PDA

View Full Version : Opahcat is selling on Ebay again!!

Dan Uke
12-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Just letting everyone know that Opahcat (John Kitakis from Pono) is selling some factory seconds again! Just type in Pono Ukulele

Captain Simian
12-11-2012, 10:15 AM
I'd love to get that parlor guitar if it wouldn't spell the end of my life and/or marriage.

chrimess
12-11-2012, 11:14 AM
it is indeed beautiful albeit priced a bit high for my taste...

I'd love to get that parlor guitar if it wouldn't spell the end of my life and/or marriage.

Newportlocal
12-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Good tip. Sure lots of people can use a great uke at a deal.

OldePhart
12-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Wow...ouch...arghhh - I was within a click of buying an MBD - very hard to pass up at that price. C'mon people - hurry up and buy all of the baritones before I weaken...

ukuloonie
12-11-2012, 12:10 PM
must not click to buy
must not click
it is so hard.

coolkayaker1
12-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Wow...ouch...arghhh - I was within a click of buying an MBD - very hard to pass up at that price. C'mon people - hurry up and buy all of the baritones before I weaken...

Yesterday you said you might get a Bruko baritone. Mine directly from Herr Pfieffer should be here in, oh, (looks at watch) 48 hours. John, you're as fickle as a pickle. Lol.

Daniel, is Opahcat John Kitakis? I could have sworn there was a thread on here 4 months ago where Andrew K chimed in and said it was a respected uke refinisher repair person that used to work for KoOlau. He didn't mention his Dad.

I could have it all wrong though. I have the memory of a fruit bat.

Doc_J
12-11-2012, 01:09 PM

If you got the $ and want to play (or just try) a good baritone. Buy it.

Here's a great video of a Pono MBD being played well. This video even made me think about a baritone.

http://youtu.be/am76XUnswQ8

OldePhart
12-11-2012, 01:13 PM

Hello. My name is John and I'm an addict. It has been...seven minutes...since my last ukulele purchase.

You folks all let me down - I went back to ebay for one final peek thinking surely they'd all be claimed...

John

coolkayaker1
12-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Hello. My name is John and I'm an addict. It has been...seven minutes...since my last ukulele purchase.

You folks all let me down - I went back to ebay for one final peek thinking surely they'd all be claimed...

John

What exactly did you get, John? Cut and paste the eBay photos here.

By the way... Weclcome to the group, John. My name is Steve and I had a problem, too. I can now be your mentor, your sponsor, and you can call me day or night if you grab that credit card and start shaking. I'll help you through it, and together...we can ask for a two uke discount.

OldePhart
12-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Yesterday you said you might get a Bruko baritone. Mine directly from Herr Pfieffer should be here in, oh, (looks at watch) 48 hours. John, you're as fickle as a pickle. Lol.

Not really fickle - I just want one of everything... :)

Congrats on the Bruko - expecting a video soon.

Seriously, my Bruko desire is kind of on low simmer...if I stumble across a good deal on one I might snap it up. I've been looking for a second baritone, though, and I've been wanting to get my hands on a Pono. I figure it might be a while before a deal this good comes around again...

Now I just have to figure out a good excuse to put coal in all the grandkid's stockings this Christmas (just kidding).

This was the final stroke that melted one of my credit cards into a little puddle, though. :biglaugh: Wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't just remodelled one of the bathrooms over Thanksgiving weekend. I guess I'll call this my reward to myself for accomplishing that.

I think it is time to sell at least one of my tenors, though. They aren't likely to get much use now since I like the shorter and longer scales much better. Kind of strange, that.

John

OldePhart
12-11-2012, 01:23 PM
What exactly did you get, John? Cut and paste the eBay photos here.

By the way... Weclcome to the group, John. My name is Steve and I had a problem, too. I can now be your mentor, your sponsor, and you can call me day or night if you grab that credit card and start shaking. I'll help you through it, and together...we can ask for a two uke discount.

Hey Steve, "welcome to the group?" I guess I confused you when I replied to my own post. Or you're trying to be funny, either of which could have zoomed right over my head after the day I had at work today. LOL

Not much point in posting the eBay photos as there are just photos of one uke out of a batch of seconds, no telling what I'll actually get. All I know is it will be one of the three available MBDs. At $349 with a hard case I just decided I couldn't pass it up. Hopefully the guys there know what a wonderful asset I am to the ukulele community and they'll send me the one with the nicest voice. :) I'll post photos when it arrives.

