AECg vs AECG

CenizaT&K-01

Reaction score
i changed my strings on my ukulele last night, i already had Aquila's but i bought two new sets of Aquila's for my Concert sized Ceniza. I bought one Low g and one regular set for it, and i put on the Low G. I have never played with a low g before, any advice? should i have not done that? should i have stayed with the regular tune of AECG?

when i get my tenor should that be a low c or a low g, my bud's tenor that he just got last night is AEcG.

???

Attachments

• IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 8
i would think it depends on the song you're playing and your style of playing.

with the low G tuning, its just like playing only the first four strings of a guitar, with a capo on the 5th fret (or was that the 7th fret). if you tend to pluck with a lot of bass, it makes it easier to fill those in also.

i personally prefer the high G tuning on my tenors since i concentrate more on the first three string anyway, while getting in that fourth string gives it a little more life IMO.

on that same note, i just got my 6 string in last night. it came tuned as g-cC-E-aA. it was cool and everything but that low A made it sound weird while plucking on certain songs. so i restrung it with aquilas and changed it to g-cC-E-aa. the first course is same octave high A, with the octaved C's on the third course. this is what worked for my preference and style of playing. now my fingertips are in pain because i was playing with it till 1am. haha

Last edited:
hey bruddah i appreciate all the help you have been giving me on the last couple of questions i had...i was thinking that when i get my tenor sometime next week i was going to change it to regular Aquila Tenor Strings tuned AECG rather than AEcG or even AECg.

hey bruddah i appreciate all the help you have been giving me on the last couple of questions i had...i was thinking that when i get my tenor sometime next week i was going to change it to regular Aquila Tenor Strings tuned AECG rather than AEcG or even AECg.
i just got off the Elderly site and orderd a variety of strings, high G low G etc. I have standard tuning on my ukes now. Im just looking to experiment and see what I like best. This is all good info to consider. Thank you both for sharing.

NukeDoc...I have a pono concert. I could not find concert strings for it anywhere localy. I had Aquila tenor strings and put them on there. Could that hurt my uke. could the change in size and string tension be a factor? Im not getting any fret buzz and it sounds great. What do you think?

i changed my strings on my ukulele last night, i already had Aquila's but i bought two new sets of Aquila's for my Concert sized Ceniza. I bought one Low g and one regular set for it, and i put on the Low G. I have never played with a low g before, any advice? should i have not done that? should i have stayed with the regular tune of AECG?

when i get my tenor should that be a low c or a low g, my bud's tenor that he just got last night is AEcG.

???

The normal tuning for concert and tenor ukuleles (g, C, E, A) is called "re-entrant" tuning. They're tuned that way so that upstrokes sound the same as downstrokes. If you're going for that sound, then that's how you want to tune your ukulele.

The low G tuning (G, C, E, A) is becoming more popular. Iz uses that tuning mostly (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It's critical to have a low G tuning if you want to emulate his style.

By the way, your explanation of tuning (AECG) is odd. Unless you play upside-down, you've got it backwards.

Regular (high G) tuning is usually represented: g, C, E, A. In this tuning, the 4th string (g) is tuned to a pitch between the 1st (A) and 2nd (E) strings.

Low G tuning is usually represented: G, C, E, A. In this tuning, the 4th string (G) is tuned to a pitch below the 3rd (C) string.

Also, what do you mean by "AEcG"? It looks like you mean that your buddy has his 3rd string (c) tuned to a pitch higher than the 1st string (A). I've never come across this tuning in my life.

Are low-g (G C E A) tunings only for the tenor or other types of ukes?

My Makala Tenor came with Low-G Aquilas. I found it akward at first, but when its tuned correctly to its low-g, it gives you that rich, deep tone. I was looking into buying new strings sinec I didn't feel comfortable, but after a little jamming I got more used to it. I actually only prefer the concerts and soprano's to be GCEA.

You can string any uke low G.

True, but sopranos are really too small to get a good response from low-G. Not enough air moving around in the body. (There's a good scientific explanation for this but dang if I can even remember the name... "Hernholz resonance"? Something like that.)

It doesn't stick in my head so well because I'm pretty much strictly a re-entrant kind of guy so I don't think about it much.

I have 4 ukes.

2 tenors with Low G c e a set up
1 6-string tenor with the Low G, Low and high C, high e, high double a
1 4-string Baritone strung with low G, c e a

The only difference I see with the Baritone being strung like my tenors is a little more space on the fretboard when fingering the chords.

I had traded my 6-string Baritone with my Boss for his 4-string Baritone. I might just change back my Baritone to D G B E.

To me, the what constitutes the "ukulele" sound is re-rentrant tuning. With a low G, the sound feels muddy to me. And also, with low G you don't have access to all the cool 6th, 9th, et cetera chords in the same way. Different strokes, different folks, to be sure. ;):D

Top Bottom