Covered Bridge Tenor Curly Myrtle and WR Cedar build progress

Doc_J

Reaction score
For anyone who might be interested, I recently decided it was time to get a Covered Bridge Ukulele. (I've been wanting one for quite a while.) After discussing my sound preferences and wood options with Perry, I went with a Myrtle and Cedar Tenor. Perry and Terry have just started building it and are posting pictures of its progress on FaceBook.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Covered-Bridge-Ukuleles/194736710602006

Here's the first pics, from the Covered Bridge Ukuleles FB page. Beautiful wood selection and some nice tight grained cedar! It looks wonderful! With the cedar top it should be great warm sounding uke.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That is very beautiful wood. I am also hoping to work with Terry and Perry to create a uke for me in the future, when the funds allow it. As someone who is still quite new to the world of uke, I am wondering if you could provide any insight into your decision making on wood selection. What sound qualities are you hoping to achieve with these two woods? Did you consider other woods? Thanks.

I saw and liked the pics on Facebook. That is going to be one pretty ukulele!
My Covered Bridge redwood and myrtle concert is near completion (you can see that on Facebook as well. My name's Michael) and I'm so looking forward to it. Terry and Perry build beautiful instruments. Once the oil hits that myrtle and cedar, the grain is going to pop like crazy. I'm going to follow this build!

I saw and liked the pics on Facebook. That is going to be one pretty ukulele!
My Covered Bridge redwood and myrtle concert is near completion (you can see that on Facebook as well. My name's Michael) and I'm so looking forward to it. Terry and Perry build beautiful instruments. Once the oil hits that myrtle and cedar, the grain is going to pop like crazy. I'm going to follow this build!

Hi Michael,
I agree that curly myrtle will look fantastic.
Your CB is absolutely gorgeous. The redwood top and bloodwood binding look great together.

That is very beautiful wood. I am also hoping to work with Terry and Perry to create a uke for me in the future, when the funds allow it. As someone who is still quite new to the world of uke, I am wondering if you could provide any insight into your decision making on wood selection. What sound qualities are you hoping to achieve with these two woods? Did you consider other woods? Thanks.

Hi Ethan,

Those Covered Bridge ukes are all so good looking, it makes the choices of wood more difficult.

I tend to prefer warmer tones, more bass and midrange tones with clear note separation on the highs. Softwood tops tend to do that more, IMHO. Spruce can sound sparklely/brighter than cedar but was considered. I thought about redwood,too. That sure is pretty stuff.

I looked at Claro walnut and Myrtle for the back and sides. I wanted a US mainland wood that looked great and help get me the sound I want. Myrtle can be warmer. Finally, I discussed this Perry and Terry, to see what they would recommend in their designs for my objectives. Myrtle and cedar were the best combo for me. I also decided to go with koa binding and some bling with an abalone rosette.

Sure is fun watching your uke get built.

One new photo today: the fretboard.

This is beautiful ebony (Macassar?) with some great striping. I really like this striping in an ebony fretboard.
Abalone fret markers are in place too.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Sweet! Fun to watch your uke come to life, huh! I may have to order a custom build some day just for the pictures.

Another new photo from Covered Bridge Ukuleles : Sides are formed, neck and tail blocks attached, kerfing on the top, and soundboard in place.

Wow! My uke is coming together quite nicely, and more rapidly than I imagined. :)

attachment.php

More pics. It's taking shape and looking great. I can hardly wait to hear it. (Need another post as the pic limit is 4 and there is a 5th.)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Notice the arch in the back in this final picture of today. The arch improves the sound quality and projection, IMHO.
attachment.php

Ready to have binding (with two siblings)
attachment.php

Last edited:
Wow..looks nice..
keep the pictures of the build coming..

Neck is carved and the fretboard is attached. Woohoo. It's looking good.
Don't the abalone fret markers look great.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Finish really brings out the wood's beauty on this Covered Bridge

New pics. Look at this wood and workmanship! Wow!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Man oh man that is nice. Love all the blue in the abalone rosette... really pops off the chocolate browns in the cedar, myrtle and koa.

Beautiful uke. I got a chance to play some covered bridge ukuleles recently and, wow, they sound great. Belated congratulations on that uke.

-- Roy/xerhino

Top Bottom