John

missameeames
12-11-2012, 01:38 PM

Daniel, is Opahcat John Kitakis? I could have sworn there was a thread on here 4 months ago where Andrew K chimed in and said it was a respected uke refinisher repair person that used to work for KoOlau. He didn't mention his Dad.

I could have it all wrong though. I have the memory of a fruit bat.

Not Daniel, but paypal payment to opahcat goes directly to Koolau. The ebay seller you're thinking of that Andrew vouched for is paradise-ukulele (or some variant of that).

coolkayaker1
12-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Hey Steve, "welcome to the group?"
Hopefully the guys there know what a wonderful asset I am to the ukulele community and they'll send me the one with the nicest voice. :) I'll post photos when it arrives.

John

John, I was playing off the support group theme that you.. oh, nevermind. lol

Yes, it'll be interesting to see what you get in your mystery box from "the Cat". I, too, hope you get one with the pretty voice of a mermaid.

My luck, they'd send me the longshoreman.

OldePhart
12-11-2012, 01:45 PM
John, I was playing off the support group theme that you.. oh, nevermind. lol

Oh! I get it now. :) Like I said, long day at work so I'm a bit thicker than usual.

My luck, they'd send me the longshoreman.

BWAAA-HAAAA - now that brings up a mental image... :)

John

Dan Uke
12-11-2012, 01:58 PM
I've confirmed in the past with Ko'olau that Opahcat is John Kitakis. I was looking at the MBD as well...a little trigger shy right now.

coolkayaker1
12-11-2012, 02:16 PM
I've confirmed in the past with Ko'olau that Opahcat is John Kitakis. I was looking at the MBD as well...a little trigger shy right now.
Okay, sounds good, Daniel. I think I got sidetracked by Killin, whoever that is, in this, the initial Opahcat thread, wqith several posters (eg gMoney) having bought from him before. Andrew K chimes in. but it may not be Opahcat (actually, hard to follow in the thread):

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?69622-Blem-refurbished-Ponos-on-ebay&highlight=opahcat

Anyhoo, in keeping with your style--and I agree with it--buy one ultimate baritone and be done with it (rather than the step-by-step method you and I have used on every other sized ukulele...lol). Martin baritone, Pohaku, something sweet like that recent Kamaka of yours (heck, even a Kamaka bari). Cheers, friend.

mds725
12-11-2012, 08:32 PM
I love my Pono baritone, which ZI bought through HMS, and the Pono six-string tenor factory second I bought from Opahcat. I don't think anyone who bought one of the Ponos currently available will regret it. Congratulations!

OldePhart
12-13-2012, 01:33 PM
MBs are gone...only one MBD left... :horns:

connor013
12-13-2012, 02:23 PM
MBs are gone...only one MBD left... :horns:

My MB arrived this afternoon -- and no, I'm not above gloating.:p

Teek
12-13-2012, 03:42 PM
My understanding is that Opahcat is Ko'olau selling older model seconds, Kilin Reece is paradise-ukulele who works (ed) with Ko'olau and took on some of the same stock. I have bought from both. I bought a lovely 6 string from Opahcat. The 8 string Pono from Kilin was set up perfectly and strung with my choice of strings and it is awesome. I sold a Kamaka for it because I can't play sopranos anymore.

OldePhart
12-14-2012, 01:37 PM
My understanding is that Opahcat is Ko'olau selling older model seconds, ...

That makes sense because I just got my MBD (I wasn't expecting it for a week or more!) and I've been over it with a fine tooth comb, holding it every which way to the light, etc. Usually imperfections in the finish are pretty obvious on a gloss uke. The only thing I can find that would make this one a second is the "2" stamped inside the body! It does, however, have silver tuners and I think that the current ones come with gold tuners.

I suspect that maybe what they've done is take a few older models that weren't really seconds and just sold them as seconds to clear them out of the inventory. Just a guess but it fits what I'm looking at.

John

didgeridoo2
12-14-2012, 01:49 PM
That makes sense because I just got my MBD (I wasn't expecting it for a week or more!) and I've been over it with a fine tooth comb, holding it every which way to the light, etc. Usually imperfections in the finish are pretty obvious on a gloss uke. The only thing I can find that would make this one a second is the "2" stamped inside the body! It does, however, have silver tuners and I think that the current ones come with gold tuners.

I suspect that maybe what they've done is take a few older models that weren't really seconds and just sold them as seconds to clear them out of the inventory. Just a guess but it fits what I'm looking at.

