New Uje Day Kamaka HF-1

Cornfield

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
First, a disclaimer - I am not a soprano kind of guy. When my local music shop , Hix Brothers in Illinois, became a Kamaka dealer and received this Soprano I was smitten. I've tried many Sopranos and always left them in the stores (except for gift ukes).
The Mrs and I put a serious cap on how much money we could spend on each other for Christmas but I suddenly realized there was no cap on what we could spend on ourselves.

Tada, the HF-1 followed me home. It will join the HF-3, HF-38, Frankenreso and Oscar Schmidt solid Koa Concert.

The tuners on this thing may take a bit of getting used to. I usually have geared tuners on everything, even the Frankenreso got some (Waverly tuners). The tuners on this HF-1 look like serious machines.

Last edited:
It is all what you are used to. I have friction tuners and when I use geared tuners it is hard for me because you have turn them soooo much to tune the uke. It just takes a tap with the friction tuners and you don't have to have them so tight that you can't move them without loosening the screw, but off course tight enough that they slip out of tune.

First, a disclaimer - I am not a soprano kind of guy. When my local music shop , Hix Brothers in Illinois, became a Kamaka dealer and received this Soprano I was smitten. I've tried many Sopranos and always left them in the stores (except for gift ukes).
The Mrs and I put a serious cap on how much money we could spend on each other for Christmas but I suddenly realized there was no cap on what we could spend on ourselves.

Tada, the HF-1 followed me home. It will join the HF-3, HF-38, Frankenreso and Oscar Schmidt solid Koa Concert.

Understood.:) Love those Kamakas.

Congrats on your new christmas present...woo hoo always nice to learn a new size uke...plus it will give you more motivation and inspiration to learn and learn all sizes of ukes..
happy strummings

Congratulations! That sounds really cool.

Congrats. Welcome to Club Kamaka. Cana pineapple be far behind?

FWIW, I HATED friction tuners when I started playing (came from guitar world.) Hated them. Now I adore them for their aesthetics and lament the movement towards geared tuners even on--gasp--sopranos! Ohana broke my heart when they started putting geared tuners on their sopranos.

In fact, if you look at vintage ukes, it was nothing but friction tuners. I've played a vintage Martin Tenor and Baritone both with friction tuners. It was a miracle of cool.

Anyway, you'll get used to them and--prediction--grow to appreciate them!

I'm thrilled to hear that Hix Bros is a Kamaka dealer. I doubt I'd ever buy a Kamaka without seeing it and playing it first. They're good, but as a production uke, they're all not sparklers ( as the Collings vs. Kamaka thread suggests). That said, they do hold their value better than most other brands. I'll strode on down to the brothers Hix and play one, John.

PS John...if you find the soprano not your size after all, and are interested in a trade for anything on my sig list, contact me. I'd be game for ideas, and we live close enough to inspect fully first. Steve in Geneva.

Pps I'd never get a soprano or a concert with anything but friction tuners. I agree w last poster below.

I fell in love with this Soprano at first strum. Yes, Hix Brothers is now an official dealer for Kamaka and Kanile'a. Ask Peter how long it took to become a Kamaka dealer.....

You are welcome to come visit my baby or any of it's siblings, including a new Deering Boston banjo, anytime.

Thanks, John I appreciate the offer and tip. I just went on Hix Bros website, and sure enuff, the two Kamakas they had are both sold out. Lol.

I'll keep my eyes peeled when I drive by Hix Brothers sometime. I'm kinda doing the Martin thing for a spell now. But, that'll probably have run its course by the summertime and ill be onto something else ( a whole other hobby,perhaps. Lol).

The Island Park bridge is done now, so ought to be great access again and plenty of chances to play there in good weather. -- Steve.

Congrats on scoring an awesome uke! The friction tuners it comes with are a lot better than most out there. Still, I swapped mine out for the same kind of Gotohs that KoAloha uses, because they're a little smoother. Luckily most US-made ukes use good friction tuners.

Congratulations on your new ukulele! Kamaka makes great sopranos. Please post photos when you have a chance for those of us who, no matter how many ukes we ourselves own, love living vicariously through other peoples' new uke days.

Congrats on scoring an awesome uke! The friction tuners it comes with are a lot better than most out there. Still, I swapped mine out for the same kind of Gotohs that KoAloha uses, because they're a little smoother. Luckily most US-made ukes use good friction tuners.

I swapped my HF-1 out to the Gotoh tuner too. I don't know why Kamaka puts those schaller friction tuners (using since 1974) on, when the Gotoh's are so much smoother. They aren't as machiney or cool looking, but they work much much better. The friction isn't against the wood, it's internal to the tuner. Plus, you don't have this big monster tuner sticking out of the back of a petite ukulele.

Not much alteration, they just added 1/2 millimeter of material to make the holes smaller

I love my Kamaka even more now

Attachments

• New Gotoh.jpg
    New Gotoh.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I swapped my HF-1 out to the Gotoh tuner too. I don't know why Kamaka puts those schaller friction tuners (using since 1974) on, when the Gotoh's are so much smoother. They aren't as machiney or cool looking, but they work much much better. The friction isn't against the wood, it's internal to the tuner. Plus, you don't have this big monster tuner sticking out of the back of a petite ukulele.

I love my Kamaka even more now

I've considered swapping out the tuners as well. Any reason I shouldn't? It is reversible, right?

Oh wait--i found the archive where Skinny talks about having Elderly install them. I don't want to make that kind of alteration so I'll stick with schallers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom