Jonah kumalae

strumsilly

Reaction score
An employee at the ALF where my mother-in-law resides said she had her grandfathers uke. she said it just sat in the closet with 1 string. I persuaded her to bring it in, and told her I'd look it over and put some strings on it if possible. here's what she brought in. I took 'er home, tightened the tuners, and strung er up. what a sweet little player. actions high, but it plays pretty sweet for the first 5 frets. has a couple cracks on the front and back, but pretty grain w/ some nice curl. should I tell her it's a piece of tourist junk, and offer her $25 to take it off her hands? haha
DSC03692-1.jpg

DSC03693.jpg

DSC03694.jpg

DSC03698.jpg

An employee at the ALF where my mother-in-law resides said she had her grandfathers uke. she said it just sat in the closet with 1 string. I persuaded her to bring it in, and told her I'd look it over and put some strings on it if possible. here's what she brought in. I took 'er home, tightened the tuners, and strung er up. what a sweet little player. actions high, but it plays pretty sweet for the first 5 frets. has a couple cracks on the front and back, but pretty grain w/ some nice curl. should I tell her it's a piece of tourist junk, and offer her $25 to take it off her hands? haha

Nice! Judging from the label, ca. 1916-1920.

did you get any photos of the headstock?

Aloha Andy,
You lucky buggah...so how much did you dish out bruddah....dam that is a deluxe model too....Happy Holidays...
YOU WANNA SELL....HA HA

Wow, that is a nice style 5! Give her $25 and I'll take it off your hands for $50 :) BTW, what strings are on it? I like my kumalae with fluro carbons. Brings out the sweetness.

Last edited:
she doesn't want to sell it. and I will encourage her to keep and play her family heirloom. the tone is amazing, and with a neck reset this would be a hard soprano to beat. I had a set of Aquilas I'd taken off another uke lying around so I put them on. They sound a little harsh on this little sweety though. came with a really nice old hsc too.

Top Bottom