Famous Kawaya uke

Normagal

Reaction score
A friend gave me one. Not sure I'm liking the sound. Have no idea how old the strings are. What kind of strings would on good on this uke?
Thanks in advance.

I would start with a set of Martin M600 flourocarbons. Trying different strings is part of the fun in a new uke. Enjoy your journey.

I got a Famous pineapple from Ebay a couple years ago. They said no damage or repairs, but when it arrived, the bridge was badly re-glued, the back and sides were separating, there was a loose brace and a missing brace. I sent it right back.
I was very disappointed that I never got to even play it.:(

Do you mean a Kiwaya uke, which I think is called a Famous uke in Japan? What size, ng?

It's a Famous by Kiwaya, I have no idea if its a very good one or not. It's in good condition. It's a Soprano.its about the same size as my Dolphin, but way deeper. It doesn't seem to hold a tune well at all.

If it's an older uke, you should replace the strings as soon as possible. (New strings will be a vast improvement over a worn out set.) Of course, new strings will need a week or so to stretch out and stay in tune.

If it's not holding tune at all---like the string undwinds itself after you tune it up---you will need to adjust the tuning pegs. Just tighten the little screws (about an eighth of a turn at a time) until the strings stay in tune.

Modern Kiwaya ukes are terrific. I'm guessing with new strings and a little adjustment, your Famous uke will sound and play great. Have fun with it!

It's a Famous by Kiwaya, I have no idea if its a very good one or not. It's in good condition. It's a Soprano.its about the same size as my Dolphin, but way deeper. It doesn't seem to hold a tune well at all.

The ukuleles branded as "Famous" vary wildly in quality. When I lived in Japan, you could buy inexpensive starter kits with Famous ukuleles, and they were either OK beginner instruments or pretty kindling. That's what you get with mass production and cheap strings. They do produce high quality instruments under that name, but I doubt anyone would give you one of them for free.

If it has friction tuners, try tightening them with a screwdriver. Restring with new, better quality strings. If that doesn't improve the sound quality to your liking, don't worry about letting it go.

Top Bottom