Koaloha Super Concert

saltytri

Reaction score
Koaloha Super Concert - Available Again

As I said about other recent sales, I'm thinning the herd now that I'm making my own. When I set out to build ukes, I acquired several excellent instruments to become better acquainted with good sound and building techniques. These have served their purpose and should move on to new homes.

This Koaloha Super Concert was purchased from Music Guy Mike. Of course, he set it up properly. It is in immaculate condition. I'm going to stick my neck right out there and say that there are no flaws at all whether caused in manufacture or in use. It has had only slight use, as I never used it as a regular player, only to occasionally compare its sound to other instruments.

The date stamp on the heel block is June 2011.

The strings are Southcoast. It came with Aquilas, which weren't bad, but the Southcoasts bumped the sound up a couple of leagues. It is very clear with excellent note separation and, as with most Koalohas, plays well softly and loudly.

The koa is a little lighter than usual and dramatically varied in both color and tone. Of particular interest is that many of the darker parts of the streaks almost seem to tend toward reddish/pinkish. I find the effect to be striking, unusual and attractive.

The Oahu case is included. It is a perfect fit, which is not always what you get with long-necked instruments.

$700 plus shipping and insurance.

8272645358_6507136471_z.jpg

8272645288_ff4e403667_z.jpg

8271576415_6ae30fe25c_z.jpg

8271576185_acd1c466f6_z.jpg

Last edited:
this will fly, salt

Thanks, folks. Yes, I hope that it will be attractive. It was purchased before the recent price increase and so I can offer it at a very favorable price compared to a new one.

Love it! Just sent PM.

This is a great deal here for a sweet koa concert. Unfortunately, I can't do it, but it will make someone happy for sure. Good luck with the sale!

-Steve

The hoarder in me wants to buy this in spite of the fact that I already have one! :)

Seriously, this is probably the holy grail of concert-scale sopranos - at least until you get into the luthier-built stratosphere.

John

Wow, so exciting to see this thread while i'm recently thinking about ordering a koalana concert from Hms:p
I'm wondering is there a little different about the bridge of Koaloha in 2012 between which in 2011?
Btw, the price is so mouth-watered:drool:. Should i raise my budget:rolleyes:

Wow, so exciting to see this thread while i'm recently thinking about ordering a koalana concert from Hms:p
I'm wondering is there a little different about the bridge of Koaloha in 2012 between which in 2011?
If you can swing it, this seems lovely.
I had a KoAloha concert. I should have gotten a super-concert.

Yes. On this one, they used the old "bow-tie" bridge. They only use that bridge on customs now. That would kinda make this uke a collectors item. Well actually not kinda, because they didn't make that many super concerts.

If I could afford it, it would have already been bought. This thing looks cherry if the pics serve right.

Last edited:
Why is this uncommon, special order (they don;t just make them like this and leave them hanging around your local uke shop) Koaloha with Better Than Weather any owner warranty, $1050 (the current new price) tenor necked ukulele still hanging around here?

Someone who doesn't already have a Koaloha, cut Salt a check already! For the love of God, hurry up (digging around my couch cushions for lost change) or tie me down!

Why is this uncommon, special order (they don;t just make them like this and leave them hanging around your local uke shop) Koaloha with Better Than Weather any owner warranty, $1050 (the current new price) tenor necked ukulele still hanging around here?

Someone who doesn't already have a Koaloha, cut Salt a check already! For the love of God, hurry up (digging around my couch cushions for lost change) or tie me down!

Nope, not special order or anything like that. They just don't do big runs of tenor neck concerts. Now a "normal" instrument, say a tenor, where they do large runs because they are more in demand. They all had the bow tie bridge too until they discontinued it. But that particular bridge was truly uncommon on a smaller instrument.

I owned a tenor necked soprano Koaloha. You can say they're not special order, C, but you will end up ordering one to have one. We could go round and round about the word special, but they are not sitting around the uke shops.

One who grabs this mint instrument will truly have a unique sounding instrument. I loved my Soprano body tenor neck uke for its Hawaiian soprano sound, but with a neck I could actually play. Lol

coolkayaker1, you crack me up! Thanks for the support. Yes, the price is a steal but I don't need to make a profit and am happy to let a good UUer have the benefit of the price I got before prices went up. That seems like a win-win. Besides, the world is coming to an end on the 21st anyway.

Top Bottom