John
It's a nice uke, isn't it John? It exceeded my expectations and I think the value is fantastic.

cahaya
12-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I think it is high time someone start a UAS anonymous forum - a place where u discuss where to get super deal uke

OldePhart
12-14-2012, 02:12 PM
It's a nice uke, isn't it John? It exceeded my expectations and I think the value is fantastic.

Definitely. Not only was it a great deal I wasn't expecting it to arrive for another week. The standard free shipping estimated the 19th to the 26th. My wife and I are going to be out of town for Christmas and I was going to tell my daughter tonight to make sure that she watches the porch for packages. So, I was more than a little surprised to find it on my porch when I got home.

OldePhart
12-14-2012, 02:13 PM
I think it is high time someone start a UAS anonymous forum - a place where u discuss where to get super deal uke

UAS is never anonomous - that would take all the fun out of it! :biglaugh:

Dan Uke
12-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Definitely. Not only was it a great deal I wasn't expecting it to arrive for another week. The standard free shipping estimated the 19th to the 26th. My wife and I are going to be out of town for Christmas and I was going to tell my daughter tonight to make sure that she watches the porch for packages. So, I was more than a little surprised to find it on my porch when I got home.

It's great you got it!! Share with us the sound samples since you are not going to share in Uke Talk :p

OldePhart
12-14-2012, 02:56 PM
It's great you got it!! Share with us the sound samples since you are not going to share in Uke Talk :p

Well...you're the one that said you didn't want to hear about it... :)

(I've updated the uke talk thread.)

I probably won't get a chance to shoot any videos with it until after Christmas - or maybe I'll take it with me and shoot some videos while at the out-laws but I might not get to upload them until I get home.

John

wconley
12-14-2012, 04:37 PM
Must resist
Must resist
Must resist
Click!
Oops

I guess once it arrives my Pono MB baritone will be up for sale, along with a couple others to thin the herd. My wife's started counting the cases. :D

OldePhart
12-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Must resist
Must resist
Must resist
Click!
Oops

I guess once it arrives my Pono MB baritone will be up for sale, along with a couple others to thin the herd. My wife's started counting the cases. :D

LOL. Nonsense - you need one tuned linear and one tuned reentrant...that's my excuse anyway. :)

John

Ben_H
12-14-2012, 09:39 PM
LOL. Nonsense - you need one tuned linear and one tuned reentrant...that's my excuse anyway. :)

John

OI !! That's my excuse :rulez:

I'll let you borrow it if you really want though. ;)

I'm now working on the "I need a cuatro to be able to play low re-entrant tuning because......." excuse.

This will be followed at some point by the 8-string baritone explanation though it will have to compliment the "I need a tenor 8 string because it will go nicely at the new trad folk, diddley diddley night I am attending where sopranos are seen but not heard," excuse.

Luckily, because it was so cheap, I didn't have to roll one out for the bowl back mandolin I just bought other than to say I've always wanted one but ukulele has given me the confidence to give it a go.

coolkayaker1
12-15-2012, 02:23 AM
Just curious, John, and a reasonable question for this thread, methinks: can you spot what makes it a second?

OldePhart
12-15-2012, 03:59 AM
Just curious, John, and a reasonable question for this thread, methinks: can you spot what makes it a second?

I think I finally found it but it's pretty minor. It looks like either the bridge was mounted about 1mm offset toward the D side or the neck is mounted at a very slight angle. At the twentieth fret there is a bit less than 1mm difference in the distance from the D string to the edge of the fretboard and the E string and the edge of the fretboard. I had to break out a mm ruler to make sure (on a soprano maybe 1mm would be noticeable, on a bari, not so much). I would never have noticed it if I hadn't been trying so hard to see what makes this a second.

Frankly, I've seen bigger variations than that on a couple of the luthier-built ukes that have sold for rather princely sums here in the marketplace...

John

wconley
12-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Got my baritone the other night. Thought I found the flaw in the finish but then it buffed out with my sleeve. Sounds great and looks great. I'm a very happy camper... Strummer

chrimess
12-22-2012, 03:36 AM
Guys, not just opahcat but also seller koolauukulele is in the bay and they have great bargains on their Pono guitars large and small- got me one too.

coolkayaker1
12-22-2012, 03:38 AM
Guys, not just opahcat but also seller koolauukulele is in the bay and they have great bargains on their Pono guitars large and small- got me one too.

This is just too confusing. Is Opahcat Koolaukulele's second cousin, or third cousin once removed?

chrimess
12-22-2012, 03:58 AM
Everyone should be allowed to have an alter ego or two- just like Mr Hyde.

This is just too confusing. Is Opahcat Koolaukulele's second cousin, or third cousin once removed?