PDA

View Full Version : 44th Season of the Ukulele: Holiday Songs

seeso
12-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Hello, hello, and ho ho ho!

It is with great pleasure and anticipation that I announce the 44th season of the ukulele: holiday songs!

Your task - create a new video playing a holiday song of your choice. Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanzaa, etc. If it's a holiday, and it's celebrated in December, it's good to go!

Your prize - a Lanikai Banjolele LB6-S, generously donated by the ever-awesome Mr. Tim "No V" Szerlong! How cool is that? I played the little guy this past October at the Milwaukee Uke Fest, and the thing is a monster. He had a couple other non-banjofied ukuleles for me to try out, but I fell in love with the LB6-S. Visit ukeeku.com and tell him how awesome he is, please.

Rules and guidelines:

Your official entry has to be a new video created for this season.
Your entry must mention the 44th season of the ukulele.
Only videos posted in this thread will be considered.
The ukulele must be featured front and center.
Your first entry is your official entry. All other entries are bonus entries. Bonus entries are ineligible to win the Lanikai banjolele. The entrants may change their official entry at any time before the deadline, provided they say so in this thread.
The deadline is Sunday, December 23rd at 11:59 PM, CST. That's mah birday! :D
Call me crazy, I like overdubs/multi-tracking. No bonus points will be awarded for overdubs, but neither will I outlaw them. Feel free to overdub to your heart's content.

And that's it! If I can get my Mac to obey me, I'll make a video for the contest, and edit this post to include it.

As soon as the first video rolls in, I'll post a link to the playlist. And here's the playlist (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLG4QVMv1Lrb6kgSh170m1LD9JVsGTYml2)! And here are the bonus tracks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-6gB1NmVbI&feature=share&list=PLG4QVMv1Lrb7PbEl_6VLcWcjS_hKhdx3U)!

Also - I'm new to running a Seasons of the Uke Contest! If I'm forgetting something, please let me know. I'll be your best friend.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for entering!

CountryMouse
12-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Hello, hello, and ho ho ho!

It is with great pleasure and anticipation that I announce the 44th season of the ukulele: holiday songs!

Your task - create a new video playing a holiday song of your choice. Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanzaa, etc. If it's a holiday, and it's celebrated in December, it's good to go!

Your prize - a Lanikai Banjolele LB6-S, generously donated by the ever-awesome Mr. Tim "No V" Szerlong! How cool is that? I played the little guy this past October at the Milwaukee Uke Fest, and the thing is a monster. He had a couple other non-banjofied ukuleles for me to try out, but I fell in love with the LB6-S. Visit ukeeku.com and tell him how awesome he is, please.

Rules and guidelines:

Your official entry has to be a new video created for this season.
Your entry must mention the 44th season of the ukulele.
Only videos posted in this thread will be considered.
The deadline is Sunday, December 23rd at 11:59 PM, CST. That's mah birday! :D
Call me crazy, I like overdubs/multi-tracking. No bonus points will be awarded for overdubs, but neither will I outlaw them. Feel free to overdub to your heart's content.

And that's it! If I can get my Mac to obey me, I'll make a video for the contest, and edit this post to include it.

As soon as the first video rolls in, I'll post a link to the playlist.

Also - I'm new to running a Seasons of the Uke Contest! If I'm forgetting something, please let me know. I'll be your best friend.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for entering!

I own one of these wonderful banjoleles! We're probably going to do a Christmas song (our little family), so I'll enter anyway. :) I doubt I'll win, so someone else can get to have one of these wonderful instruments!

Have fun, everyone!

CountryMouse

uke4ia
12-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Edit: Thank you, Ginny, for correcting me (next post down). My faulty aging memory thought Tootler had called Season 45 for holiday songs months ago. It was actually Seeso who had called it for Season 44.

:hangs head in shame, then nods off in that position and waits for the nurse to wake him for his pudding:

GinnyT11
12-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Seeso, Since Tootler said months ago that next week's 45th Season would be for holiday songs, I'm going to wait for next week.

Seeso called holiday songs for his week about three months ago when Ukuloonie first posted this sign-up:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?69035-Sign-up-for-future-Seasons

There are loads of holiday songs...plenty enough for two weeks.

OldePhart
12-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Edit: Thank you, Ginny, for correcting me (next post down). My faulty aging memory thought Tootler had called Season 45 for holiday songs months ago. It was actually Seeso who had called it for Season 44.

:hangs head in shame, then nods off in that position and waits for the nurse to wake him for his pudding:

Pudding? Pudding! We're having pudding?!

OldePhart
12-16-2012, 09:18 AM
This looks like fun Seeso - I've got an idea but I don't know if I'll have time to get it done with all the travel and whatnot - going to try, though!

John

~dave~~wave~
12-16-2012, 09:22 AM
I confess, I recorded this yesterday.

I love Christmas songs and reggae, both translate well to the uke, so I give you:
Happy Christmas by Toots and the Maytals. (1972)
Cameos from Esme the cat, Santa Claus, and a few of my ukes.

Peace On Earth, Happy Holidays to all UU'rs right around the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-vZVFNoBk

Our [D] father is the [A] maker of [G] Mary
And [D] Mary is the mother of us [A] all
Her [G] son is a [D] blessing from the [G] father
[D] So let's [A] give thanks and [D] praise

Happy [G] Christmas to [D] you
to [A] you, to you, to [D] you [D7]
Happy [G] Christmas to [D] Ukulele
[A] Under- [D] ground [A] [D]

[D] Christmas [A] coming back for [D] me
Christmas [A] coming back for [D] you
[A] coming back for [D] all the Season-[G] istas
[D] Christmas [A] coming back a- [D] gain

In the morning when we [A] wake up let's sing [G] praises
To the [D] king and the mother of us [A] all
When you [G] walk in the [D] dark you got [G] trouble
When you [D] walk in the [A] light you have [D] peace

Every [D] day can be [A] like a [G] holiday
But [D] Christmas is a very special [A] day
Let's not [G] fight, not [D] war, and not [G] worry
[D] Christmas is [A] here for every- [D] one

OldePhart
12-16-2012, 09:23 AM

I think it's pretty traditional to require that the ukulele be featured - other instruments okay as supporting cast but ukulele front and center. (One would think that would be pretty obvious given where the seasons are hosted...but sometimes you just havta spell it out.) ;)

Oh, and congrats on the birthday!

John

pabrizzer
12-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Must be Santa.
Cha and Pa's entry to the Holiday Song's Season 44.
Knew that this season was coming so did this when my grand daughter was over last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62AaBfuJPEc
Season's Greetings Everyone!

pabrizzer
12-16-2012, 09:49 AM

I love Christmas songs and reggae, both translate well to the uke, so I give you:

~dave~~wave~
Your clips are always full of exuberance and joy. Loved this one!
We take the technology for granted that let's us share our joy of the ukulele from all corners of the planet but it really is amazing when you think about it.

myrnaukelele
12-16-2012, 09:57 AM

and a Happy Christmas to you too! :o

electrauke
12-16-2012, 10:01 AM
How many songs can we enter?

uke4ia
12-16-2012, 10:28 AM
How many songs can we enter?

How many have you got?

Usually, it's one official entry and as many "bonus track" entries as you want.

electrauke
12-16-2012, 10:31 AM
How many have you got?

Usually, it's one official entry and as many "bonus track" entries as you want.

But the bonus entries cannot win, right?

seeso
12-16-2012, 11:13 AM
How are official entries determined as opposed to bonus entries? Is it up to the entrant?

seeso
12-16-2012, 11:24 AM
I think it's pretty traditional to require that the ukulele be featured - other instruments okay as supporting cast but ukulele front and center. (One would think that would be pretty obvious given where the seasons are hosted...but sometimes you just havta spell it out.) ;)

Oh, and congrats on the birthday!

