Ohana ck 38?

pdxuke

Reaction score
A thanks to Brian for posting a vid of his Ohana PK25.

Does anybody have a sample of the Ohana CK38 they'd like to share? I have the sk38 and it's a masterpiece. I need a uke for Christmas, so anybody have a sample?

:)

Thanks

I know, right? Bumping, because the sk38 is just legendarily good. Yet no one talks about the ck38 or tk38.

I don't have a sample, but my CK-38 sounds wonderful! Highly recommend it. . .

That CK-38 is a ukulele I would like to give a spin as well. The SK-38 is a modern classic...

I'm pleased to meet all of you SK38 lovers. Ken did a fantastic job seeing this thru to manufacture. It is one of the GREAT modern ukes.

I appreciate the reviews of the CK38 lovers here. Anyway we can get you to do a quick strum test :) ? would looooove to hear it...

Ok, I might hijack this thread a little while I've got all you Ohana lovers together.

I'll be honest, I've kinda turned my nose up at Ohanas for no reason other than I had my eyes on Mainland for so long. But don't attack me yet, because y'all have me interested. Looking at Uke Republic (because Mike there is my guy for uke shopping), and last I was in contact with him a couple weeks ago, he recommended the 35 series alongside the Mainlands.

So first, is the difference between the 35s and the 38s just in the styling, a more regular satin (or gloss) finish as opposed to a vintage finish? Or is there also a difference in sound quality and what is it? I want a warmer, richer sounding instrument (still with good volume and sustain) to be a change from my loud and "plucky" Makai spruce top.

Next, which would you choose, one of these Ohanas or a Mainland mahogany? As for size, I'm still a bit undecided between soprano and concert, but my uke now is a concert if that background info helps.

Looking forward to being enlightened here!

Mike makes a good uke, so I would never knock his product. Ever. I've owned them.

I find the feel of the Ohana suits me better. I may be imagining it, but they are lighter, and the neck seems thinner, if I'm describing it correctly.

I do not like gloss finishes. In fact, I HATE THEM (haha.) They just look cheap to me (If they made a PK25S I'd buy it yesterday. The gloss is what's stopping me on that one.). I think the matte Mainlands have a lovely finish. So do the Ohana's.

Now, I love the sound of the SK38. It's big, and warm. But I must be honest, the SK35 has BITE. It has that "jangly sound" that Petey talks about in his review of the new Martins. And my vintage MartinS0 has that sound as well. That is why the SK35 is my grab it uke. I think anyone who loves that jangly mahogany uke sound--even lovers of vintage Martin and modern Martins--needs an SK35 Ohana as a player.

I think, and please don't carve it into stone, because it's just something I read randomly somewhere.. that the wood on the sk38 is a higher grade. Also it's got an ebony nut/saddle so it's bound to be a little different... and the slightly road warn style will be either a love or hate thing. On mine, they didn't go overboard on it, so it's love. Though I still wanna dye the tuners to be a bit brownish. I know that this was Ken's baby and he dialed in the sound and feel to how he wanted it. But I do think it's close kin with the sk35.

There was lots of love for the 35 when the 38 came out, so I can't imagine it sounds worse now than it did then. As for playing both, I couldn't tell ya, but Mike certainly has.

I want to second the appreciation for the job Ken M did on the SK38. Remarkable uke for its price tag. If you love mahogany sopranos, the SK35 and 38 deserve your full consideration. And I'm a fan of Martin M600 strings on these ukes.

You all are absolutely brilliant. Now off to find that Martin review by Petey that several have mentioned.

But by all means, don't let my interruption stop someone from providing the sound sample of the CK-38 everyone's so keen to hear! Now you can add me to that list!

I just played the Martin S1 at a shop. It is very nice. The value buys are the SK35s and SK38s. That doesn't mean not to buy the Martin--I liked it. But if you don't have an Ohana--you need one.

Top Bottom