Daddario

wactechnique

Reaction score
I restrung my ukulele. i put daddarios on it. are those strings any good. they sound alright. what do u guys think?

Thank you guys. i feel better about my purchase. i actually have the j53 for the concert.

i put them on my pineapple and at first i noticed a slight difference, but when i compared them to my friend's ukulele who has the same exact one but with stock strings the difference was amazing, i really like these strings

I restrung my ukulele. i put daddarios on it. are those strings any good. they sound alright. what do u guys think?

The only thing that should matter is what you think. That being said, personally, D'Addario (Tenor) `ukulele strings suck, bad, probably slightly worse than another brand of strings that are very popular.

You may be happier with their Pro Arte set as already mentioned (the J71 is for Tenor, J92 is for Concert). Unfortunately, I don't think D'Addario did a great job in matching the strings for re-entrant tuning, but low g tuning (if you order individually) will work well. Still, I would get those before the J53.

If you like black nylon strings, find a Classical Pro Arte set of J49's (which is the black nylon version of the J45 Clear, which makes up the J92 set).

-Aaron

like everyone said, its good to experiment. I had them on but the 1 string snapped on me.

Im using Worths atm. I loves worths!

But overall, when i had the daddario strings on; i had no dramas except for the breaking of the 1st string. But it was my fault. I kinda "over did" crosscurrent LOL

I just recently changed my strings from Aquilas to the D'Addarios Pro Artes. I love the sound of it because it sounds more crisp. I have the D'Addarios on my Kala Concert Ukulele. They are great high tension strings!

hey there,

i bought d'addario pro arte concert and tenor string from the ukulele underground store... i wanted to support this place! ha.

i restrung my kamaka concert last night and like them so far.

really easy on the fingers!!!

i did have to search the forum and figure out which string goes where and of course the answer was here.

so, if you need to replace you strings or just want to try them get them here!!!!

joel

I have the J71s on my Pono/tenor/cedar. I replaced a set of Ko'olau low-G wound-C strings. I like the J71s more than some, but they're not as bright and loud as Aquila strings. Haven't tried the black Pro Arte strings yet, but I have a set in waiting.

Haven't tried the black Pro Arte strings yet, but I have a set in waiting.

Is that the J50 set? If so, did you order the full set of 6, or individually? I used to get them individually from juststrings, but they don't carry them anymore.

I'm waiting for MGM to get his D'Addario dealership so I can order customs sets. . . . . .

-Aaron

Is that the J50 set? If so, did you order the full set of 6, or individually? I used to get them individually from juststrings, but they don't carry them anymore.

I'm waiting for MGM to get his D'Addario dealership so I can order customs sets. . . . . .

-Aaron

Aaron,
Stringsbymail.com has better prices on strings and carry the J50 singles for 70 cents to $1.45 per a string. Are these much better than the Savaraz Alliance in your opinion? If so, I may have to try them.

Excellent, THANK YOU! And they have the new T2 Titanium Trebles, gotta go place my order now.

As for being better than Savarez, I wouldn't say that. I used to string only D'Addario because they were cheaper than Savarez. Then I got down to the numbers - what's the difference between spending $12 for a set of strings, compared to $4? When the instrument costs more that rack, the answer is nothing, so, the switch to Savarez. Sometimes, logic takes time.

However, I still use D'Addario for certain instruments, and certain clients. Ledward, for instance, prefers the J50's over Savarez 540J, both for sound and playability (but that's for his instrument, which is very resonant for a cutaway, and always plugged in).

I find I can drop the action more on the J46/J50 compared to the 540J. After that, it seems that when I string the J46 v. the J50, most (not all) prefer the sound of the 50. Not sure why, but I'm sometimes particular to the sweet sound of the 46, but agree that the brighter 50 for all around play stays strung on longer.

Bottom line, I use both, depending on the instrument, and the player. J50 on a Koa/Spruce (that my son plays) & Maple/Spruce 6 string, and 540J on a Quilted Maple/Spruce (that my other son plays). I have 540R on a Koa/Cedar that the baby plays.

These are older instruments, and my bracing is a little lighter than before, so the Savarez have become more of a mainstay. I find the D'Addario drives Spruce tops (mine anyway) really well, but Savarez will give a better overall kani to the right instrument.

Laron, is your preference for high or normal tensions? Just curious. . .
-Aaron

Last edited:
Aaron,
I use the normal tension for C,E,A on my ukes and high tension for the G strung re-entrant. This string setup was recommended by David Hurd of Kawika Ukuleles. He analyzed the strings which can be read on his site, very technical, but you'll get his drift. There was a time on the older forums where many referred to his website for info.

I use these strings on most of my ukes, Fluke too. As you well know, the strings are very bright, clear, and with good sustain. It may have too much sustain for some ukes, again depending on the sound one desires. I have compared these strings to a certain popular string and find that for my ukes, this string still is supreme although a bit more in price. For my ukes with cedar tops, I find that these strings add trebble clarity whereas the wood combination brings out a rich sound, a good combination...of course, in my string opinion.

I believe the black Daddario strings are J53 or J54.

I'd like to know how the J54's sound compared to the J71. Info on the site states (J54) that its warm black nylon. Personally (and others that have heard it), the J50 series tends to be brighter than the J46 series (clear). I'm thinking if the J54's are not brighter, they may be a different string, or a different tension.

I have one D'Addario J6504 string on my soprano uke... I kinda broke my A string when I first got it...

:) It sounds ok :), but I admit I have no real preference.

--Nut

The 6504 is supposed to be for the 4th string (but marketed in an old tuning). Those are not the Pro Arte series, and, well, you know about D'Addario normal `ukulele strings.

I use the normal tension for C,E,A on my ukes and high tension for the G strung re-entrant.

The nice thing about D'Addario is their availability of not only different tensions, but different composites as well.
Whats funny is the J71 is listed as a normal tension string, but is made of the high tension J46 series, as well as the extra hard tension J44 of the re-entrant G (not sure if this is the string set that you use). I usually go the "opposite" way on my re-entrant G (which is only on my 6 anyway), meaning, instead of slacking a higher tension "A" string for the 4th course, I take a "normal" tension "E" and tighten it up to G for the 4th string. Don't ask me why, just my thing about not wanting to slack strings for tuning (of course, switching to GCEG is another story).

BTW - got an email showing my order shipped, whoo hoooo - more J50's on the way, with a sampling of the new T2. I'm being hopeful. . . (of course, gotta have the Savarez in there as well, since I'm running out).

Just noticed, this thread has been hijacked, hasn't it?

-Aaron

Last edited:
Aaron, just slightly and we'll surivive. However, I think it's in-line with how the responses were going. Your dialog with uluapoundr provided good info on strings. I believe you said it best . . .
Kekani said:
. . .The only thing that should matter is what you think.

I always buy two packs of strings in case they break and that is exactly what i did with the pro artes from the uu store. I love them, hands down. I hate my aquilas and now I am in love with D'addario. I would deffinetely use them. But as for most things in music, its a matter of preference. What it really comes down too is what you want to hear from your ukulele. I like a mellow sound, so aquilas just didnt make me happy. Now with the D'addarios I have that mellow sound that I adore. So look here on UU to find out what kinds of different strings make the different sounds, and/or just go experiment with some strings. buy a set, try em on for a week or two and see if you like them.

Top Bottom