Robert Johnson for Ukulele

Barbablanca

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Anyone had their hands on this book?

It's got the same photo on the cover and the same sepia tint as the "RJ for Guitar" published recently and considered difficult, but definitive. But that says nothing, because there aren't that many photos considered authentic of the author of Come on in my Kitchen....

So, anyone actually held it in their hands and thought of heading down to the Crossroads with it? ;)

Wow,that is cool!

Now THAT would be a Book I'd buy.

I just don't get the RJ thing, and white middle class folks in 2012 shouldn't be singing about how hard it is working in the cotton field BECAUSE THEY DON"T WORK IN THE COTTON FIELDS - It's a complete travesty - like the house of blues.

In fact, it's on US AMazon for $12.23, so I just did. I love those songs, and have CDs from Allman Bros to Clapton to other bluesman covering RJ. Plus, somewhere here (digs around in CD box) I have the complete Johnson box set. Thanks you, B, for mentioning this. Very much.

Webby, I sing about the working poor in homage to those that built this country, and in respect to their original tunes, not because I am one of them.

I'm not Chubby Checker, Elton John or Thelonius Monk, either, but I savage their original tunes just as brutally.

Last edited:
I just got it last night. It's excellent. Believable renditions of some incredible music. The ukulele translates these songs well. One observation is that many of these songs are in the same key and have a similar structure. That's good and bad. Once you learn some of the riffs, many of the songs sound very similar, but you do quickly learn a lot of songs and you really get to explore a couple keys in detail. You do have to be familiar with the music. There are songs were the notes are sparse and it is all about syncopation, timing and feel.

Definitely recommend.

I just don't get the RJ thing, and white middle class folks in 2012 shouldn't be singing about how hard it is working in the cotton field BECAUSE THEY DON"T WORK IN THE COTTON FIELDS - It's a complete travesty - like the house of blues.

Ummm... Because guys like Robert Johnson,Blind Willie Johnson, Howlin Wolf,leadbelly,muddy waters,John Lee Hooker, etc. were part of the core of what makes most music what it is. For example,howlin wolf and the rolling stones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILFjY2mbarg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

To each his own, but the blues has nothing to do with working the cotton fields. It has to do with embracing your adversity and finding away to celebrate it. Not sure what kind of music you listen to, but if it is anything even remotely pop from over the past 60 years, chances are it is heavily influenced by this music. Wouldn't be to hard to make a direct connection to Jake S, easy to see the influence in the music of James Hill.

I see where you are coming from Webby. Nothing worse then a poser, but this is just music that makes a lot of sense to me and I think really transcends issues of culture, race and time.

It's on my Xmas list so no, not yet!

Anyone had their hands on this book?

It's got the same photo on the cover and the same sepia tint as the "RJ for Guitar" published recently and considered difficult, but definitive. But that says nothing, because there aren't that many photos considered authentic of the author of Come on in my Kitchen....

So, anyone actually held it in their hands and thought of heading down to the Crossroads with it? ;)

I just got it last night. It's excellent. Believable renditions of some incredible music. The ukulele translates these songs well. One observation is that many of these songs are in the same key and have a similar structure. That's good and bad. Once you learn some of the riffs, many of the songs sound very similar, but you do quickly learn a lot of songs and you really get to explore a couple keys in detail. You do have to be familiar with the music. There are songs were the notes are sparse and it is all about syncopation, timing and feel.

Definitely recommend.
Good point about knowing the syncopation. I've had it for a while and haven't gotten around to focusing on it, except the first song or so. Looking forward to getting into it when I have a little more time.

I don't know a single blues about working in the cotton fields. ;)

RJ's songs are largely about his relationship with women and his feelings of existential angst - they are two themes which have not changed all that much (in their essence) since the thirties. And, as has been said above, the Blues is the grandfather of ROCK! - I cam to manhood to the tunes of Cream, Fleetwood Mac and later Led Zeppelin, etc.

I think I'll take the plunge! Thanks for the advice guys!

:drool:
Right , and for now on no one should play "fly me to the moon" unless they are actually flying to the moon. ;)

Last edited:
IMHO, A reading of Leroi Jones' (Amiri Baraka's) book "Blues People" might shed some light on webby's comments.
Classic blues are wonderful to listen to and interesting to study. But anybody in the 21st century posing as an
early-mid 20th century African-American blues musician would look and sound quite naive.

I most definitely see your point, but then you don't have to be a white Austrian to play Mozart either, thank God.

I most definitely see your point, but then you don't have to be a white Austrian to play Mozart either, thank God.

Yes, and everyone's definition of poser is different. Is a poser one who plays badly, plays well, or plays at all? You'd limit yourself terribly if avoiding anything modern that wasn't blues influenced. Hope you like atonal!

I worked in the fields but I'm not black. Can I play the blues? Eine kleine cottonfield musik, anyone?

"Can blue men sing the whites?" as Bonzo Dog famously sang ;)

Well, I have just ordered a copy new from another store for about $7 :)

My copy arrived today. I've only had a quick flick through, but it looks very comprehensive and suitably difficult (not a bad thing). I will most likely have an attempt at some of the arrangements over the weekend, so I'll let you know how I get on.

:)

What would be nice

What would be really nice for us wannabe cottonpickers is for someone good to make a video of the song exactly as it is tabbed so that we can get the syncopation down.

I imagine it's not exactly as RJ played it after he sold his soul to the devil.

There's a real nice ap called The Amazing Slower Downer. You can put in a song or a video of a song and it slows it down as much as you want yet keeps it in the same key. It's only $50. Google it.

It's interesting that way back then, RJ was eating tamales. Texas born.

Tamales aren't always thought of as soul food, even if they're red hot.

Must have been some mixing of the cultures.

Top Bottom