" K" Ukuleles vs Pono RTSH5/ATSH5/MTSH5?

What Tenor?

• KoAloha

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Kanile'a

Votes: 31 42.5%
  • Ko'olau

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Pono

Votes: 14 19.2%

• Total voters

Kamanaaloha

Kanaka
UU VIP
Reaction score
Kanile'a?

KoAloha?

Ko'olau?

Pono RTSH5?

Pono MTSH5?

Pono ACSH5?

I am interested in hearing all of your opinions...

Why a KoAloha over a Kanile'a? or visa versa?

Why a Ko'olau over a Kanile'a?

Why a Pono?

etc.

Thanks for your feedback...I am targeting which to go after/save for next.

The answer to your question is, in a word, encyclopedic.

Substitute different car models (volvo, mercedes, ford, chevy, subaru, etc). for the names of the ukuleles you've just listed and read it back to yourself.

That said, you should buy a Toyota.:D

Last edited:
The answer to your question is, in a word, encyclopedic.

Substitute different car models (volvo, mercedes, ford, chevy, subaru, etc). for the names of the ukuleles you've just listed and read it back to yourself.

That said, you should buy a Toyota.:D

not helping

The answer to your question if based on pure subjectivity. You will get answers "all over the place" except that many believe that Pono's, as good as they are, don't really deserve to be on the same list unless price is more important than quality. I am a big fan of the "law of diminishing returns." I think Pono's represent one of the best values for the money out there, but a Kanilea is still at the top of my list. That said, sit back and see what feedback you get. Not many short answers.

The answer to your question if based on pure subjectivity. You will get answers "all over the place" except that many believe that Pono's, as good as they are, don't really deserve to be on the same list unless price is more important than quality. I am a big fan of the "law of diminishing returns." I think Pono's represent one of the best values for the money out there, but a Kanilea is still at the top of my list. That said, sit back and see what feedback you get. Not many short answers.

Excellent reply! THANKS!!!

Interesting, a person in Hawaii with two nice long necked Kamakas and an assorted collection from your dad.
Why not get a Moore Bettah? Don't really have anything beyond that to add.

My BF has a tenor Ko'olau. It sounds awesome, looks gorgeous, and he's very happy with it.

We each have a Pono and both are great.

It really is very subjective though.

Any reason why Kamaka wasn't included in the mix? Just curious . . .

I have never played a Pono but do have tenors from Kamaka, Kanilea and KoAloha.

I think you will find a pretty even split here among fans of the big three K ukes (Kamaka, KoAloha and Kanilea). I would guess the split at 30/40/30 among them. Koolau are quite well respected, they just seem to be harder to come across than the other three.

I will leave out Kamaka since you did not ask about it.

I think (and all of this is only my two cents) that KoAloha has the best warranty, best customer service, brightest sound and loudest ukes. They have very love it/hate it styling with fans and detractors (musubi soundhole, crown headstock, etc.)

Kanilea has a gorgeous uv finish, a nice warm tone, and they use beautiful koa.

My personal fave of my ukes is my Kanilea (strung with Living Water low g strings which give it some bell tones and clarity). That being said, I love my KoAlohas and would usually recommend them over other brands due to warranty and the fact I have never heard a bad one.

Hope that helps, sorry for any typos - writing on my phone.

I have never played a Pono but do have tenors from Kamaka, Kanilea and KoAloha.

I think you will find a pretty even split here among fans of the big three K ukes (Kamaka, KoAloha and Kanilea). I would guess the split at 30/40/30 among them. Koolau are quite well respected, they just seem to be harder to come across than the other three.

I will leave out Kamaka since you did not ask about it.

I think (and all of this is only my two cents) that KoAloha has the best warranty, best customer service, brightest sound and loudest ukes. They have very love it/hate it styling with fans and detractors (musubi soundhole, crown headstock, etc.)

Kanilea has a gorgeous uv finish, a nice warm tone, and they use beautiful koa.

My personal fave of my ukes is my Kanilea (strung with Living Water low g strings which give it some bell tones and clarity). That being said, I love my KoAlohas and would usually recommend them over other brands due to warranty and the fact I have never heard a bad one.

Hope that helps, sorry for any typos - writing on my phone.

Since you play and own those...your thoughtful response is much appreciated and EXTREMELY HELPFUL!!! :cool:

Since you are in Hawaii you have the luxury of playing them all. Should be easy to decide for yourself then.

Last edited:
U have 3 of them...how do you like the KoAloha versus the Kanile'as? and why?

Well, there really is no comparison because they are different sizes. That said I like them all. :D

The KoAloha to me sounds like the ukulele I hear in my head when I think of Hawaii. The concerts are not as bright but sound good and are easier for me to play due to the longer neck. The tenor neck is longer again, I go to it for finger picking type songs. So each are very good at what they do. If that makes any sense...

As a ukester now with about six months experience (not much) here are a few of my thoughts. I have tried all of the low end ($100-400) tenors and found my Pono acacia tenor (about $400) to be a much better instrument, by far than any other <$500 uke I've tried. Just a week ago I purchased a Kanile'a tenor for about $1,200 and it is beautiful and looks, sounds and plays great. No doubt it is a nicer instrument than my Pono. However the Pono was only 1/3 the cost, but in no way is it 1/3 the uke. So with that said, factoring cost and quality, the Pono beats the Kanile'a by a longshot, as I think cost is an important factor. If cost is not a major factor, and you just want the best, then go for it and buy a high end K brand uke. But all factors count with me, and therefore, IMO, Pono can't be beat.

I voted for KoAloha. However, I have both KoAloha and Kanilea Concert and Tenor. In the concert size I slightly prefer the Kanilea because the KoAloha is very bright, the Kanilea sound is more complex. In the Tenor I prefer the KoAloha because, while I like the wider fret board in the smaller sized ukuleles, the wide fretboard combined with the tenor neck makes the stretch a little too long for comfort on some songs. Both KoAloha and Kanilea make great ukes; they are different but all good in their own way.

The one Pono I played that I would pick over my Kamaka was a rosewood b/s adi top.

Completely different sound though.

Imho Pono has no place in this list. These Asia (afaik Indonesia) made Ukuleles can't compare with a Hawaiian built Ukulele. If you allow the cheap Ko'olaus you could also consider KoAlana or Islander. If you want a good ukulele you could probably go to Pono, but remember it's not a Hawaiian built Ukulele.

From this list I prefer the Kanile'a Tenor (I own a georgeous one) since I don't like the for my eyes cheap looking headstock logo of Ko'olau , and KoAloha's look a bit to freaky for me with their crown headstock and their weird soundhole.

Even if you add Kamaka to your list I'm still with Kanile'a. I didn't play a Kamaka, but I prefer the great looking bridge of Kanile'a.

Just my 2 subjective cents!

Top Bottom