Capo use

drbekken

Reaction score
I do not use capos, neither on guitar nor on the ukulele. I don't like them, since they take away access to the whole fretboard.
Still, I understand that many people like them.
Any views on this here on the forum?

Well it can be a quick way of changing the key, but if you're good at transposing on the fly, then you won't need one as such... Unless the progression isn't going the way you want, and maybe it sounds silly to go way up the fretboard. Then maybe a capo would be a huge help even if you have mad skillz at changing key quickly.

Since I don't sing and play, I haven't had a need for one, but it could happen. I suppose some are more ergonomic than others.

I can only fingerpick a few songs so I use a capo when someone in our group wants to play a song in a different key than I know.

It keeps me from having to learn the songs all over again.

Well you could always have a ukulele at hand tuned to each different pitch you want to use.

Not me but someone I know:rolleyes:

When I'm busking a capo is handy as I only have the one instrument with me. I turn on the tuner and retune when I fit/move the capo.

Anthony

I've tried a capo on ukulele but didn't really find it useful. On the guitar, I use it all the time.

Some arrangements, especially lead parts, only sound 'right' if played in the original position they were written in, using the same chord grips, open strings, etc. If you change keys and transpose the melodic lines, they usually don't sound the same, so I'll use a capo to allow myself to play the lead line as it was intended in the new key.

I also use it when playing with another guitarist. If we're playing in C, I'll capo on 5 and play in 'G'. I play a lot of country, bluegrass, and rock, so doing this breaks up the tonal palette a bit - when everyone is strumming the same chord, it gives you a little variety in sound and allows to maintain that 'open chord' feeling without having to resort to a lot of barre chords. Plus, it's a lot easier.;)

here's an example of using the capo to get the right sound in a certain key.... one of my favorite guitarists, Dave Rawlings. Notice around 1:45 when he reaches in his pocket and slips on a quick capo without missing a beat - lets him play the solo in G with the chord shapes and positioning that gives the lead part it's distinctive sound.

I had my baritone strung in Bb tuning with Southcoast's flatwound linear strings. Sounded lovely and a 2nd fret capo ment I could play with the uke group in tune.

DrB, I'd be very enthused to see a video of your great "noodling" on the baritone dGBE with a capo on a fret (3 or 5 or something).

I think it'd be uniquely interesting (especially after watching the video at 1:45 min).

Speaking of capos, can you use a guitar capo on a ukulele?

Depends on the capo. Ukulele necks are thinner, and some capos are not adjustable to that dimension. Not sure if you can get a tight enough fit for it to work. Mandolin, banjo, and uke capos usually work better.

There is always the pencil and rubber band trick.

–Lori

I love capos for guitar and (especially baritone) uke. Great for playing songs in the "hard" keys using the "easy" chords, and easy to quickly move songs from difficult-to-sing to friendly-to-Ralf's-voice keys. Also, I'm always happy to have a few open strings to play in a uke arrangement, and a capo gives me some open strings in keys like E flat, B flat, and A flat.

I use a Shubb ukulele capo. Works on all my ukes. Love it.

People sometimes call capos 'cheaters'. I'm not one of those folks. It's a tool. I get bored easily. I like change. Sometimes I'll try transposing and then go back to the original chord shapes with a capo. It's like using a pick with a uke. It can change things up and I've spent decades learning to use a flat pick on the guitar, so I think, why not?

People sometimes call capos 'cheaters'. I'm not one of those folks. It's a tool. I get bored easily. I like change. Sometimes I'll try transposing and then go back to the original chord shapes with a capo. It's like using a pick with a uke. It can change things up and I've spent decades learning to use a flat pick on the guitar, so I think, why not?
I would never call a capo a 'cheater'. Hope I didn't give that impression. Sometimes, though, I try to do a little pro and con, and I somehow feel they are getting in my way. However, I may try one now, just to check out some of the tips posted in this thread.

I have bought a capo years ago...used it a few times and now just a dust collector and I even at this moment don't know where it really is....LOL

I would never call a capo a 'cheater'. Hope I didn't give that impression. Sometimes, though, I try to do a little pro and con, and I somehow feel they are getting in my way. However, I may try one now, just to check out some of the tips posted in this thread.

Maybe start with the pencil and rubber band, like Lori suggested.

Speaking of capos, can you use a guitar capo on a ukulele?

I've used Kyser capos on all my tenor ukes for years. Just recently got a Kyser banjo/mandolin capo, and it's certainly more appropriately sized for the uke.

Some songs just sound good in certain chord voicings, and the capo helps preserve that when you need to change the key.

- FiL

quick change guitar capo on ukes work for me but they really get in the way of some chords in the new first position.

I wrote a song a while back in the key of F, and after working on it for quite a while, I realized that the key of G would better fit my vocal range. I could have just transposed everything up two frets, but after so much practicing, I found it hard adjusting to the new positions, and some of the chords didn't seem to sound quite right. So I bought a capo and played it with the original shapes, it worked for me.

Top Bottom