Vintage Regal 2 Point Uke with F Holes - Needs new tuners

ichavis

Reaction score
Wonder if someone can help here...i was loaned this nice 2 Pt Regal Uke with F Holes....my two questions are, does any one know what year this may be from? More important, the tuners no longer can keep the instrument in tune so im trying to figure out my options. Does anyone know what the best option for replacement tuners may be, they are the friction tuning pegs type. Looking for something that may be replaced without having to drill or modify the instrument. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Ira

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 41
  • photo copy 2.jpg
    photo copy 2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 62
First, have you tried tightening the screw at the back of the button on the tuners? That does more than just hold the button on, it also adjusts the tension.

John

John, yes, i have, its to a point where it does not want to turn very easily.

Hi Ira, first of all, welcome to UU.
That is a gorgeous uke. I've never seen one quite like it. My guess would be that it is from the 30's.

If the tuners don't want to turn, you might have gotten them too tight. Try taking them apart and cleaning them up and re-installing them. There will be a fine point in the adjustment between slipping and being too tight. Of course new strings will take a week or so before they will stay in tune very long.

If that does not help. look for "Ping" brand tuners. They have thinner shafts that won't require drilling. I think someone mentioned getting a washer to go just under the strings. Here is a link...
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/UP26.htm
Replace the thick tapered washer with a flat one so you won't have to drill a countersink hole.

Bill

Last edited:
another "trick" to keep the current tuners, but improve their performance is to create a leather spacer for the backside of the headstock. Often on older instruments, the button creates a funnel-like cavity. The leather will even it out and provide a surface with texture rather than smooth against smooth. If you want to try it, but don't have source for leather, tell me the diameter of the shaft, and the outside diameter of the button and I will make four of them for you. I would also like to know what colour you want.

Yes, I am a leathercraftsman with a business name The Crafted Cow. Cost? It will cost me 44cents to mail it to you. Consider it as a Mooory Christmas present. I also would need an address to mail them. A private email to me will keep you from being published throughout the world. thecraftedcow@comcast.net Salem,Oregon

If you take each tuner apart, clean it, and put some good oil on the threads before you reinstall, you can likely make the tuners work MUCH better!. I've not used a leather washer, but I have used a flat metal washer between the plastic button and the back of the headstock. It will make the button slide easier and the screw won't sit as deeply into the threads, giving you a bit more space for adjustment.

By the way, that is a great Regal, they don't turn up much. Bet it sounds great.

I've seen the old tuners that have either compressed the button enough or had a washer that disintegrated. The end result was the screws were bottoming out in the screw hole before it was tight enough to grip the headstock. Take one apart and screw it down to make sure that is not happening and compare the space with the thickness of the headstock.

Thumbs up on the leather washer trick, or you can do it with the black or white felt washers that AllParts sells to cushion screw-in strap buttons. This really works to make old "patent friction tuners" as good or perhaps even better than new.

Wow, good ideas...i did take my old dremel out and a buffing pad and cleaned them up, they are holding 100 percent better,but still slip...i did order set of pings, they are not going to break the bank, but i'd prefer to keep the vintage set if possible, so i'll try the leather spacer (Thanks MrCraftedCow) and maybe try to get a set of flat washers for the top and bottom and see how that does. Its a lovely instrument, it belongs to a good friend who has left it with me to nurse back to health. Never have seen a 2 point f holed uke before, im primarily a mando player with 2 week of uke playing under my belt. Thanks to everyone for their help! Ira

Just wanted to follow up on my progress here, i ended up buying a set of ping tuners which dropped in without any issue. I did end up drilling a wider whole at the top to accept the bushing and the rest was pretty much gravy. A new set of strings and its the regal is holding its tune pretty well, i think with any new strings it will slip a little till the strings strech out. Hoping this lovely little Regal 2 point has another 80 years of great playing ahead of it. Thanks to everyone for their help and guidance. Hope its a wonderful holiday season and happy new year!

Ira

Top Bottom