Fingering a passing m7 from a D shape

Skrik

Reaction score
My current project is nailing "The Sandwich Islands Jig" etude by John Watson (see below). There is a passage that calls for G# (7775) followed by Em7 (7777), going back to the G#, all within a single beat. My first thought is to hammer 5-7, then pull off back to 5 on the first string.

It seems to me that the soprano is at last too small, else I have too few fingers. Or there's something I'm missing.

Does anyone have an idea how I can play this in time?

My current project is nailing "The Sandwich Islands Jig" etude by John Watson (see below). There is a passage that calls for G# (7775) followed by Em7 (7777), going back to the G#, all within a single beat. My first thought is to hammer 5-7, then pull off back to 5 on the first string.

It seems to me that the soprano is at last too small, else I have too few fingers. Or there's something I'm missing.

Does anyone have an idea how I can play this in time?

If it's re-entrant tuning, the 5 of 7775 is the same note as the first 7 (on your g string), so maybe you could just barre across seven, but just play the first three strings, followed by all four. Maybe with up-down starting at your E string.

Bar the bottom three strings with your ringfinger, fret the topstring with your indexfinger and just 'lean back' with your ringfinger to complete the full barre.

If it's re-entrant tuning, the 5 of 7775 is the same note as the first 7 (on your g string), so maybe you could just barre across seven, but just play the first three strings, followed by all four. Maybe with up-down starting at your E string.

That might work, except I'd have to strum up (to sound the D) on a beat. I'll play around with it for a day or two, to see if I can make it work.

If it's the bit I'm thinking of, you actually don't play the 4th string. So, it's just:

5--7--5--
7--------
7--------
---------

On the repeat, I tend to just let rip, so the whole thing sounds more like

5--7--5--
7--7--7--
7--7--7--
0--0--0--

So, I think you're making it harder than it is.

Hope that helps! And thanks for playing my music. :)

If it's the bit I'm thinking of, you actually don't play the 4th string. So, it's just:

5--7--5--
7--------
7--------
---------

On the repeat, I tend to just let rip, so the whole thing sounds more like

5--7--5--
7--7--7--
7--7--7--
0--0--0--

So, I think you're making it harder than it is.

Hope that helps! And thanks for playing my music. :)

Well, now I feel a bit silly. I really should check one more time before I throw my hands in the air. Thanks for the answer, John. And thanks for the music.

Having played around with this for a week or two, and getting frustrated that my fingers won't allow me to hammer on and pull off (I have a damaged little finger on my left hand), I have hit upon a solution that works for me.

-5-t7-p5--2
-3--------2
-2--------0

The alternative voicing of the D chord sounds fuller, tapping the passing note with my right hand sounds right, and it all looks bloody impressive, like.

What do you think, John? Do I have your blessing?

Having played around with this for a week or two, and getting frustrated that my fingers won't allow me to hammer on and pull off (I have a damaged little finger on my left hand), I have hit upon a solution that works for me.

-5-t7-p5--2
-3--------2
-2--------0

The alternative voicing of the D chord sounds fuller, tapping the passing note with my right hand sounds right, and it all looks bloody impressive, like.

What do you think, John? Do I have your blessing?

Well, it's a G, not a D chord (I think you're thinking in guitarese). And I'd go to 0033 after that, rather than 0022 ;) Typo, methinks. But yes, it is a fuller, more open sound, and of course you have my blessing. :)

You're absolutely keeping to the spirit of the piece, which is really what performance is all about. I'm not one of those "you must play note X in exactly Y fashion to achieve result Z" guys. Music is about communication, and thank God we all communicate in different ways.

Happy strumming! (and tapping)

Top Bottom