John

Thanks, John. Added to the list of rules.

xommen
12-16-2012, 11:29 AM
How are official entries determined as opposed to bonus entries? Is it up to the entrant?
Normally the first entry is THE entry, unless otherwise stated by the person submitting.

pabrizzer
12-16-2012, 11:29 AM
seeso this is your seeson (sorry couldn't resist) so as host I think you pretty much have the say.
In the few that I have entered bonus tracks are "labelled" or stated by the entrant as being a bonus track (and not limited in number).
Bonus tracks have not been eligible to win in the ones I know about.
Each entrant has only had one official entry - usually the first (but some hosts allow that to be changed as long as the entrant lets them know which is to be the official entry).
But I reckon you're in charge for this one.
I do know that you are going to get LOTS of videos if you allow more than one official entry with such a great prize.

seeso
12-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Each entrant has only had one official entry - usually the first (but some hosts allow that to be changed as long as the entrant lets them know which is to be the official entry).

I like this. Let's do it this way. The first is the official entry, and all others are bonus entries. The entrants may change their official entry at any time before the deadline, provided they say so in this thread.

Barbablanca
12-16-2012, 12:30 PM
PaBrizzer - that was so cute. It must be great playing Uke with your granddaughter. I wish my daughter would play with me. I had to bribe her to do a little melodica work on an entry for the Seasons a while back (French Week).

I love the look your granddaughter gives you at the very end of the video. Great life affirming video of a song I'd never heard before. Well done both of you!

UncleElvis
12-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Must be Santa.
Knew that this season was coming so did this when my grand daughter was over last week.

Is it weird that I choked up and got all weepy with joy while watching this?

Thank you!

Tootler
12-16-2012, 12:46 PM
I like this. Let's do it this way. The first is the official entry, and all others are bonus entries. The entrants may change their official entry at any time before the deadline, provided they say so in this thread.

That's how it normally is so spot on.

Now to consider my entry.

By the way. Good to have you on board, Seeso. Looking forward to this season, should be some good entries.

Tootler
12-16-2012, 12:50 PM

Seeso called holiday songs for his week about three months ago when Ukuloonie first posted this sign-up:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?69035-Sign-up-for-future-Seasons

There are loads of holiday songs...plenty enough for two weeks.

As Ginny said, Seeso did call for holiday songs quite some time ago.

I do have a related theme for next week but you'll find it's quite a different challenge.

ukeeku
12-16-2012, 03:07 PM
This started this morning and there are a ton of responses so far. Good luck everyone!
No matter what, they are holiday songs, how bad could they be?

OldePhart
12-16-2012, 03:30 PM
This started this morning and there are a ton of responses so far. Good luck everyone!
No matter what, they are holiday songs, how bad could they be?

Well...have you heard some of the versions of White Trash Christmas...oh, that was a rehtorical question! :)

John

Joko
12-16-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't know why I chose this song for my first holiday song of 2012. Looking at the year in review, I've actually been quite good. Tied no knots in girls' hair. Put no frogs in anyone's bed. Santa should be quite happy with me.

http://youtu.be/5C6scKWMT88

Joko
12-16-2012, 04:02 PM

You got some very nice ukulele playing, cameos of your kitty cat, references to other seasonistas, maps, blinking lights... You have created the Ultimate UU Christmas video here! Awesome!

myrnaukelele
12-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Must be Santa.

This was just wonderful. Great song and sung so sweetly.
Season's Greetings to you and yours pabrizzer :)
(seeso - we need a smiley in a Santa hat!)

CountryMouse
12-16-2012, 06:11 PM
What if I use my Lanakai LB6-S banjolele for my entry? Is that still official? Or does it have to be an actual ukulele?

Thanks!

CountryMouse

mds725
12-16-2012, 07:03 PM
I apologize if this seems like a stupid question, but I'm a Seasons of the Uke novice and, as with many other things, I plead ignorance. Does the performer have to appear in the video? Thanks!

pabrizzer
12-16-2012, 07:33 PM
This was just wonderful. Great song and sung so sweetly.
Season's Greetings to you and yours pabrizzer :)
(seeso - we need a smiley in a Santa hat!)
Thanks so much Myrna - I was just enjoying watching your Snow Mash-up video and you sure live in a wintry paradise - it looked truly beautiful. None of my grand kids have ever seen snow let alone visiting moose. I hope you are keeping warm though! Have a joyous and safe Christmas.
This bonus track is just to remind you that there are plenty of US states that don't see a lot of snow.
Mele Kalikimaka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-6gB1NmVbI

xommen
12-16-2012, 11:05 PM
I apologize if this seems like a stupid question, but I'm a Seasons of the Uke novice and, as with many other things, I plead ignorance. Does the performer have to appear in the video? Thanks!

I personally think we want proof it's you playing :D, but have never read a rule that says you should, on the other hand it's a performance is it not?

Hippie Dribble
12-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Does the performer have to appear in the video? Thanks!

YES!!!!! Go on Mark...you know you want to brother he he (maybe not as much as we want you to)... :) it would be unreal to have you on the seasons train for a ride with us mate.

Now..whatcha gonna play?????

wee_ginga_yin
12-17-2012, 12:31 AM
Ok this is a bonus that I recorded last week in anticipation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0mcdFN3Dsw

wee_ginga_yin
12-17-2012, 12:42 AM
@Dave-wave Thank you for the salutations, and peace and joy to you

Jazzbanjorex
12-17-2012, 02:32 AM
Since pabrizzer already posted Mele Kalikimaka I went with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igmccXD4Xf8&feature=youtu.be
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone.

Jazzbanjorex
12-17-2012, 02:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Denr_a3ad0o&feature=youtu.be

Mele Kalikimaka everyone!

seeso
12-17-2012, 05:42 AM
What if I use my Lanakai LB6-S banjolele for my entry? Is that still official? Or does it have to be an actual ukulele?

Thanks!

CountryMouse

Go ahead and use the banjolele! Looking forward to it, Miss Mouse.

mds725
12-17-2012, 06:45 AM
YES!!!!! Go on Mark...you know you want to brother he he (maybe not as much as we want you to)... :) it would be unreal to have you on the seasons train for a ride with us mate.

Now..whatcha gonna play?????

Thank you, Jon. I asked because I was planning to make a video in which I played a holiday song under photos of the Christmas season in San Francisco. Maybe I could submit that video as a bonus track.

Jazzbanjorex
12-17-2012, 07:55 AM
[QUOTE=pabrizzer;1127095]Must be Santa.

That was really nice and a very special moment. Thank you for sharing.
Rex

xommen
12-17-2012, 09:53 AM
My entry for this Season, Driving home for Christmas by Chris Rea, I really like the original of this song. It was much harder to play then I thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7luM4Cfdrr8

pabrizzer
12-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Jazzbanjorex,
I thought it strange that my T-Shirt had gone down without comment.
It's kind of funny that you have also made the paddling connection now as well though.
I bought a guitar-banjo and my daughter bought me that shirt.
But Christmas curses?:) It's Mele Kalikimakas at 10 paces!
Loved the Red Canoe song which I haven't heard before.
All the best to you and your's, Rex.
Cheers, Briz.

ukuloonie
12-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Have updated the big list to show the playlists and bonus lists thanks Seeso
(click to go to link) (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?66328-Putting-together-all-the-seasons-of-the-Ukulele/page5)

krabbers
12-17-2012, 10:41 AM
http://youtu.be/QjR64VRPV74
I wrote this
Check out the play along version

pabrizzer
12-17-2012, 11:23 AM
krabbers,
Loved your song. Had a real JJ Cale feel.
But a big sacked, drink driving Santa is a bit of a worry - he'd be left lots of whiskey, right?
Cheers, Briz.

