Hand drum banjo uke project

RPA_Ukuleles

Reaction score
Just finished a hand drum banjo uke. Made this as a Christmas present for a musician friend. Pretty basic neck-on-hand drum setup, but it did take a bit of drawing and measuring to get the scale and neck angel worked out. Neck is 3 deg, scale is 14".

The neck is mahogany, with a 3/4" dowel stick inserted and pinned with a 1/4" dowel. The drum body was drilled for the 3/4" dowel and then another 1/4" dowel locks that to the side of the drum. Rosewood fretboard with ebony nut. Made a 5/8" tall bridge from curly maple with ebony cap. Basic friction tuners. The tail piece is a bit of ebony, and I kinda don't really like how I ran the strings thru the drum's rim, but it works. If I ever make another I'll come up with a proper tailpiece. Also, I stained the neck to match the walnut color of the drum - but not thrilled with the results so I won't do that again. The drum was $13 bucks and the rest was from parts in the workshop.

All in all was pretty quick and entertaining build, and the results were WELL received. It's loud and can cut right thru an acoustic guitar jam.

ub1.jpgub2.jpgub3.jpgub4.jpgub5.jpg

Very nice. It looks like you designed the drum for this purpose.
I like your tail piece. It looks very clean on the outside and no one will see the strings inside the rim.

Top Bottom