PDA

View Full Version : Buzzing on chord changes

Youkalaylee
12-16-2012, 06:24 AM
I've noticed when I change chords the strings buzz, especially on the last strum before I change chords. I think its either because - 1. I'm anticipating moving my fingers to the next chord so I'm not pressing as hard on the final strum or 2. I'm letting go of the strings too soon after strumming for the last time.

Any advice? I know without a video of me playing its hard to judge which one it is but some general advice on how to change chords without losing rhythm or creating a buzz would be ace, cheers.

Note: I still buzz on chords sometimes because my fingers aren't positioned right (not as much as I used to though its only occasionally now!) but even when they are and sound fine when I'm strumming I start buzzing again just before/after a change.

Harold O.
12-16-2012, 06:39 AM
If you can strum the individual chords and not get a buzz, then it's probably not the instrument.

I've gotten to where I can strum buzzless. But I still get it from time to time. It happens most when first picking up picking up the uke —before I get a few warmup strums. I sometimes happens when I change instruments, say, from concert to tenor and haven't yet mentally/physically adjusted to the slight string distance variations. After playing awhile, it's also my signal that I am getting tired and should sit the next one out.

The buzz you hear is from an adjacent string just touching your finger. Try this - hold down a string at any fret and pluck it cleanly. Your finger will meet the fretboard perpendicularly (at a right angle). While repeatedly plucking, slowly move the angle of your finger. You will eventually hear a buzz. That's where the issue is. Clearing it up is a matter of technique and practice (of course).

wallyboy
12-16-2012, 06:51 AM
make sure you have a clean chord shape and try and slow down chord changes, when you can do this cleanly speed up, i had a similar problem i was trying to play to fast

Youkalaylee
12-16-2012, 07:10 AM
If you can strum the individual chords and not get a buzz, then it's probably not the instrument.

I've gotten to where I can strum buzzless. But I still get it from time to time. It happens most when first picking up picking up the uke —before I get a few warmup strums. I sometimes happens when I change instruments, say, from concert to tenor and haven't yet mentally/physically adjusted to the slight string distance variations. After playing awhile, it's also my signal that I am getting tired and should sit the next one out.

The buzz you hear is from an adjacent string just touching your finger. Try this - hold down a string at any fret and pluck it cleanly. Your finger will meet the fretboard perpendicularly (at a right angle). While repeatedly plucking, slowly move the angle of your finger. You will eventually hear a buzz. That's where the issue is. Clearing it up is a matter of technique and practice (of course).

Making sure my fingers are at a good angle to the fretboard is defiantly helping, but what about when changing chords?

Youkalaylee
12-16-2012, 07:11 AM
make sure you have a clean chord shape and try and slow down chord changes, when you can do this cleanly speed up, i had a similar problem i was trying to play to fast

I defiantly try to play too fast. One of the songs I'm learning to play ATM is "house of the rising sun" and I'm also learning to play "wandering stranger". I can hear both of them in my head as I play so I'm trying to keep up with the speed of the actual song.

Harold O.
12-16-2012, 07:16 AM
Making sure my fingers are at a good angle to the fretboard is defiantly helping, but what about when changing chords?

When changing chords, you might be paying more attention to which frets to press as opposed to what angle to hold them at. Increasing your speed amplifies the opportunities for error.

wallyboy
12-16-2012, 07:33 AM
a tip i was given was just play the chords to the song as an excercise
then add words to song

Youkalaylee
12-16-2012, 09:23 AM
a tip i was given was just play the chords to the song as an excercise
then add words to song

What do you mean by "as an exercise"?

wallyboy
12-16-2012, 10:40 AM
What do you mean by "as an exercise"?
if you use the chord order in song at say four beats per chord, play it like this a few times so you can be clean with your chord changes, then add the song, it gets you use to chords as an excercise, it should make song flow more easy by building up to pace of song
i am learning peggy sue at mo i am using same method it is a fairly fast song i couldn't do it at song pace so i am slowing building up,
only trouble is some silly sod put an Eb in it LOL

PhilUSAFRet
12-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Make sure you master the song slowly, before trying to play it at full speed. Many new players make this mistake......playing faster than your skill level allows. Poor fingering technique nearly always results. Master the technique(s) slowly, the speed will follow with mastery.

Mercury
12-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Play tunes at speed, note areas of difficulty, then work at those at half-speed. If problems persist - transpose.