Tootler
12-17-2012, 11:27 AM

Believe it or not, we really do like to see you when you are performing. :)

uke4ia
12-17-2012, 11:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXyfkgGbVDs

I play my uke for you, a-strum-a-strum-strum!

I was going to do a new version of this for this Season. But it just wouldn't be as much fun as the live version. So this is a Bonus song for this week, from an open mic two years ago.

Tootler
12-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Here's my entry. The Boar's Head Carol. This version of the song dates back to 1521 and it is associated with an ancient tradition of sacrificing a boar and presenting the head at Yuletide. The tradition definitely dates back to the middle ages and is thought to be Anglo Saxon or Norse in origin and is a sacrifice to the gods to favour the new year.

The custom is continued to this day at Queen's College, Oxford and I first learned the song from a Queens College graduate. There are number of other schools and colleges both in England and the USA who have a boars head tradition, some quite recent and others long established.

The song is macaronic - that is the words are in two languages, in this case, English and Latin.

http://youtu.be/cfa4swabkwk

The chords are for a standard C-tuned ukulele but I play it a tone up using a D-tuned ukulele

The [C] boar's head in [G] hand bear [C] I
Be[F]decked with bays and [G7] rosemar[C]y
I [C] pray you, my masters, [G] be [C] merry
Quot[F] estis in con[G7]vivi[C]o (so many as are in the feast)

Chorus
[C] Caput [G] apri [C] defer[G]o, [F] Reddens laudes [G7] domin[C]o (x2) (the boar's head I bring, giving praises to God)

The boar's head, as I understand,
Is the rarest dish in all this land,
Which thus bedecked with a gay garland
Let us servire cantico. (let us serve with a song)

Our steward hath provided this
In honor of the King of bliss
Which, on this day to be served is
In Reginensi atrio: (in the Queen's hall)

bluesuke
12-17-2012, 12:08 PM
I wrote this

That was Great

ksiegel
12-17-2012, 01:03 PM
The song is macaronic - that is the words are in two languages, in this case, English and Latin.

I believe Upscale Restaurants call that Pasta now...

(ducking and covering...)

-Kurt

CountryMouse
12-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Go ahead and use the banjolele! Looking forward to it, Miss Mouse.

Okay, thanks! I hope we can get the video done--furnace problems etc. :/

Mousie

CountryMouse
12-17-2012, 01:20 PM
I wrote this

Woo, love the playing style on this! Well, I already loved this song anyway. :D

Mousie

Jazzbanjorex
12-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Jazzbanjorex,
I thought it strange that my T-Shirt had gone down without comment.
It's kind of funny that you have also made the paddling connection now as well though.
I bought a guitar-banjo and my daughter bought me that shirt.
But Christmas curses?:) It's Mele Kalikimakas at 10 paces!
Loved the Red Canoe song which I haven't heard before.
All the best to you and your's, Rex.
Cheers, Briz.

All in jest and good cheer.
I love your Cha and Pa Duets!
I meant to get back to you on the T-shirt but quite busy with our ukulele club Christmas performances. I'm the gear guy.
So 10 paces? Got another Christmas song you want to dual at 10 paces with? I'm game.
Best wishes
Rex

ukeeku
12-17-2012, 05:32 PM
I wrote this

Nice uke, where did ya get it? :)

fitncrafty
12-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Must be Santa.

THat was perfect! YOur grandaughter is just adorable.. I loved her toes popping up..She is a fine player and singer! Kudos to both of you for a job well done and a fine entry!

pabrizzer
12-17-2012, 05:51 PM
And taken that way, Jazzbanjorex.
Another bonus track but I'm pretty sure I won't be stealing anyone's thunder with this one.
It is an original song by Barbablanca and can be seen in Eugene and Eugenie's Christmas Song Competition.
Or by clicking HERE. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-o8Ut-WAYA)
Strange that a guy in Spain gets so many things right about our culture but he does explain that a little with his song intro.
But I rarely listen to the Queen's speech being a staunch republic supporter.
I also changed one word in Myrna's honor.
He said it was OK to cover it and post it here.
I was hoping to be standing knee deep in the water with the sun beating down. Instead I'm staring sort of blankly obviously reading the lyrics.
This is what can happen when other people start playing (with) your songs Berni....
Bonus song - The Best Way to Celebrate Christmas Day by Barbablanca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FA6ThYO8-M

foxisaac
12-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Instrumental Silent Night, Christmas is a little non-traditional in Oz but We do our best .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxOXoMkzhpg

krabbers
12-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Nice uke, where did ya get it? :)

I love it Tim, its my new grabber. its right beside me now ready to be grabbed whenever i get the urge, thanks again, i posted it via my iphone so the info was limited, im gonna go back now and add some details

krabbers
12-17-2012, 11:45 PM
krabbers,
Loved your song. Had a real JJ Cale feel.
But a big sacked, drink driving Santa is a bit of a worry - he'd be left lots of whiskey, right?
Cheers, Briz.

ha ha well spotted, i used to be in a band http://www.youtube.com/sixmilesaway we did call me the breeze, the lads were so lazy they wouldnt learn new songs so what i used to do is write a song over songs they already knew ie mr christmas..." you play call me the breeze i'll do the rest"
also another of my originals is hitchin a lift, i told them you play folsom prison blues and i will just do my thing, unfortunatly their lazyness was the end of what could have been a good band,

Barbablanca
12-18-2012, 12:53 AM
Krabbers. Brilliant rocky Santa song.

Isaac, lovely..... and that Epiphone Concert Les Paul sounds fine. I applauded at the end, did you hear me? ;)

Baprizzer!!!! Wow!!! Thank you. You know you've written a good song when people want to sing and record it other than yourself :) - I noticed a few changes, but, hey that's the old folk process at work, I guess. ;)

I'm hoping to get a non original entry here before the week is out. Luckily no-one has covered it yet. It's one of those "songs I wish I'd written" - Watch this space.

foxisaac
12-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Krabbers. Brilliant rocky Santa song.

Isaac, lovely..... and that Epiphone Concert Les Paul sounds fine. I applauded at the end, did you hear me? ;)

I'm hoping to get a non original entry here before the week is out. Luckily no-one has covered it yet. It's one of those "songs I wish I'd written" - Watch this space.

Thanks for the feedback, I've been a silent onlooker on the seasons for a while now, :)

krabbers
12-18-2012, 02:58 AM
Instrumental Silent Night, Christmas is a little non-traditional in Oz but We do our best .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxOXoMkzhpg
class, i like the harmonics, very well done. the birds in the background add to it too,

my favourite so far

Tootler
12-18-2012, 05:41 AM
I believe Upscale Restaurants call that Pasta now...

(ducking and covering...)

-Kurt

Like the chefs on TV over here.

Never use an English term when an Italian one will do. :rulez:

Barbablanca
12-18-2012, 06:28 AM
For this season I'm singing one of those "songs you wish you'd written" from the Songwriters' Songwriter, the late Stan Rogers (of Canada).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQgldUAcAzs&feature=youtube_gdata

Here are the lyrics:

First Christmas Away from Home

This day, a year ago, he was rolling in the snow
With a younger brother in his father's yard
Christmas break, a time for touching home
The heart of all he'd known, and leaving was so hard.
Three thousand miles away, now he's working Christmas Day
Making double time for the minding of the store
Well, he always said he'd make it on his own
He's spending Christmas Eve alone
First Christmas away from home.

She's standing by the train station, begging for change
Four more dollars buys a decent meal and a room
Looks like the Sally Ann place after all
In a crowded sleeping hall that echoes like a tomb
But it's warm and clean and free and there are worse places to be
And at least it means no beating from her Dad . . .
And if she cries because its Christmas Day
She hopes that it won't show

In the apartment stands a tree, and it looks so small and bare,
Not like it was meant to be
The golden angel on the top, it's not that same old silver star
You wanted for your own

In the morning, they get prayers, then it's crafts and tea downstairs
Then another meal back in his little room
Hoping maybe that the boys will think to phone before the day is gone
Well, it's best they do it soon.
When the old girl passed away, he fell apart more every day
Each had always kept the other pretty well
But the kids all said the nursing home was best,
'Cause he couldn't live alone. . .

