Ravi Shankar dead at 92

webby

Reaction score
We lost a great ambassador for music today, thoughts are with his family, love you Ravi, you will be missed.

This is sad. So glad I was able to see him perform a few years ago. He and his daughter were incredible.

He had to cancel, for health reasons, a concert I was planning to go to a year or two ago. I first learned of his music through the Beatles (I believe he plays sitar on one of the versions the Beatles recorded of Across The Universe, and his influence on George Harrison is legendary), but I came to appreciate him and his music on their own terms. My thoughts are with his family.

I'll never forget the wonderful moment in the Concert for Bangladesh where Ravi and his musicians come on and play something quick and appear to be twisting their tuners (banjo style) as they play. They stop.... and the audience applaud. Ravi turns to the microphone and says: "Well, if you enjoyed the tuning up, I hope you'll enjoy the actual pieces we're going to play!" :)

Ravi did more than his fair share to popularise Indian music beyond the sub-continent and help found the "World" music scene. His daughter is also a wonderful musician.

If there's an afterlife, George will be welcoming his old friend right now - probably with a Ukulele in his hand showing off how he's got ragas on the soprano down to a "T" after.

RIP Ravi. Great stuff.

I wasn´t aware until very recently that Norah Jones is also Shankar´s daughter.

It was a distinct honor to attend two of his concerts in recent years. Words fail. Thank you. RIP The world of music has lost a great saint.

Ravi Shankar and Yehudi Menuhin met in 1952 and later recorded and released three West Meets East recordings in 1967, 1968, 1976. The 1999 digitally remastered EMI West Meets East recording is a collection of the best of these three and well worth adding to your musical collection.

Back around 2001 in San Diego, CA I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a tiny blurb in the paper that Ravi Shankar
would appear at a local book store for a book signing of his autobiography. Furthermore, only about 20 people showed
up. It was such a delight to be able to sit quietly with him and ask him questions. I still can't understand exactly what
a Raga is, but I know I love it.

He lived a long life, and will always be remembered as the guy who turned the Beatles into weirdos.

Godspeed Ravi!

Top Bottom