Zircote sets

AndrewKuker

Reaction score
Just got these side and back sets for a project, after I recover from the holidays, two tenors...but what to use for the top? What do you guys think?

Anyone try Zircote on uke? Had a couple McPherson guitar with it and they were amazing. I can't remember an ukulele.Zircote sets.jpg

Last edited:
I've built several ukes, a Guitalele and a couple parlour guitars with Zircote. My favourite top to pair with it is Red Spruce, but have used Sitka Spruce, Carpathian Spruce and Western Red Cedar.

I've built several ukes, a Guitalele and a couple parlour guitars with Zircote. My favourite top to pair with it is Red Spruce, but have used Sitka Spruce, Carpathian Spruce and Western Red Cedar.

Cool, thanks Allen. Adirondack is where I was thinking,

Cool, thanks Allen. Adirondack is where I was thinking,

Andrew i hear good things about Adirondack tops..are you going to start building or is Noah going to do it for you?should be nice!

have you seen pictures of Batson guitars..they have a beautiful Zircote guitar.. i saw it in Acoustic guitar magazine

and i saw a Zircote uke on Toni's website at www.anakoneke.com

take care has my friend Renato from Northern Calif. visited you at Ukulele Site or in Wahiawa this week yet?

Last edited:
Very pretty wood. I'd probably go for a spruce top
Redwood or cedar would make great tops too....but the darker color might detract from the ziricote

#007 Ziricote Concert back 1-sv.jpg#007 Ziricote Concert tail end-sv.jpg

Yes, I have built with Ziricote. Mine has a fir top. I'd love to build more with it but the wood is quite expensive. At least the guitar sets I've seen. Correction: Ziricote is expensive.

Last edited:
Have a Zircote fret board on my Moore Bettah and i love it.
Not being a luthier will keep my mouth shut on making any
recommendation on what to use for a top.

View attachment 46432View attachment 46433

Yes, I have built with Ziricote. Mine has a fir top. I'd love to build more with it but the wood is quite expensive. At least the guitar sets I've seen.

Hey Toni..you are the only luthier i see using Fir for uke tops..is it like cedar/spruce? soundwise etc..? i have never seen a Fir top..maybe just not paying attention Haha

Last edited:
Hey Toni..you are the only luthier i see using Fir for uke tops..is it like cedar/spruce? soundwise etc..? i have never seen a Fir top..maybe just not paying attention Haha

The fir soundboard makes a great combo with the Ziricote. Check DaSilva's site. I think he has used it also. I believe it warms the uke up a bit since the Ziricote is so dense. Be careful though, it tends to be brittle. The Ziricote I mean.

Are you saying the fir is expensive? If so don't worry I'll send you some for $10 plus shipping.

Last edited:
Are you saying the fir is expensive? If so don't worry I'll send you some for $10 plus shipping.

No I'm not say its expensive. All I have to do is look out my window the hills are covered with them but finding real good old growth with nice tight gain isn't as easy as it use to be

are you going to make it under the Koolau name or your own?

one for Noa for a Koolau and one as my own project to actually do something real (for instance tonight I will be dressing frets on Kalas)

I'd probably go for a spruce top
Redwood or cedar would make great tops too....but the darker color might detract from the ziricote

Thanks for the input, I could see that maybe.

View attachment 46433

Yes, I have built with Ziricote. Mine has a fir top. I'd love to build more with it but the wood is quite expensive. At least the guitar sets I've seen.

Toni.. all I can say is..:worship: Make us a uke already, I wanna do a video. Stan says you're his current favorite. And you know the collection he's got.

Thanks for the responses. I think I just have to make the time because it never ends. I'm building a Pono Guitars website and all kinds of projects. But a uke lasts forever and building is a satisfaction I haven't felt in many years.

Last edited:
one for Noa for a Koolau and one as my own project to actually do something real (for instance tonight I will be dressing frets on Kalas)

Thanks for the input, I could see that maybe.

Toni.. all I can say is..:worship: Make us a uke already, I wanna do a video. Stan says you're his current favorite. And you know the collection he's got.

Thanks for the responses. I think I just have to make the time because it never ends. I'm building a Pono Guitars website and all kinds of projects. But a uke lasts forever and building is a satisfaction I haven't felt in many years.

Andrew i heard she was going to build for you guys..

Andrew i heard she was going to build for you guys..

Hey Glen! I hope so. So fun to feature a new builder. It's so hard as a single builder to have any sort of production flow. But I hope so. We welcome any builders to hit us up. Gets boring with all these factory ukes. What is it with China. Trying to fix a back bow with a fret dress is depressing.

Hey Glen! I hope so. So fun to feature a new builder. It's so hard as a single builder to have any sort of production flow. But I hope so. We welcome any builders to hit us up. Gets boring with all these factory ukes. What is it with China. Trying to fix a back bow with a fret dress is depressing.

Hey Andrew..the Jeb Wiemer ukes look good..if he keeps showing his ukes at The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) i might have to get one next year>>Jeb a nice guy i spoke with him couple months ago.. i guess he used to work with you and your family at Ko'olau/Pono

Last edited:
Top Bottom