In the common room they've got the biggest tree
And it's huge and itís cold and lifeless
Not like it ought to be.
The flashing Santa Claus on top
It's not that same old silver star you once made for your own

strumsilly
12-18-2012, 05:11 PM
I love singing and playing with others, and that happens more at Christmas.
What a joyous season.

http://youtu.be/3mxsZyl6fmw

29moons
12-18-2012, 05:35 PM
Here's a little Elvis for the holiday. Merry Christmas everyone.

http://youtu.be/LL2ja5Y81XQ

myrnaukelele
12-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Happy holidays to all the Seasonistas!

http://youtu.be/syoPRGtZJTU
Ooops~ forgot to say 44th Season~

peewee
12-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Hi All, Merry Christmas!

Here's a carol that was near and dear to my Mom, who taught me early about the value of the absurd:

http://youtu.be/mSjr42GVN_I

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/458/what-are-the-lyrics-to-walt-kellys-classic-carol-deck-us-all-with-boston-charlie

ukuleledaddy
12-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Here's a little Elvis for the holiday. Merry Christmas everyone.

http://youtu.be/LL2ja5Y81XQ

Is that a beard you're sporting? Nice. I love this song, great rendition Moons! I suddenly have a craving for a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich.

peewee
12-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Happy holidays to all the Seasonistas!
http://youtu.be/syoPRGtZJTU
Ooops~ forgot to say 44th Season~

You forgot to introduce us to Mr Myrna!
thanks for that. Happy xmas

wee_ginga_yin
12-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Fluttering wings, falling stars, singing bowls, trudging footsteps,
and two verses from an old hymn, with the aurora borealis as an extra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTGDAyeJYRI

pabrizzer
12-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Myrna, are you Mrs Claus?

peewee
12-19-2012, 10:16 AM
0:47 of xmas bonus:

http://youtu.be/O6u7ZT6GtMg"]http://youtu.be/O6u7ZT6GtMg

ksiegel
12-19-2012, 11:23 AM
I Go Pogo!!!

Thanks for remembering Walt Kelly! This is (one of) the version(s) I remember best - even more than the "traditional" thing..

-Kurt

Hi All, Merry Christmas!

Here's a carol that was near and dear to my Mom, who taught me early and about the value of the absurd:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/458/what-are-the-lyrics-to-walt-kellys-classic-carol-deck-us-all-with-boston-charlie

uke4ia
12-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Hi All, Merry Christmas!

Here's a carol that was near and dear to my Mom, who taught me early and about the value of the absurd:

YEAH!!! I was just considering yesterday doing this one. For those who don't know it, this is from Walt Kelly's "Pogo" comic strip. The group would sing the first part of this every year, then Beauregard the dog would insist that the real version was called "Bark us all bow-wows of folly". Back in the '80s, I wrote a Pogo-style version of Jingle Bells:

Gin Gilda
Gin Gilda
Gin Gilda LeMay
All the phantoms in her boudoir wonder who's been slain

Datsun troop or so
Any goner's hope in Spain
Oven the escargot
Latin Hall of Fame
Paisley cotton string
Bacon spears on rye
Oat muffins a-tizzle singeing flavors impolite

peewee
12-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only Pogo fan around here!

here's some more bonus action - a hasty and sloppy Tom Lehrer cover

http://youtu.be/0pTsc3_NIkM

peewee
12-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Gin Gilda
Gin Gilda
Gin Gilda LeMay
All the phantoms in her boudoir wonder who's been slain

Datsun troop or so
Any goner's hope in Spain
Oven the escargot
Latin Hall of Fame
Paisley cotton string
Bacon spears on rye
Oat muffins a-tizzle singeing flavors impolite

Love It! Could be a seasons theme...

uke4ia
12-19-2012, 01:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB_mg_eqoEE

This is something I worked out from a book of Peanuts sheet music a few years ago. If anyone wants the tab, I wrote it up last year. It leaves out some of the arpeggios I use as fills.
Christmas Time Is Here tab (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?56762-Christmas-Time-Is-Here-the-Peanuts-song&highlight=Christmas+Time)

Wongo
12-19-2012, 01:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHVIjb3Ys2M my entry for this week. My version of Do they know its Christmas. Few mistakes but only had time for two takes. So please forgive me for those. Hope you enjoy :)

uke4ia
12-19-2012, 01:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzpLkX8MhB0

Here's a really brief bonus tune. This is another thing I worked out from sheet music, just so I could say I played some classical music.

Jazzbanjorex
12-19-2012, 01:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAgIwiCrSZM&feature=youtu.be

foxisaac
12-19-2012, 03:25 PM
class, i like the harmonics, very well done. the birds in the background add to it too,

my favourite so far

Thank you very much, ditto to you, theres a certain charm to an alcoholic Santa claus.

UkesUnited
12-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Merry Christmas, Everyone!

From the squirrelly crew; Ruth, Sue, Andrew, and Dave.

Cheers!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNyKrT_n5Wo

ksiegel
12-19-2012, 03:57 PM
One of my favorite pieces of music!

The Spike Jones version is still #1 in my book (or memory), but this is right up there!

Thank you for it, Uke4ia!

-Kurt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzpLkX8MhB0

Here's a really brief bonus tune. This is another thing I worked out from sheet music, just so I could say I played some classical music.

uke4ia
12-19-2012, 04:11 PM
cheers!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNyKrT_n5Wo

Alvin?

Alvin?

Alvin ! ! !

CountryMouse
12-19-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm playing the exact same model of Lanakai banjolele that Seeso is giving away to the winner of this contest, so you can see what it's like! I love mine! Sorry about the dimness, I just didn't know how to remove the graininess if I lightened it. Anyway, here is our little family.

http://youtu.be/BXvdP7MMu3Y

CountryMouse

alemarco
12-19-2012, 07:34 PM
I went a completely different route here than most of you and have a really serious entry. Debated about whether or not to post it but it is a Christmas song...

If I get time in my crazy week, I'll try to make a more upbeat bonus.

http://youtu.be/q0OynpV1ubk

decaturcomp
12-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Best video EVER!

xommen
12-20-2012, 04:25 AM
A Dutch Bonus, for English Lyrics: Flappie Lyrics English (http://www.vanommen.net/Flappie_English.txt)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiQKWarJC7s

peewee
12-20-2012, 06:34 AM
I went a completely different route here than most of you and have a really serious entry. Debated about whether or not to post it but it is a Christmas song...

If I get time in my crazy week, I'll try to make a more upbeat bonus.
http://youtu.be/q0OynpV1ubk

A Dutch Bonus, for English Lyrics: Flappie Lyrics English (http://www.vanommen.net/Flappie_English.txt)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiQKWarJC7s

Who knew there were holiday themed murder ballads? Excellent stuff you two!
Alemarco, your vocal is haunting, and xommen, it's great to hear you sing in Dutch

xommen
12-20-2012, 06:39 AM
Who knew there were holiday themed murder ballads? Excellent stuff you two!
Alemarco, your vocal is haunting, and xommen, it's great to hear you sing in Dutch

Thanks, it is a real sad story, which at least does not end well for the rabbit.

Wongo
12-20-2012, 06:47 AM

Great video. I love it

Wongo
12-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Must be Santa.

How great to have your grand daughter feature beside you. How long has she been playing.

CountryMouse
12-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Must be Santa.

This is absolutely adorable! You have such a cute grand daughter!

