Will this work as a functional humidifier?

oldetymey

Reaction score
Last winter I did not do any humidifying on my uke, and didnt have any issues, but its so so dry here right now I feel like I may be pressing my luck. So I cobbled together what I think is a usable humidifier. The pellets are beads for fresh flowers that soak up insane amounts of water. The container is simply a used spice jar. I like the flip top lid since I can humidify when I want, and close it when I dont.....so is this overkill? am I releasing too much water into my case? Im getting a digital gauge...so Ill be able to regulate with more certainty soon, but I figured Id ask opinions on homemade humidifiers. It seems ridiculous to buy an oasis humidifier or the like for 20 plus dollars, plus the cost of replacment elements when the total cost of this setup is about a 1.50 and I have enough replacement pellets to last forever...

humid.jpg

"Will this work as a functional humidifier?"

Yes

"Will this work as a functional humidifier?"

Yes

ask a simple question, get a simple answer I guess. If its as simple as that though why does anyone hand out big money for actual humidifiers when a couple bucks worth of stuff from walmart works just as well?

Back when I smoked Cuban cigars a lot of guys would use that green floral foam in their humidors. Sounds like the same basic idea. As long as it isn't dripping where it is making the wood swell. Sounds like a good plan.

Living in the desert the dry air this time of year is tough on acoustic instrument. I've been making my own humidifiers for a few year. I have to admit I like the OP's method better.

Almost everything I use was purchased at my local Family Dollar.
Mini Storage Box with lid, a bag of 8 for $1.
Sponges, 6 for $1.
Hole punch, .50 at a Goodwill
Razor blade pilfered from a friend's tool box, Free!

Humidifier01.jpg

1. I grab my hole punch and make a bunch of holes in the lid. I then use a razor to cut off the plastic that was punched out. You don't have to do this but it drives my OCD crazy.

Humidifier02.jpg

2. Cut or rip sponge into a size that will fit the box. Get the sponge wet then wring out excess water.

Humidifier03.jpg

3. Throw the sponge into the box, snap the lid on and done!

Humidifier04.jpg

I made one for a friend of mine who has a jumbo-type acoustic (I forget what the brand is but it's a nice one) and we discovered that only one didn't cut it so I made him a 2nd one and that did the trick.

Being a diabetic I have a batch of test strip cannisters all over the place. I bought a bag of the pellets off e bay probably enuff for a few hundred or more for abt 5 bucks. Broke out my drill and started drilling holes. added a small amount of chrystal (really a SMALL AMT) closed the cover and threw em in a sink full a water wala humidifiers for pennies, they work great!

It seems ridiculous to buy an oasis humidifier or the like for 20 plus dollars, plus the cost of replacment elements when the total cost of this setup is about a 1.50 and I have enough replacement pellets to last forever...

Yep. Use the $20 to buy a hygrometer. That type of homemade humidifier is all I ever use.

Yes simple works well. I use a damp sock.:p

Something I've noticed is that if I only use a mildly damp sock and put it inside a closed case with the ukulele then within a day the sock will be dry. Dampen the sock again and put it in the case. See if the sock is dry next day. If the sock stays damp after 2 days its definitely enough so remove the sock.

Anthony

My only concern is that if these easily soak up a lot of water, there's a risk they might start sucking up the humidity out of the uke as soon as they dry out. Make sure to keep them very humid at all times, just in case.

My only concern is that if these easily soak up a lot of water, there's a risk they might start sucking up the humidity out of the uke as soon as they dry out. Make sure to keep them very humid at all times, just in case.

my setup has been in the case now almost a week, and has lost very little water from the looks of it. For someone that plays everyday Im thinking it will be pretty easy to monitor. Now if you put these in a uke you dont play often thats a good point!

Living in the desert the dry air this time of year is tough on acoustic instrument. I've been making my own humidifiers for a few year. I have to admit I like the OP's method better.

Almost everything I use was purchased at my local Family Dollar.
Mini Storage Box with lid, a bag of 8 for $1.
Sponges, 6 for $1.
Hole punch, .50 at a Goodwill
Razor blade pilfered from a friend's tool box, Free!

Humidifier01.jpg

1. I grab my hole punch and make a bunch of holes in the lid. I then use a razor to cut off the plastic that was punched out. You don't have to do this but it drives my OCD crazy.

Humidifier02.jpg

2. Cut or rip sponge into a size that will fit the box. Get the sponge wet then wring out excess water.

Humidifier03.jpg

3. Throw the sponge into the box, snap the lid on and done!

Humidifier04.jpg

I made one for a friend of mine who has a jumbo-type acoustic (I forget what the brand is but it's a nice one) and we discovered that only one didn't cut it so I made him a 2nd one and that did the trick.

I think your method is brilliant as well. does it drip though? Thats the thing I really like about these beads. If the jar get tumbled around no matter which way its facing it wont drip or get the case/uke wet. I had also considered just using the sponge, but I thought it would dry to quickly, and possibly drip when wet

Yep - it will work like a champ - you may have more beads in those containers than you really need, and when you have "just enough" the humidifier will hold (and over time release) a little more water but you definitely have the right idea.

I've been making my own humidifiers out of clear glitter tubes (because I have grandkids who keep me supplied in tubes as long as I keep them supplied with glitter and because the tubes hang in the soundhole between the strings perfectly). I have also used the little plastic capsules that hold the plastic gloves that come in "Just for Men" haircolor. I won't tell you how I discovered those... :biglaugh:

I also use the "water crystals" from the garden section at Lowes - it's the same material but in a different form. I accidentally discovered something cool about those - if you just soak the tubes in water for a few days the "extra" crystals will "creep" through the 1/16" holes leaving "just enough" in the tube. When the tube is completely saturated it looks like it just has water in it, you can't really see the crystals. As it dries out you can see the crystals and when they're completely dry there is less than 1/4 teaspoon of dry crystals in the tube.

John

Top Bottom