record, my Kiwaya Master grade koa Tenor ukulele weighed only 17.1 ounces)

You sure are right about the storage in the case--it'll barely hold a pick! hehe

I will report more once I have played it. It, literally, arrived ten minutes ago from the postal truck, and it needs to warm up (it came in from the ice cold day) and I'm going to enjoy it. Although I sent you a PM yesterday, Petey, I wanted to let you know that I received it. Sincerely, Steve

P.S. You never mentioned it, but does your Martin Cherry 3 style say, "Made in Guadalajara for CF Martin and Co." on the label and headstock, too? Is that a suburb of Nazareth, Pennsylvania?

( :))) j/k hehe

Last edited:
Thanks for the review!
This cherry uke sounds great!
I would like to see a comparision betwen and old 3m and a new one like this.

P.S. You never mentioned it, but does your Martin Cherry 3 style say, "Made in Guadalajara for CF Martin and Co." on the label and headstock, too? Is that a suburb of Nazareth, Pennsylvania?

Guadalajara is Mexico... I would expect all Series 2, 3 & 5 to come out of Nazareth, PA. Could you post of pic of that? It should have stamped 'C.F. Martin & Co, Nazareth, PA. Made in USA in the soundhole. Check the Martin site.

It's kinda strange. The Martin factory in Mexico resides in Navojoa.

Where did you order your Martin?

Last edited:
There's a Style 2 on ebay right now for 898.00 Martin Gig bag, free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Martin-Sopr...-Uke-Solid-Mahogany-Made-in-USA-/261135051784

I've bought a uke from this guy before. He's honest, but does no setups.

One thing to consider here, if it matters, is the Martin warranty. He has this marked "used" so it's worth asking the question if the warranty card can be sent in.

As for setup, I would imagine a uke coming out of Martin in PA would be set up pretty well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom