Checking interest in vintage Martin Baritone - exc but not totally mint condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendellfiddler

Reaction score
Anyone looking for one of these? The one I have is in super nice condition but does have some light playing wear. Neck is great, no body cracks, a couple of small nicks and some strum marks. A player I think, rather than a collector, but a real nice player. Original friction pegs work well. It's in a modern hard shell case (Canadian, I think) that's in good but not perfect condition.

Price is negotiable, but I'm thinking I'd like $1200 including insured shipping (which will be considerable) - CONUS? I'd be happy to reduce the price by $50 for a "pick-up"

Send me PM if you're interested.

Last edited:
Thanks all. If I don't sell it, I'm thinking of maybe putting Gotoh geared tuners on it - the open gear kind. I like good friction tuners on tenors and smaller, but the bottom two strings of this are wound. Since it's more likely a player's instrument than a collector's item, it might be a good thing - make it a bit more functional, not that it isn't now.

Doug

Doug,
I'm not interested in Baritones right now but IMO, the worst thing you can do is install open geared tuners. It devalues the instrument.....
Tim

Just curious, would you feel the same way about better friction tuners? And, for the sake of discussion, is an instrument made in the 60's, not particularly rare, has some minor playing wear (i.e., is definately not "Mint") have more or equal value as a collector's item or as a quality instrument that sounds good, plays well and tunes easily? Given the cost of a comparable new instrument with better tuners, and what these are selling for (outside of music stores and dealers who have them at about 30% more than they seem to go for elsewhere) I'm not seeing a differential right now. Maybe later? I certainly haven't decided. I guess that's why I'm up for selling it if someone wants it for a reasonable price as is.

dt

Last edited:
It's your instrument and you can do what you want to it. But I'd be replacing the friction tuners before I'd put on geared tuners. Your instrument is a Martin, not a no brand, and it has collector value no matter what the condition.

Just remember as you do your cost benefit, that this is a Martin from the 1960s. They don't make those anymore.

May I suggest that you price it and post it? You may be surprised at the interest you get!

Good luck!

I would agree with pdxuke. I'm not sure but 60's baritones are probably rarer than the 30's or 40's ones due to increasing guitar production.

I would agree with pdxuke. I'm not sure but 60's baritones are probably rarer than the 30's or 40's ones due to increasing guitar production.

1960 is when the first Martin baritone came out. They did'nt put their "Made in USA" brand on thru the soundhole til 1962 and were discontinued in 1977. Could only get one by special order after.

So looking thru the soundhole; if there is'nt a brand there, it was made between 1960 and 1961. If there is a brand; made between 1962 to 1977.

Here are my thoughts: Any Martin baritone that is in 'super nice condition with no cracks' is a collector uke to most of us baritone guys. I wouldn't make any change which involves drilling new holes or permanently altering the uke. New tuners would undoubtedly involve putting new holes in the headstock.

I have a Martin baritone in similar condition. These are wonderful historic ukes which have survived 50 years, and probably will survive a lot longer. While I don't think the Martins are super rare yet, there are very few that have survived unmolested.

I think your Martin is priced fairly and will be coveted by someone on UU. I wish I had room for as many Martins as I could find.

Last edited:
P1140133.jpgP1140131.jpgP1140129.jpgP1140126.jpgMartin Baritone uke 2.jpgView attachment 46500

Well, ok. Good articulation of the issue. I guess it would be better to sell it rather than modify it. So, $1200 including shipping to CONUS. It does include a contemporary hard shell case that fits it well.

Doug Tanner

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom