Need help identifying my white label Kamaka soprano

yevincent

Reaction score
Ahola!!! It is my first post!!!!
I bought this Kamaka from eBay, have no idea when it was made, what materials of the nut, saddle and neck are. Could anyone help me?
BTW, it costs me $460, is the price OK(just say it, I bought it anyway:p)? What is the reasnable price for it?
HERE are the photos:
old case
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
inside binding
4.jpg
no serial nuber or date
7.jpg

Welcome to the UU forums
Your kamaka white label is made between 1980-82 it has a black plastic nut and saddle...I can date it with the features on your uke...congrats on your new/old kamaka soprano your price may be a little high here in hawaii...and still a little
high in the mainland US a little bit.. I bought a white label 1995 kamaka soprano for 275 which is a real good deal and a steal...
Happy Strummings...

Last edited:
More photos and infor.

Fret board, looks like koa? The dots is not Mother of Pearl fret markers, I think they are made of wood. Interesting.5.jpg
Koa neck?? I know Kamaka used to have koa neck, but when did they stop making koa neck? Any infor.?
6.jpg
The back show a centre line, interestingly, it is not very centre at all, like the green line shown. As a result, the back is not symmetrical. Is it nomal???
8.jpg

Any information will be appreciated. Thank you!!

Welcome to the UU forums
Your kamaka white label is made between 1980-82 it has a black plastic nut and saddle...I can date it with the features on your uke...congrats on your new/old kamaka soprano your price may be a little high here in hawaii...and still a little
high in the mainland US a little bit.. I bought a white label 1995 kamaka soprano for 275 which is a real good deal and a steal...
Happy Strummings...

Thanks for reply!!!
I was kind of upset by the price, and your 1995 Kamaka deal killed me T T

your fretboard is rosewood...I just check I have the same uke too....and mine has perfect intonation and is one of my best kamakas..even better than the current models
I believe the fretmarkers are white plastic and I have that same single side fret marker on the 7th fret only. as for the back, mine is bookmatched perfectly and in line up
with the center of the heel....I believe you neck is koa, if you look at the front of your headstock, the koa grain runs all the way through the back and front...no veneer
not sure when they stopped...used to know, but my 90's kamaka soprano has a mahogany neck..just checked...I am not sure how many kamaka sopranos I have, he he
last count 8-9 some time ago...as for the center green line, have no idea...it could be a repair or a second, they sold them back then but not now...hope it helps

Thanks for reply!!!
I was kind of upset by the price, and your 1995 Kamaka deal killed me T T

here is my 1995 kamaka I bought in mint condition...
018_zps17a44a37.jpg

I could show you my other same uke you have but it's the exact same and mine looks new because it was refinished by kamaka....

Last edited:
constella aycopyr

here is my 1995 kamaka I bought in mint condition...
018_zps17a44a37.jpg

I could show you my other same uke you have but it's the exact same and mine looks new because it was refinished by kamaka....

Stop it! Your photo is double-kill....
So nice and mint condition.....T T

Aloha Stan the Kamaka Man!

Are you sure that the nut and saddle are plastic and not ebony? I'd rather believe them to be ebony, but if I must accept that they are plastic, I will on your say so;)

Welcome to the UU forums
Happy Strummings...

Stan is right, it is plastic. I have a white label from 1999, and the nut and saddle are plastic.

I think the price you paid is about right. These are cheaper in Hawaii, but on the mainland everyone wants a lot of money for Kamaka. Enjoy it, looks like it is in great shape!

At the end of the story... I decided to return it, not becuase of the a little bit high price I spent on the uke,but the dishonesty and mistake that the seller had. The Kamaka was liseted as "new other", what I received is a obvious used item with scratch and ding.
Do feel hurt and sad.
I tried to ask the seller give me back $65, but she refused and argued with me that I did not ask about the scratch or ding thing. She THINKS the uke is in new other in her eyes.
What a terrible experience in the eBay.
11.jpg
22.jpg

Top Bottom