Has The Flea Become a more Poweful Marketplace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobmyers

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am worried that marketeers on the Flea, (Resale sellers) are becoming a more power-full market mover than Ukulele Underworld.
Now that may not worry you but I have always purchased and sold on UU knowing that my market was solid and reliable. The word reliable does not exist on the Flea. Basically its a more compartmentalized Ebay.
What do you think? How about where you are going to purchase your next used Ukulele? Will you go with the Flea market with no recourse or stay with the UU?
This is an important question of trust and recourse?
Food for thought.
Bob Myers

When I'm in the market for a pre-owned ukulele, I generally check both. Should I sell one, I would likely cross-post as well.

Why would it matter?

Not a fan of a single sales market, sorry bob. It's up to the seller. They can sell how and where they like, and I prefer to buy where I like.

But a question - what is 'the flea'?

(Forgive my ignorance)

Not a fan of a single sales market, sorry bob. It's up to the seller. They can sell how and where they like, and I prefer to buy where I like.

But a question - what is 'the flea'?

(Forgive my ignorance)

I assume he's talking about the Flea Market Music Marketplace.

When I sell, I cross post, and have bought from both without any problems. Not sure what the issue is, myself.

Personally I like UU. The sellers are people I have encountered already in the forum and therefore have had a chance to get to know.

How about where you are going to purchase your next used Ukulele? Will you go with the Flea market with no recourse or stay with the UU?
This is an important question of trust and recourse?
I will buy where I can get the best deal on what I'm looking for. Of course, since I'm here more often than FMM or ebay, I tend to do a little more window shopping here even when I'm not looking for anything specific.

Recourse? You really have none here or at FMM other than the fact that if someone on UU shafts you and they're outed, they'll likely be unable to sell anything here again. That's small consolation on a deal gone awry if the seller won't make it good.

Of Course, One does not sell or buy his/her eggs in one basket......LOL nice to see several avenues to go to.... I think FMM appeals to more wider range buyers and sellers while
UU marketplace mostly caters to us which I like....we will have more oppertunity here, but a more better understanding of the worth of each ukelele....

I like both venues and check them daily. There's definitely more of a community feel to the UU Marketplace, but I feel the FMM may have a bigger audience. I have listed ukes on UU for months with no success, then once they get posted on FMM they're sold quickly.

Bought and sold on both sites. Never a problem. www.fleamarketmusic,com has some safeguards too. Unfortunately, greed and corruption is a part of our culture, so scammers are out there. Some common sense and sticking to the selling guidelines helps. as for the big re-sellers, well, I like buying from a known entity.

I hear you all, but the confidence factor has not been addressed enough. When I buy or sell on UU I have a warm fuzzy feeling about the people I deal with, communication is friendly, not businesslike and I have never been disappointed or I hope never disappointed another on UU. I can't say the same for the Flea. Yes I have dealt on that venue, but transactions are more like on ebay, impersonal and pure business. Maybe that's what most expect, but if I had a choice, I'd rather deal in person, failing that, I would rather deal with a long time UU member.
I bring this up as I have seen today a beautiful Mya Moe Tenor Ukulele listed on the Flea but not on UU, obviously the seller is not a member of UU, I would guess.
But my point is, if I was to purchase a premium uke such as that, I would be very much more comfortable to buy it from a UU member.
Just my thoughts.
Bob Myers

Have bought both flawed and flawless ukes on both sites with ultimate satsfaction. I prefer UU, but if FMM has what I want at the price I want, so be it.

wow, that MM is a real stunner. I would say in that lofty market I would advertize in as many venues as possible, the market is pretty small at that price range, not that it isn't worth it, I wish I had a few spare thousand around. I'm with most posters, I'd rather buy from a UUer, but I have bought successfully on FM, and both successfully and not so on the bay.

"I bring this up as I have seen today a beautiful Mya Moe Tenor Ukulele listed on the Flea but not on UU, obviously the seller is not a member of UU, I would guess."

Wow Bob that was a sweeping assumption. I am the seller and I am a proud member of UU. I don't feel flawed for only listing on FMM. I just have a current preference for a quick smooth transaction as I have pressing things going on in my life right now where I would not be able to give the attention and response to the potential comments on an ad placed here. Additionally, even when my life isn't overwhelmed sometimes I just want to sell something and not necessarily have conversation about it. That doesn't make me a dishonest seller. I am a long time eBay member with an excellent rating as a seller and buyer and I believe in an honest transaction on and off of eBay. I have bought and sold ukes on FMM (2 of them with values over $1k) with other great buyers and sellers with excellent results and the same on UU not always with great results. So regardless of the place it's definitely the people.

So to quench your curiosity here I am and I am the seller of the Mya Moe currently on FMM. And yes you are right, it is beautiful in all ways.

Kind regards,
Monica

I haven't bothered to list an instrument here for some time because they just sit and it seems pointless. I'd get views, but not even a comment on most. Instead I sell on my local CL or (shudder) eBay, usually for well more than I asked for here, and I have sold on FMM and almost listed my last sale there but sold it in two weeks off Craigslist, a really sweet uke to a very good home, for a very fair price. I have bought on UU however, and also on FMM. I certainly wouldn't bother posting an expensive uke here.

I'd guess about 75% of the FMM sellers are UU members.
I have bought and sold in both. PayPal gives buyers and sellers protection.

Although, I will sometimes cross-list a uke for sale there. It does seem a bit redundant. I do think FMM may be a wider audience. Anyways, I like having both UU Marketplace and FMM.

Yes, it does seem the more expensive a uke is, the slower the sale is here on UU.

I also go where the 'Uke is.. I do like UU slightly better as I can look at the seller's posts and get an idea of his/her integrity.
Either way, I ask for references, and haven't offended anyone yet.

Monica,

I wish I was in the market for a Sunburst UT-1 a few months ago as that would truly be the one I wanted!! Good luck in the sale. I agree with FMM, people just send you an email and it's sold relatively quickly. On UU, Lots of ooohhhhsss and aaahhhsss and I wish I had the money (I probably posted a few of those) and asking for sound samples and more pics with little intentions of buying the uke at the moment but could lead to a sale later.

It's great to have options to sell...nothing wrong with Ebay either!!!! People just don't like selling there because of fees...

In years past, I sold exclusively on Ebay and it worked out fine until their greed and "let's screw the sellers again" attitude took over. I left ebay in 2009 and since then, I sell my ukes on the Flea Market and UU sites, plus my own web site. Both the UU and the FMM offer this service to the seller and don't charge them a cent, and the sellers are very appreciative of this. I have found that both sites have the same viewers for the most part and that both deserve our support.

Monica,

I wish I was in the market for a Sunburst UT-1 a few months ago as that would truly be the one I wanted!! Good luck in the sale. I agree with FMM, people just send you an email and it's sold relatively quickly. On UU, Lots of ooohhhhsss and aaahhhsss and I wish I had the money (I probably posted a few of those) and asking for sound samples and more pics with little intentions of buying the uke at the moment but could lead to a sale later.

It's great to have options to sell...nothing wrong with Ebay either!!!! People just don't like selling there because of fees...

Thanks a bunch nongdam! The UT 2 already sold :) you should definitely try one some day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom