New POS day!

pootsie

Reaction score
Those of you who follow my exploits in eager anticipation of the latest installment (and please stop stalking me if you do) will recall that a record store opened up down the street from my office.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?73631-Lo-fi

Yeah, a RECORD store, that sells RECORDS. Like the black round discs that contain less than 30 minutes of playing time per side.

Anyway, the place had some ukes for sale. So I brought in some old vinyl that was gathering dust for more than a decade, and traded for this:
Mahalo POS-sb.jpg

A Mahalo model sunburst-POS (well, actually a UTL-30SB).

So, basically for free (LPs no longer having value to me), I have a uke to fiddle with at the office and I don't have to care what abuse it suffers. The action is actually not horrible at the nut but almost a centimeter above the fretboard on the other end, so I will lower the saddle when I get a chance.

The sound is a lot like the sound a cheap uke makes. But the price was right

Alright. Just don't Uke yourself out of a job.

Got the exact same thing at the office! Lowered the saddle, changed the strings... not too bad. That and Chordie.com keep me occupied some times when maybe I shouldn't be. Don't tell.

I do have plans on new strings and taking down the saddle.

I just noticed it's a compensated saddle--though I don't think it helps an awful lot. I will test and see where the intonation is when I've taken it down.

They had the les paul and this one, the telecaster, and a bunch of Diamondhead brand colored ukes that looked just like Mahalos.

This one seemed like the most fun to me.

Funny thing is, the trade value he offered me on the records was *just enough* to cover the retail price. It's like god wanted me to have a cheap uke at the office.

He also sniffed at the cover of my copy of Peter Tosh's "Legalize It." I bought that record used so I can honestly claim that any residue left there could possibly be from the previous owner. Dark side of the Moon, too, I bought that used also.

The stock aquilas are no good though.
Try a fresh set of Aquilas and hear the difference.

My old Mahalo Les paul really sang with Concert Aquilas.

Ughhh! Why did it show up when I clicked “new posts”?
It was new back in 2012 LOL

Any new response to any thread dating all the way back to the Civil War will make the response a new post.
That lemon oil has turned the fretboard into a lemon bar by now too if that uke didn't make it into the camp fire.

Sometimes the old stuff is good and worthy of a rehash - sometimes its not.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.. 😜

Top Bottom