CountryMouse

pabrizzer
12-20-2012, 07:39 AM
How great to have your grand daughter feature beside you. How long has she been playing.
I have been teaching her guitar and ukulele for about 9 months. Only half an hour lesson a week. I have always done the singing but for the last 2 months (now that she is more confident with her playing) I have made sure that she is singing too. She is doing really well IMHO and we are so proud of her. She was 9 in September.

GinnyT11
12-20-2012, 08:05 AM
I am enjoying this wide variety of holiday songs. It's proof that there are a zillion ways to enjoy holidays.

I'm making comments on everyone's YouTube posts as I get through the thread. I want to give some Seasonista encouragement to each of you because the Seasonista community has done a lot for me and I'm thankful.

--Ginny

GinnyT11
12-20-2012, 09:16 AM

Thanks for this, alemarco. It's good to do a song that your heart prompts you to do. Your voice is lovely for this kind of singing, and you should do it (and the opera singing) more.
You seem much more relaxed as you post more songs, and I applaud you for all the work you're putting into your uking.

Wongo
12-20-2012, 10:03 AM
I have been teaching her guitar and ukulele for about 9 months. Only half an hour lesson a week. I have always done the singing but for the last 2 months (now that she is more confident with her playing) I have made sure that she is singing too. She is doing really well IMHO and we are so proud of her. She was 9 in September.

You have every right to be proud. She's very good. :)

Hippie Dribble
12-20-2012, 10:41 AM
thanks for hosting seeso. Merry Christmas everyone. here's my entry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwx8l3S0HQ

~dave~~wave~
12-20-2012, 10:55 AM
I've always loved this French Carol, cheers to ukeval for his great instrumentals.
The McGarrigle sisters from our Canadian neighbors do my favorite vocal version.

Intro is my fretted spruce top u-bass with roundwound Pyramid strings for a little twang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3I0TjrV1es

we tigers
12-20-2012, 11:10 AM
After a small hiatus with a lot of birthday parties, hosting, and crazy times at work, it's time again to play songs.
Consider this a bonus. If our voices permit (dreadful colds are slowly taking hold of us) we'll do another song tomorrow evening.
Saskia was off doing a gig with her school choir, so I took the opportunity to record this little cheery song by the ever great Magnetic Fields.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVM0IpXJUSM

GinnyT11
12-20-2012, 11:16 AM
http://youtu.be/JsRkvBeRrHA

This is my 15th video in Seasons weeks, but the FIRST song that I picked, so I'm back to being a beginner. But the challenge of learning it was was good.

I'm throwing baskets full of sparkles and good-luck charms out to all of you Seasonistas, with best wishes for a happy and productive new year. It may be the year that the Perfect Uke finally comes to your home...

wee_ginga_yin
12-20-2012, 11:17 AM
A christmas bonus:

Then let us pray that come it may,
(As come it will for a' that,)
That Sense and Worth, o'er a' the earth,
Shall bear the gree, an' a' that.
For a' that, an' a' that,
It's comin yet for a' that
That man to man, the world o'er,
Shall brithers be for a' that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ALDlLuc__0

decaturcomp
12-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Such great videos this Season!
I'm not entering a video this time just sending along a message to folks who have the same kind of issues I have.
Love,
Alan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RYhoZrKe74

wolfybau
12-20-2012, 12:27 PM
holy moly, season 44?? never thought that first Seasons contest would be perpetuated this far lol good to see :)

decaturcomp
12-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Christmas songs and honest poverty, not a bad combo for a' that
Merrie Jolly, sir.

A christmas bonus:

Then let us pray that come it may,
(As come it will for a' that,)
That Sense and Worth, o'er a' the earth,
Shall bear the gree, an' a' that.
For a' that, an' a' that,
It's comin yet for a' that
That man to man, the world o'er,
Shall brithers be for a' that.

pabrizzer
12-20-2012, 02:12 PM
After a small hiatus with a lot of birthday parties, hosting, and crazy times at work, it's time again to play songs.
Consider this a bonus. If our voices permit (dreadful colds are slowly taking hold of us) we'll do another song tomorrow evening.
Saskia was off doing a gig with her school choir, so I took the opportunity to record this little cheery song by the ever great Magnetic Fields.

Gee Tiger 1 (2?)
You've even got the Stephin Merritt voice going there (although not quite as deep I reckon).
Depressing song, done with melancholy mood, but I like it!
I really like The Book of Love by Stephin Merritt. Hadn't heard this sad little number before. Thanks for sharing despite being under the weather.

pabrizzer
12-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Such great videos this Season!
I'm not entering a video this time just sending along a message to folks who have the same kind of issues I have.
Love,
Alan

Beautifully played and sung Alan!

~dave~~wave~
12-20-2012, 02:42 PM
...sending along a message...
Love,
Alan

Amen, brother.
Not to be a downer, but holiday alcohol abuse and depression gins up some poignant tunes.

So I offer another bonus, So Much Wine by The Handsome Family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAqGRnFdWhg

[D] I had nothing to say on [G] Christmas [D] day
When you [Bm] threw all your [A] clothes in the [G] snow
[A] When you [D] burnt you hair [G] knocked over [D] chairs
I just [Bm] tried to stay [G] out of your [D] way
When you fell asleep with [G] blood on your [D] teeth
I got [Bm] in my car and [G] drove a- [D] way

Listen to me butter [G] fly
There's only so much [D] wine
You can [Bm] drink in one [G] life
But it will never be e- [D] nough
To save you [Bm] from the bot- [G] tom of your [D] glass

Where the state highway starts [G] I parked my [D] car
I got [Bm] out and [A] stared at the [G] stars
[A] As [D] meteors died and [G] shot across the [D] sky
I [Bm] thought about your [G] sad shining [D] eyes
I came back for my clothes when the [G] sun finally
[D] rose
But [Bm] you were still [G] passed out on the [D] floor

GinnyT11
12-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Such great videos this Season! I'm not entering a video this time just sending along a message to folks who have the same kind of issues I have.
Love,
Alan

Thanks for this beautifully heartfelt song, Alan. I appreciate your talent and your friendship.
Blessings on you and your family, now and into the new year.

--Ginny

pabrizzer
12-20-2012, 03:26 PM
This is my 15th video in Seasons weeks, but the FIRST song that I picked, so I'm back to being a beginner. But the challenge of learning it was was good.

I'm throwing baskets full of sparkles and good-luck charms out to all of you Seasonistas, with best wishes for a happy and productive new year. It may be the year that the Perfect Uke finally comes to your home...

Enjoyed your Christmas song Ginny, and thanks for your season wishes and same right back to you.

pabrizzer
12-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Amen, brother.
Not to be a downer, but holiday alcohol abuse and depression gins up some poignant tunes.

That sure is a dark song with dark lyrics ~dave~~
But as you say for some this can be other a joyous time.
Played and sung well.

MarkT66
12-20-2012, 03:57 PM
My entry for UU's 44th Season of Ukulele - Mele Kalikimaka with Special appearance from Maya McGizzy. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDiMFkg_o5A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDiMFkg_o5A

~dave~~wave~
12-20-2012, 05:17 PM
My entry for UU's 44th Season of Ukulele - Mele Kalikimaka with Special appearance from Maya McGizzy. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!

Holy Lapland, is that reindeer wearing a grass skirt?
Wonderful singing, playing and production.
I'm floored, welcome to the Seasons, Mark!

Dougf
12-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Although I didn't write this as a Christmas song, many of the photos are from old family Christmas cards we sent out over the years. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, UUers and Seasonistas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg8cGfT9HH4

uke4ia
12-20-2012, 07:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64wxA9aXjho

A bonus track. This is a tribute to the Hanukkah staple, the potato pancake.

pabrizzer
12-20-2012, 10:28 PM
My entry for UU's 44th Season of Ukulele - Mele Kalikimaka with Special appearance from Maya McGizzy. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDiMFkg_o5A

WOW!
What a fantastic performance!
I never thought I would be so impressed by a sock wearing a coconut bikini.
That was SO good. Welcome to the Seasons Mark.

pabrizzer
12-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Although I didn't write this as a Christmas song, many of the photos are from old family Christmas cards we sent out over the years. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, UUers and Seasonistas!

