Gretsch concert and tenor baseline roots collection re-issues

ukegirl

Reaction score
This is for both the Concert and Tenor size models...as a matter of fact, lets add the soproano in here too as I had one of them a while ago and never wrote a review! Initial thoughts...all of them had very sharp fret ends. I'm handy with set up work etc, so no real issue. Although someone who is not comfortable taking a set of files to their new Uke might 1) put off buying the thing in the first place or 2) will need to have a tech do a quick bit of fret work. The overall build quality was quite nice, and the overall look was great. They all needed a bit a of set up, but other than the fret ends, they were very playable. The tone on these things is outstanding, and these are the baseline laminated models. The Soprano($99) is loud and clear, the concert($119) a bit less so, but a little sweeter. The tenor($129) is outstanding sounding, esp. for the money! The gig bags they come with are ok, better than nothing, but you might want to upgrade if you travel with your uke. (although it cool that they included them) The finish is a nice semi gloss and the grain was really nice looking esp. on the soprano. The tuners held tuning well after the string streched out and I was not ashamed to be seen playing any of them in public...This is just my experience and yours may be different, but for the money I was very impressed...Side note: The whole roots collection they came out with is pretty nicely done..I have no affiliation with Fender/Gretsch or any Ukulele manufactor...thanks for reading!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...-Grass-Root-Series-I-think-they-have-a-winner!
I love my Tenor with the new Fishman pickup. The fret end on one of the frets was shorter than the rest when looking closely but did not affect playability and mine were smooth across the fret board. Sounds much better with different strings than the Aquila's for my ears. Cheers!

This is for both the Concert and Tenor size models...as a matter of fact, lets add the soproano in here too as I had one of them a while ago and never wrote a review! Initial thoughts...all of them had very sharp fret ends. I'm handy with set up work etc, so no real issue. Although someone who is not comfortable taking a set of files to their new Uke might 1) put off buying the thing in the first place or 2) will need to have a tech do a quick bit of fret work. The overall build quality was quite nice, and the overall look was great. They all needed a bit a of set up, but other than the fret ends, they were very playable. The tone on these things is outstanding, and these are the baseline laminated models. The Soprano($99) is loud and clear, the concert($119) a bit less so, but a little sweeter. The tenor($129) is outstanding sounding, esp. for the money! The gig bags they come with are ok, better than nothing, but you might want to upgrade if you travel with your uke. (although it cool that they included them) The finish is a nice semi gloss and the grain was really nice looking esp. on the soprano. The tuners held tuning well after the string streched out and I was not ashamed to be seen playing any of them in public...This is just my experience and yours may be different, but for the money I was very impressed...Side note: The whole roots collection they came out with is pretty nicely done..I have no affiliation with Fender/Gretsch or any Ukulele manufactor...thanks for reading!

Top Bottom