String sizes?

HBolte

Reaction score
I just bought a soprano ukulele.

Looking at strings online I see that many manufacturers label strings sets as being for Soprano/Concert ukulele's.

The strings on my soprano are a MUCH smaller diameter than my Concert ukulele. Why would they label strings to fit both?

Thanks!

Labeling strings soprano/concert usually isn't about diameter, it's about length. Those strings are long enough for a soprano or concert ukulele, but not long enough for a tenor.

That makes sense. I guess then, like guitar strings, you choose the appropriate string by diameter according to the feel you want.

That makes sense. I guess then, like guitar strings, you choose the appropriate string by diameter according to the feel you want.
Kind of. String diameter depends on material which has a huge impact on sound - selecting strings usually includes some rounds of trial and error until you finally find the "right" strings for your uke. And don't expect these strings to be right for all your instruments, every ukulele is different... (the legendary Southcoast Guide to Tunings and Strings might be interesting to read in this context)

I'd assume you have some fluorocarbon strings on your soprano and probably nylons on the concert.

I'd assume you have some fluorocarbon strings on your soprano and probably nylons on the concert.

I have the stock strings on each. Worth CM on the KoAloha. I was just surprised at how thin they are. I am used to guitar strings, sold primarily by diameter, clearly displayed on the package. Ukulele packages don't show the diameter. I'll read the Southcoast Guide again, thanks.

Ukulele packages don't show the diameter.
I would assume that is because diameter is only a secondary "property" of Ukulele Strings, much more important is the material (which is quite often not clearly stated either) or even the brand/type.
Dunno about the different sounds of different non-steel guitar strings, but I do know that for ukuleles this is a whole science of its own (as you can see on the many discussions around "what strings to use")

Thanks. Yes, I am finding that string choice is much more involved than with guitar. I changed out the Kamaka strings on my HF-2 to Aquila last night. Not sure how I like them, I thought they would be a bit brighter. I'm going to go to Elderly today and pick up a variety of Worth strings and whatever else they recommend. Trying different strings is the only way to find out.

How would you describe the sound of the Living Water and Martin strings?

Living Waters are a bit mellower than the Aquilas, with a "rounder" sound. Aquilas are quite bright in comparison, with a little less sustain.
I've had them both and I prefer Living Waters - but that does not imply Aquilas being a bad choice (especially not on inexpensive laminate ukes like the MK-S or the famous Dolphin).

Top Bottom