Gee Dougf,
That was truly lovely. Just wonderful. This is turning into a very special season.

decaturcomp
12-20-2012, 11:07 PM
This is a great one I hadn't heard before and beautifully done, too. Thanks!
"...you wen't to sleep with blood on your teeth" what a line. The feeling no pain/feeling great afterpain of the accident prone drunk.

Amen, brother.

[D] I had nothing to say on [G] Christmas [D] day
When you [Bm] threw all your [A] clothes in the [G] snow
[A] When you [D] burnt you hair [G] knocked over [D] chairs
I just [Bm] tried to stay [G] out of your [D] way
When you fell asleep with [G] blood on your [D] teeth
I got [Bm] in my car and [G] drove a- [D] way

Listen to me butter [G] fly
There's only so much [D] wine
You can [Bm] drink in one [G] life
But it will never be e- [D] nough
To save you [Bm] from the bot- [G] tom of your [D] glass

Where the state highway starts [G] I parked my [D] car
I got [Bm] out and [A] stared at the [G] stars
[A] As [D] meteors died and [G] shot across the [D] sky
I [Bm] thought about your [G] sad shining [D] eyes
I came back for my clothes when the [G] sun finally
[D] rose
But [Bm] you were still [G] passed out on the [D] floor

krabbers
12-20-2012, 11:12 PM
heres a great cover of my song Mr Christmas by Mike Ukedaman , they have included the christmas carols i used in the original version

http://youtu.be/3T-q61cCuQQ

decaturcomp
12-20-2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks, pal. I'm digging your music a great deal. Happy Christmas.

Beautifully played and sung Alan!

wee_ginga_yin
12-21-2012, 12:09 AM
@MarkT66 Crescent Fresh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dasab33h1nQ) dude. I definitely think that was Chester's daughter on back-up vocals... same glorious nervous energy was apparent.

GinnyT11
12-21-2012, 05:06 AM
My entry for UU's 44th Season of Ukulele - Mele Kalikimaka with Special appearance from Maya McGizzy. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!

Welcome, welcome, Mark---we are REALLY glad you've jumped into the Seasons! Please come back often!
Loved your song with the knitted back-up singer.
(Wave~Dave said Holy Lapland about a reindeer in a grass skirt, and I think it must be one of those special Lapp dancers. :D)

Doc_J
12-21-2012, 08:26 AM
http://youtu.be/JsRkvBeRrHA

Great song Ginny.

Excellent finger style rendition. You're getting good.

(Back to housecleaning and shopping for me. ):)

we tigers
12-21-2012, 10:31 AM
After my depressing bonus song yesterday, it is time for a cheery official entry of us together.
Again a song by The Magnetic Fields; yes we're fans...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtJNk-ErcrY

Enjoy your holidays Seasonistas! Thank you for inspiring us to join this weekly ukefest. We look forward to many more.

PS: Ukelites, we know the German part is incorrect. We've had German in school, Saskia even studied it in college, but we stayed true to Stephen Merritt's original lyrics... ;)

Tootler
12-21-2012, 11:50 AM
This song was recorded by the Pogues and Kirsty MacColl in 1987.

Here is my attempt at it.

http://youtu.be/3gkorIBR4T8
Bonus track.

mattydee
12-21-2012, 12:23 PM
I haven't had time to watch many of these yet, but I look forward to it. Here's my entry. Christmastime is Here by Vince Guaraldi.

http://youtu.be/kClwrHWK0us

This is my take on Woodshed's (http://www.ukulelehunt.com) arrangement of this classic tune. 2013 is going to be the year when I get serious about more instrumentals, and advancing as a player. So, a huge step out of my comfort zone with this one. And a big departure: no vocals. Gulp.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
12-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Mele Kalikimaka from Hawaii, seasonistas! Heading to Maui today... here's a Waikiki-style Silver Bells...
http://youtu.be/RSY1naiZIvU

ukuleledaveey
12-21-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi All and First may i wish you All a very merry xmas and a prosperous and healthy new year. It has been a delight and pleasure in getting to know you all and making and sharing music with you all and here is to the next year.Thank you for your kind and generous words of encouragement and ego massaging :) i truly appreciate it all, and i think you are all lovely lovely people. So here is to next year and long may the seasons roll on.

Here is my offical entry for this week, I am personally a bit of a grinch, dont really like christmas and the mass panic and rudeness it brings out in people(especially when they are driving or shopping) But i do have a favourite xmas song and here it is covered ,butchered by me :) "Stop the cavalry" by Jona Lewie
I have chosen a rather poigant photo at the start, christmas day 1914 No mans land, when both sides laid down there guns and had a game of football. I think this world would be a far better place with out politicians, one can dream hey :)
Happy xmas every one

http://youtu.be/qZ3xoGNUKWg

MarkT66
12-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Thank you GT3T11. I had a lot of fun with the video. Looking forward to more!

Mark

Welcome, welcome, Mark---we are REALLY glad you've jumped into the Seasons! Please come back often!
Loved your song with the knitted back-up singer.
(Wave~Dave said Holy Lapland about a reindeer in a grass skirt, and I think it must be one of those special Lapp dancers. :D)

MarkT66
12-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Hi Dave Wave. My friend is very talented, and sold me on the idea. It turned out so well. Thank you for watching!

Mark

Holy Lapland, is that reindeer wearing a grass skirt?
Wonderful singing, playing and production.
I'm floored, welcome to the Seasons, Mark!

ukeeku
12-21-2012, 05:42 PM
A bonus entry, with the Uke you could win

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rArqX_wl6jk

PatriciaPDX
12-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Hi all,

I thought I'd do my best to get in under the wire here. The odd little growl you hear at 1:26 is my Chihuahua on the couch, not happy at his brother pulling the blanket off him. Anyway, here 'tis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3HnHTTpz8w

Have a wonderful holiday! :D

Wongo
12-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Thanks for this beautifully heartfelt song, Alan. I appreciate your talent and your friendship.
Blessings on you and your family, now and into the new year.

--Ginny
One of my favourite Christmas songs of all time. Really nicely done

This song was recorded by the Pogues and Kirsty MacColl in 1987.

Here is my attempt at it.

http://youtu.be/3gkorIBR4T8
Bonus track.

Tootler
12-22-2012, 01:50 AM
One of my favourite Christmas songs of all time. Really nicely done

Thanks and :cheers:

FiL
12-22-2012, 02:52 AM
I don't remember exactly when, but sometime in the last ten years, I discovered this beautiful song by The Band, written by Robbie Robertson. It's become one of my favorite Christmas songs.

http://youtu.be/6o3H1nVG6XQ

- FiL

CountryMouse
12-22-2012, 05:08 AM
Hi all,

I thought I'd do my best to get in under the wire here. The odd little growl you hear at 1:26 is my Chihuahua on the couch, not happy at his brother pulling the blanket off him. Anyway, here 'tis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3HnHTTpz8w

Have a wonderful holiday! :D

I love this! Very laid-back and slightly sad. Your new Makala Dolphin shines in this! Great singing and playing! Love it! :)

CountryMouse

bbbannister
12-22-2012, 07:47 AM
Hi all

Here's A Fairytale of New York featuring Mrs B as Kirsty Maccoll!

http://youtu.be/Q6_3_xK_Pyw

Happy Christmas your arse :-)

BB

FiL
12-22-2012, 08:02 AM
I love Christmas music! I've been enjoying everyone's entries so far--the classics, the obscurities, and the self-penned. But there are so many great songs out there, so I hope you'll indulge me in a few bonus tracks this week.

