20 Celtic Finger-style Uke Tunes Rob Mackillop

Barbablanca

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I found a few references to this author here, people seemed to like his stuff generally, but I couldn't find any reference to this one. Has anyone got it? Does it have Tab and Sheet Music or just the latter?

In short - breaking into song:

I've been a wild strummer for many a year
But now it is time to learn tunes, I do fear.
As I can't read music, `twill have to be tab,
So does anyone know if its crap or its fab? :rolleyes:

I have his Sanz and 20 Progressive Studies books and both include standard notation as well as tab.

Just looked on the Mel Bay site where they let you see a couple pages, and the Celtic book has both (look under the "Samples" tab).

http://www.melbay.com/Products/22129BCD/20-celtic-fingerstyle-uke-tunes.aspx

I may have to break down and get his Celtic book. I do like his arrangements in general.

Ken Middleton has quite a few free Celtic tabs on his site and a ebook for sale.

http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

I have three of his books, Gaspar Sanz, American tunes and the celtic one. Celtic is a bit harder, just cos i'ts more diddley diddley. Good fun though.

I have his Sanz and 20 Progressive Studies books and both include standard notation as well as tab.

Just looked on the Mel Bay site where they let you see a couple pages, and the Celtic book has both (look under the "Samples" tab).

http://www.melbay.com/Products/22129BCD/20-celtic-fingerstyle-uke-tunes.aspx

I may have to break down and get his Celtic book. I do like his arrangements in general.

Ken Middleton has quite a few free Celtic tabs on his site and a ebook for sale.

http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks guys. I think I'll start off on something simpler and then pick it up later if I can see some advancement in this new style I am exploring (combining chords and melodies).

The celtic book is mainly melody with only occasional chords. It's not like working your way through Mark Nelson's finger style book. The Sanz book has more chord melody with the american tunes half way between sanz and celtic.

I have the Celtic book and I find it to be reasonably playable (been playing for almost 3 years). You might need to be able to find the 5th and 7th fret reasonably well to have some of the songs be easy. I feel that it is easier than John King's books.

I have the Celtic book and I find it to be reasonably playable (been playing for almost 3 years). You might need to be able to find the 5th and 7th fret reasonably well to have some of the songs be easy. I feel that it is easier than John King's books.

Also, John King's books are an education.

Another good play to start is Tony Mizen's Renaissance book. Great songs with structures that influence folk and rock music. Good finger picking exercises that prepare you for MacKillop's books.

I own all his books. They are excellent. My fave is the '20 Progresssive' one.

This one is on my Christmas list. I got a John King one for my birthday and am yet to attempt it as it looked a bit scary. :uhoh:

BTW ukeof carl I'm v impressed with your 4 XMas song arrangement.

I own all his books. They are excellent. My fave is the '20 Progresssive' one.

I just got this book for Chanukah, I was working on it with my teacher today. The false harmonics and such. He liked the book a lot and felt it had a good progression of techniques. I just want to learn and play and keep buying books.

This one is on my Christmas list. I got a John King one for my birthday and am yet to attempt it as it looked a bit scary. :uhoh:

BTW ukeof carl I'm v impressed with your 4 XMas song arrangement.

Thanks be much.

Rob MacKillop here. Any questions about my Celtic book, or any of the others, just ask.

the book is awesome and great for St Paddy's day!

Barbablanca, I think you could handle the Celtic ones pretty well. It's a nice book!!

And it does have both tab and standard notation.

Top Bottom