Wondering

electrauke

Reaction score
Hey guys, I really wanted to start instrument review website and was wondering how many of you visit instrument review sites. Is it worth starting one. I know it would be fun. Thanks

Not to be a wet blanket but here are a few things to consider...

1) Harmony Central has been doing it for years and has kind of become the household name of instrument reviews - at least for mainstream things like guitars and related gear.

2) Many retail outlets are now hosting reviews.

3) Personally I've never found review sites (including the "big" ones like Harmony Central) to be worth my time because you basically get two kinds of reviews - glowing A++++ reviews from people who just got a new toy and there couldn't possibly be any better choice than the one they made, and F---- posts from people who have had a problem with a piece of gear and are very unhappy.

John

I agree with John. All you have to do is google the instrument your checking out and there are lots of reviews and many different opinions.

Agreed with above. Besides how would you get your hands on all those different ukes and whatnot to review?
Think smaller find a niche service that could be done easily and cheaply and then build on it.
Thats the beauty of the web. Youre probably too young to remember the hamsterdance. It was a ridiculous cheap little one page website of animated hamsters dancing. And it made someone about a zillion dollars and became a worldwide thing. Do something you can do easily and maintain. Then use social media to promote. Then build on it. All you need is a good idea. I like the way you think im sure youll come up with somethin good

Yep - I'd agree - go smaller, and find your own voice.

I've reviewed plenty, but nothing compared to the likes of Harmony C. That said, by ukes reviews are those I've bought or had lent to me. I'd like to think mine have their own style and I always try to be completely honest, even if a manufacturer has sent me one to review. If there is something bad I will make it clear.

Along the lines of a journal, there's plenty of sites on which to setup a blog. You can simply start one, and just see where it evolves.

Top Bottom