Here's the first, a cover of Robert Earl Keen's off-color "Merry Christmas From the Family", sort of a white-trash Christmas anthem.

http://youtu.be/yAk_MnupsnU

- FiL

FiL
12-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Okay, one more bonus track from me. Listening to "We Need a Little Christmas" on the radio recently, the contrast between the sad lyrics and the peppy music really struck me. So here it is slowed down a bit.

http://youtu.be/pOPcZPu8wUQ

- FiL

CountryMouse
12-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Hi all

BB

I really liked this!

CountryMouse

strumsilly
12-22-2012, 09:59 AM
moving this weekend, so I've been listening to the playlists while packing. I don't have time to respond to all, but I want to say you all have really outdone yourselves this season. everything from classic to supersilly. wishing all a Blessed Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza, ...see you next season.

pabrizzer
12-22-2012, 10:22 AM
moving this weekend, so I've been listening to the playlists while packing. I don't have time to respond to all, but I want to say you all have really outdone yourselves this season. everything from classic to supersilly. wishing all a Blessed Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza, ...see you next season.

Read somewhere that moving house is very high on the list of the most stressful things we humans do.
Hope you are settled in somewhere for Christmas (Hanukkah, Kwanza...)
All the best ...

MarkT66
12-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Bonus track entry. We had way too much fun making this one. "Happy Christmas" -Toots & the Maytals. Special appearance by Peter Kemp on harmonica. Happy Holidays to all!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJMwgBj98oQ

pabrizzer
12-22-2012, 11:27 AM
John Lennon's Imagine as a bonus track.

Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try
No hell below us Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace

You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world

You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will live as one

I guess this is an atheist's song of hope.
But I think the sentiments fit well with this season.
I imagine the world could be like that. Maybe next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6lujpsDYAI

bbbannister
12-22-2012, 12:19 PM
I really liked this!

CountryMouse

Thanks Country Mouse.

strumsilly
12-22-2012, 12:40 PM
John Lennon's Imagine as a bonus track.

Imagine there's no heaven It's easy if you try.
I guess this is an atheist's song of hope

I kind of like the idea of heaven , how bout heaven on earth? even we Christians can like the song though. rest in peace Mr. Lennon, and if there really is a heaven, I hope you're there.

glass
12-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Here is our entry into this great week, enjoy!

http://youtu.be/y6CIS4DjDG8

TCK
12-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Quick and dirty- can never have too many covers of this CLASSIC Robert Earl Keen Jr. tune (FIL beat me to it- well done!).
Merry Christmas from the Family- complete with mother in law chastising me for bad language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FdoRKm8bOs&feature=youtu.be

If you are so inclined, today's radio show (http://dlaurice.podomatic.com/entry/2012-12-22T10_12_48-08_00) is horrifyingly bad Christmas music. A promise to clear any yuletide gathering out fast.

Merry Christmas from Cloverdale y'all

Wongo
12-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Hi all

BB
This is both my wife and my favorite Christmas song. We really enjoyed your version. Maybe mrs b could join you more often

pabrizzer
12-22-2012, 03:54 PM
I kind of like the idea of heaven , how bout heaven on earth? even we Christians can like the song though. rest in peace Mr. Lennon, and if there really is a heaven, I hope you're there.

At the beginning of UkuleleDaveey's clip called Stop the Cavalry there is a picture of WWI troops who have left their trenches on Christmas day to play a game of soccer (and I believe some even exchanged basic gifts).
But you know they went back to killing each other in the following days.
Christmas can be like that - love of human kind one day - back to the hurley burley of everyday life the next.
I guess I shared the melody and lyrics of Imagine here because it expresses a wish for long lasting change - Christmas all the time - if you will.

Joko
12-22-2012, 05:08 PM
I play my uke for Him..Pa dook da dook dook...

Bonus track

http://youtu.be/ed5VuHCcf-M

~dave~~wave~
12-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Here it is nearly Sunday, and no one has posted this song.
So it falls upon myself to do the needful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOrk8flkFnQ

C Am
Met my old lover in a grocery store
C Am
The snow was falling Christmas eve
C Am
I stole behind her in the frozen foods
D7 F G
And I touched her on her sleeve
C Am
She didn't recognize the face at first
C Am
But then her eye flew open wide
C Am
She went to hug me and she spilled her purse
D7 F G
And we laughed until we cried.

She took her groceries to the check-out stand
The food was totaled up and bagged
We stood there lost in our embarrassment As the conversation dragged
Went to have ourselves a drink or two But couldn't find and open bar
Bought a six-pack at the liquor store And we drank it in her car.

Am F
We drank a toast to innocence
G Am
We drank a toast to now
Am F
We tried to reach beyond the emptiness
G
But neither one knew how.

She said she married her an architect
Who kept her warm and safe and dry
She would've liked to say she loved the man
But she didn't like to lie.
I said the years had been a friend to her
And her eyes was still as blue
But in those eyes I wasn't sure if I
Saw a doubt of gratitude.

We drank a toast to innocence
We drank a toast to now F
We tried to reach beyond the emptiness
But neither one knew how.
We drank a toast to innocence,
We drank a toast to time.
Reliving in our eloquence
Another "auld lang syne."

The beer was empty and our tongues were tired
And running out of things to say
She gave a kiss to me as I got out
And I watched her drive away
Just for a moment I was back in school
And felt that old familiar pain
And as I turned to make my way back home
The snow turned into rain.

thesillydave
12-22-2012, 07:27 PM
happy holidays everyone! have watched some really great songs! great job seasonistas! here's my silly entry!

http://youtu.be/20iW12NFwAQ

merry christmas!!

Barbablanca
12-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Dave Wave - Great song! I loved songs which seem to tell you a novel's worth of information in a few short verses and a chorus. I had heard of Fogelberg, but never actually heard him. Looks like someone I should not have missed out on.

Good grief that snowy landscape in the background was perfect for this song. Were they local images from your area? Titanic iceberg sized snow drifts in the car park!!! Woo.... I am glad I am just about to go out and take a hike across some local hills in the Mediterranean sunshine ;)

Not had chance to comment on all the entries this week, but have listened to most, if not all. Great variety this season!

So never more heart felt "Seasons" greetings to all of you seasonistas out there! Bones Festes from Catalonia!

~dave~~wave~
12-23-2012, 03:32 AM
Good grief that snowy landscape in the background was perfect for this song. Were they local images from your area? Titanic iceberg sized snow drifts in the car park!!! Woo....

I just put the camera on my dashboard as I drove to pick up a pizza last night.
We will have a "White Christmas" here in Nebraska.
We like to say the cold kills the weeds and mosquitos.

I feel sorry for you, Bernie, and all the sad little Catalonian children.
Father Christmas can't bring them sleds and ice skates. ;)

apnaples
12-23-2012, 03:38 AM
Well, here's my entry. Couldn't quite find the time to get it right (that might take infinite time), so it's a little rough. I hold no delusions that I'll ever be a singer. But anyway, I really wanted to participate.

I wanted to share this song. Mary Gauthier's songs have such honesty and grace. One of the best songwriters out there in my opinion, to hear it how it should be done, you should check out her original version of this song - her singing style just complements the lyrics so well - here is a link to her doing the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kttOM1IrG8E&feature=share&list=PLI5NZMGZGT_9j6Yo1Y8evzYCNxKrOazJy

http://youtu.be/_NWvMZsmtM4

apnaples
12-23-2012, 04:39 AM
Love it - good rendition of a good song.
Hi all

BB

bbbannister
12-23-2012, 05:53 AM
This is both my wife and my favorite Christmas song. We really enjoyed your version. Maybe mrs b could join you more often

Thanks Wongo, I'm in negotiations to explore if that's possible :-). Never know I may get her on a Uke yet.

BB

bbbannister
12-23-2012, 05:55 AM
Love it - good rendition of a good song.

