Sugbo Ukulele?

kissing

Reaction score
The only info I could find was that they're handmade in the Philippines by experienced craftmen.
But seems the back of the uke had a massive crack and a bit of it broke off :confused: See here at 0:27: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o49N2s64aaA

Last edited:
Hmmm, interesting that...not sure why they would include that in their promotional video especially as it puts the lie to the claim that the sides and back are carved out of a single piece of wood (the join down the back can be clearly seen in that broken piece).

I've handled other folk instruments where the back was carved from a big block of wood and not been very impressed - basically it requires a lot more weight to get the same strength you get from a much lighter built-up body. I guess that's good if you're using it as a weapon, but sonically it's never floated my boat.

Edit to add - just watched the first video (Pearly Shells) in the playlist kissing posted - oh my goodness - the intonation is pretty terrible on that thing. "Pro" ukulele indeed... :(

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom