Fingerstyle book

patfia

Reaction score
I have both: I prefer the way the Nelson book is organized (easy to difficult, variations of the same songs, so you can build on knowledge.) Of the MacKillop books, I prefer The Easy Fingerstyle because it has a CD and shows you the tunes slow, then fast, and for playing, I like the Baroque book he wrote, just because the tunes are very pretty.

I have the book, it's pretty good. The songs are a a little odd.. however my teacher loves it and says it has a good progression of songs and techniques.. It is not overwhelming at all to play from the beginning..

IF you dont mind a noob chiming in :D IMO when learning a new style or instrument it is always better to learn songs you know or are familiar with ,then once you fully grasp what your doing then move on to learning what ever you want to .that being said , its my main issue with many or ( most) How to play type books .
So my advice is when buying a how to play book .. just go out and to the book/music store and thumb through them and make sure there is at least a few songs in the easy section that you already know the song and pick that one

Thank you all for your comments. Very helpful. Noah, agreed it's best to be able to look at the book but, just as with instruments, not always available. And, yes, agree it's a lot easier to learn something you already have an inkling of how it should sound when you're done making a mess of it. Good advice.

I think I bought mine from Hamcor on eBay, and they did a page or two as a preview. Or maybe contact Rob directly. He seems like a nice chap.

Top Bottom