Thanks Apnaples. Have a great Christmas.

~dave~~wave~
12-23-2012, 05:55 AM
Well, here's my entry. Couldn't quite find the time to get it right (that might take infinite time), so it's a little rough. I hold no delusions that I'll ever be a singer. But anyway, I really wanted to participate.

I wanted to share this song. Mary Gauthier's songs have such honesty and grace. One of the best songwriters out there in my opinion, to hear it how it should be done, you should check out her original version of this song - her singing style just complements the lyrics so well - here is a link to her doing the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kttOM1IrG8E&feature=share&list=PLI5NZMGZGT_9j6Yo1Y8evzYCNxKrOazJy

Wow, I love that I've been introduced to so many new (to me) fantastic songs this week.

Welcome, apnaples, a very auspicious debut on the Seasons.

apnaples
12-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Wow, I love that I've been introduced to so many new (to me) fantastic songs this week.

Welcome, apnaples, a very auspicious debut on the Seasons.

Thanks dave, glad to introduce a new artist to you

uke4ia
12-23-2012, 12:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQp4Znp-eDE

A last bonus song for this Season. This is an original Hanukkah song called "My Menorah Lit the House on Fire and It Burned for Eight Days". I finished the words and learned to play it just a couple of days too late for Mattydee's "Fire" theme. But since I wanted to get the video posted before the start of Hanukkah, it was two weeks too early for this Season.

I hope you had a Happy Hanukkah, Superb Solstice, Fantastic Festivus, and Above Average Apocalypse. And for those holidays still on the way, I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and a Joyous Kwanzaa, and a Spiffy Epiphany.

ukuLily Mars
12-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Getting my entry in with mere hours to spare! I'm sorry the video is so dark but I hope you enjoy it. Here is "Christmas Island" which seems a good choice for playing the 'ukulele in the Swiss Alps! I hope that you all are having a wonderful holiday season, and that those of you who celebrate Christmas have a wonderful one, and that all of us have a healthy and happy 2013. And a happy birthday to Seeso!

Love,
Lily

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf0r8P32D80

Jazzbanjorex
12-23-2012, 04:02 PM
I wanted to get one last holiday song in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0osbW7yyNI&feature=youtu.be
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays my friends.
Rex

ukuLily Mars
12-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Here's a bonus, and it's as dark as the last one. Well, I did three all at once and it was hard to get the lighting right. I suppose I could have moved away from the Christmas decorations but I was trying to be festive! :D Anyway, this is a song I have always loved. It's "Mary's Boy Child" by Jester Hairston, who was a really extraordinary man and I hope my version would make him smile. Let's all pretend we don't notice where I go all to pieces at the end, shall we? I hope you all enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncDXFklhWi0

ukuLily Mars
12-23-2012, 04:17 PM
One more bonus and then I'll stop, I promise! This one is for my husband, who wanted me to play "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree." Possibly because he wanted me to stop playing "Christmas Island" over and over, but he was kind enough not to say that so we'll never know. I hope you all enjoy this! Happy holidays to you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_cXyxERmM0

pabrizzer
12-23-2012, 04:32 PM
I wanted to get one last holiday song in.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays my friends.
Rex
That was real good, Rex. Beautifully sung!
Mele Kalikimaka:)

Jazzbanjorex
12-23-2012, 04:41 PM
That was real good, Rex. Beautifully sung!
Mele Kalikimaka:)

Thank you. Your too kind.
Mele Kalikimaka

ksiegel
12-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Well, just haven't had a chance to get anything recorded for this season, even though I have 3 good ones on tap.

Any problem if I post them as bonuses after the official end time (provided I actually get them recorded)?

-Kurt

glass
12-23-2012, 05:56 PM
So many good entries this week!!

weerpool
12-23-2012, 07:44 PM
sssssssssssssshzzzwing!!!!!!!! did i make it in time? merry christmas everyone!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnQVKkyaXus&feature=youtu.be

Marco D
12-23-2012, 07:58 PM
http://youtu.be/tmriGXx1EwA
Here's my entry: A variation on O Little Town of Bethlehem. Great contest, many, many good entries.

electrauke
12-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Here is my entry, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDycs9HKXJo

~dave~~wave~
12-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Here's my entry: A variation on O Little Town of Bethlehem. Great contest, many, many good entries.

Whew! I knew you could do it. If at first you don't succeed...
...and you got your entry in with an entire minute to spare...

Brilliant arrangement, by the way.

Thanks seeso and ukeeku for a super week.

seeso
12-26-2012, 11:45 AM
I've got a lot of videos to watch! I'll make an announcement regarding the winner no later than Sunday the 30th at midnight. Thanks for entering, everyone!

seeso
01-02-2013, 07:11 AM
Ack! So hard to pick just ONE. I finally did it, though.

First of all, let me say that I really enjoyed everyone's entries. I had a great time watching them, even though I knew I'd have to *gulp* pick a winner. I wish I could give everyone a prize. Alas, that is not how contests work...

The winner of the 44th Season of the Ukulele, and brand new owner of a Lanikai Banjolele, is...

ALEMARCO!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0OynpV1ubk

Her beautiful rendition of the Coventry Carol almost brought me to tears. Congratulations, Alemarco! Please send me a PM with your shipping address, so our lovely friend Ukeeku can send you the uke.

Again, thanks to everyone that entered. Happy New Year!

ukeeku
01-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Awesome, really nice.
I just pm'd you for info on where the uke is to be sent.
Congrats again!

First of all, let me say that I really enjoyed everyone's entries. I had a great time watching them, even though I knew I'd have to *gulp* pick a winner. I wish I could give everyone a prize. Alas, that is not how contests work...

The winner of the 44th Season of the Ukulele, and brand new owner of a Lanikai Banjolele, is...

ALEMARCO!!!

Her beautiful rendition of the Coventry Carol almost brought me to tears. Congratulations, Alemarco! Please send me a PM with your shipping address, so our lovely friend Ukeeku can send you the uke.

CountryMouse
01-02-2013, 07:39 AM

ALEMARCO!!!

Congratulations!! You really deserve it! You're gonna love the banjolele! I've got one just like it, and it's a lot of fun!

CountryMouse

GinnyT11
01-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Great choice, Seeso! Alemarco's carol was really beautiful (as were her other entries, especially Va pensiero).

Yay, Alemarco! What a way to start the new year!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
01-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Congrats, alemarco, and thanks to everyone for sharing your holiday spirit! Thanks seeso and ukeeku for hosting and prizing, respectively, and here's wishing everyone a uke-filled 2013!

thesillydave
01-02-2013, 10:31 AM
congrats alemarco! that was a very beautiful rendition! cheers also to seeso and ukeeku, and to all the seasonistas!

mattydee
01-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Congrats Alemarco! And thanks to Seeso and Tim!

Barbablanca
01-02-2013, 11:07 AM
Well done Alemarco. A truly haunting version of that Carol and a deserved win.

glass
01-02-2013, 11:29 AM
Never heard the song you did great, Congrats!!

pabrizzer
01-03-2013, 12:16 AM
It was a hauntingly beautiful rendition of that carol Alemarco. Congratulations!

ukuLily Mars
01-03-2013, 04:34 AM
Congratulations, Alemarco! You did a beautiful job and I hope you enjoy your new 'uke!

myrnaukelele
01-03-2013, 02:02 PM
Well done Alemarco! Congratulations and enjoy your new uke - looking forward to hearing you play it :)

Jazzbanjorex
01-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Well deserved win Alemarco. Congratulations.

alemarco
01-04-2013, 07:01 AM
Wow, there were so many amazing entries this week that I never expected this.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and kind words!

Tootler
01-04-2013, 07:05 AM
I add my congratulations. I really enjoyed your version of the Coventry Carol. Your win was well deserved.