Bracing question

ModlrMike

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using this shape for my next build. Would this bracing pattern be appropriate? The aim is to go tenor sized, about 8x12 inches.

tenor1.jpg

id say the x braces are too close to the sides in the lower bout rendering the whole thing to stiff.

Id say two or even just one fan brace would do it due to your loss of lower bout spread/deflection/vibratory good area.

overlay a normal tenor shape over this to view how much top area your losing

The bracing looks to be too stiff with that top shape. Why are you choosing that body shape with that bracing pattern? If the line toward the bottom is suppose to be the bridge saddle position, imo it is way too low and too close to bottom edge. I would move the bridge position up to the center of the bout, about half way between the sound hole and bottom edge, and reconfigure how many frets there are to the body. What you have drawn needs to be reconsidered. Like Rick says, maybe you should just build it and learn that way.

Those "backpacker" shaped things don't have much volume or tone, as far as I've experienced.
If you have to have that shape, you'll only need two braces, one above & one below the hole.
If the top is thin, a patch under the bridge.

Top Bottom