Ukulele Survival kit

Spanalier

Reaction score
My sister and I are at a loss about what to get our older sister for Christmas. Upon my urging, she recently picked up ukulele (around august). She hasn't really progressed much, but I think she still enjoys what she can play.

Basically, I figured that since I didn't know what else to get her, that my little sisters and I could throw together a uke survival kit so to speak. I figured I'd get her a capo, a new tuner, strings, and maybe a book to help give her a little jump into playing, but I'm not sure what else (I have the Hal Leonard uke book 1, but I haven't gotten around to showing her yet).

Got any ideas for what we could include? Also, title suggestions would be great.

Cool idea. Maybe one/more of the following?

1. A chord chart or book of chords (e.g. Roy Sakuma's Treasury of Ukulele Chords)? Yes, you can always look them up online, but sometimes it's nice to have when you can't get online.

2. Music CD (of ukulele music, of course). That may inspire her to play more. Do a search on here for CDs that people recommend. Depending on her tastes, there's Jake, James Hill, Daniel Ho, etc.

If she's only going to tune ukes, the Snark SN-6 can be had for less than $11 bucks with free shipping from Amazon and Ebay

Good earplugs! ...In case she goes to any big, loud 'ukulele gigs... The Etymotic ones are good...

But really, you've got it pretty much covered.

Okay...I'll risk being the downer...though I mean well. :)

You might consider that she's maybe just not that interested in the ukulele. You say she hasn't progressed much, but you think she's happy doing what she can. Could it be a case of just showing interest to please you? Just a possibility to consider. Chances are if she was really interested she would already have made some effort in that direction, getting a book or a tuner or what have you.

You might both be happier if you got her something unrelated to ukulele - otherwise you could just be putting more pressure on her.

Just something worth considering, I could be completely off base. :)

John

Okay...I'll risk being the downer...though I mean well. :)

You might consider that she's maybe just not that interested in the ukulele. You say she hasn't progressed much, but you think she's happy doing what she can. Could it be a case of just showing interest to please you? Just a possibility to consider. Chances are if she was really interested she would already have made some effort in that direction, getting a book or a tuner or what have you.

You might both be happier if you got her something unrelated to ukulele - otherwise you could just be putting more pressure on her.

Just something worth considering, I could be completely off base. :)

John

I'd kind of wondered that.

I'm with John. Why not just ask her what she wants? Just because you're into uke doesn't mean she is.

If she hasn't progressed a lot recently I'd just ask her how she's getting on with her ukulele, whether she needs any tips or maybe ask if she wants to borrow a book you've got. See what her reaction is.

Apart from that your gift idea sounds great!

Top Bottom