Dilema

aquadan

Reaction score
I had originally ordered a Kala KA-SMLT Okoume Tenor, and then decided that I was being cheap because what I really wanted was the Pono MT. We changed the order and the Pono arrived last week. Today the Kala showed up and it is gorgeous and sounds very nice. I'm not sure we're going to be able to bring ourselves to send it back so we may have to send some more money to the shop.

Or maybe they'll just tell us to keep it. I can dream, right???

To quote Rothstein from Boardwalk Empire: "flip a coin. when it's in the air, you'll know what side you're hoping for" ;)

You need both of them so you have one to share. Money is always a problem, but it is the holiday season, and a new uke is the perfect gift for someone if you can't use it yourself.

Oh, I know exactly who would get it, even though she just got a Kala Lacewood/Spruce soprano in the box with the 'free' tenor today. And I'm pretty sure it's going to stay based on her reactions to this one.

The worst part is still that I'm traveling and don't get to handle any of these for another 2 weeks. I did break down and have seen them on skype today. I was trying to hold out to look until I could do it in person but curiosity got the best of me.

I did break down and have seen them on skype today. I was trying to hold out to look until I could do it in person but curiosity got the best of me.

And I really hesitated to do that ... but he wanted to see the Pono mahogany vs. the okoume, after I showed him the 2 Kala (spruce & lacewood soprano and slot head okoume tenor). ;)

(guess this might give away who may be claiming the okoume slot head)

Last edited:
I'd be a bit careful on how quickly you choose between the Pono and the Kala (if you really have to choose :D). My Pono did not impress me at first - it definitely needed some playing to open up and I didn't much like the strings it came with.

I'd be a bit careful on how quickly you choose between the Pono and the Kala (if you really have to choose :D). My Pono did not impress me at first - it definitely needed some playing to open up and I didn't much like the strings it came with.

There's no question, the Pono definitely stays and we're sleeping on the Kala.

Oh, I didn't know you were thinking of keeping it. Ya, we'll give you a great deal.:D Return shipping is over twice our cost of shipping it there. I guess the planes take a lot more gas coming to HI.

Me and Zach were going over why this happened and located another case of it. Thank you so much for your honesty and kindness.

Return shipping is over twice our cost of shipping it there.
Sounds as if you should have a word with your logistics provider (unless you're using different carriers for out- and inbound)...

So how is the lacewood soprano? I've been dreaming about getting one. I got the lacewood tenor from HMS and I love it so much, the soprano is very tempting!

Last edited:
Wow! Sounds like the worst dilemma in the world. :) Send the money and enjoy them both. You were obviously debating between the two so when you decide which one wins, the other becomes the "beater/go anywhere" uke.

Wow! Sounds like the worst dilemma in the world. :) Send the money and enjoy them both. You were obviously debating between the two so when you decide which one wins, the other becomes the "beater/go anywhere" uke.

Oh my NO. I'm going to have to settle on a much less beautiful uke to fit that bill. The lacewood and the okoume are so beautiful I'm thinking of (gasp) hanging them facing the wall so we can appreciate the beautiful woods. :D

Oh, I didn't know you were thinking of keeping it. Ya, we'll give you a great deal.:D Return shipping is over twice our cost of shipping it there. I guess the planes take a lot more gas coming to HI.

Me and Zach were going over why this happened and located another case of it. Thank you so much for your honesty and kindness.

Well now you've done it! Can't pass this one up. :D

I do hope that whatever happened in your order system is fixable for future orders (especially when customers muck around with their orders after the fact -- so hard to decide on just one! or two... or ...).

Thank you for your kindness as well and offering such great instruments with the care that you do!

So how is the lacewood soprano? I've been dreaming about getting obe. I got the lacewod tenor from HMS and I love it so much, the soprano is very tempting!

So, I have to admit I didn't tune it yet or do more than quickly pluck a few strings. Once I do I'll let you know. I really, really wanted a tenor but wavered on it for too long and they didn't have any more.

What we'll save up for now will be a concert (of some sort - not necessarily the Kala lacewood, if we could find one). Seems we now have two tenors & two sopranos (our starter and the new Kala). ;)

The worst part is still that I'm traveling and don't get to handle any of these for another 2 weeks.

Right and the worst part for me is, I had them sitting right there in the room with me and was agonizing about sending such a wonderful uke back, while not really being able to play any of them because I sliced my thumb the other day at work.

Bandaids on both thumbs right now, actually. So playing is a bit of a challenge. (first world problems?) :p

Okay. So which one gets switched to high G? (they are both strung low) ;)

We probably should decide that after I get home.

And thanks Andrew - it's been a pleasure dealing with you guys. We'll look to HMS first when it comes time to add a concert to our family.

There's no question, the Pono definitely stays and we're sleeping on the Kala.

Well, we aren't sleeping on the Kala any longer. It's staying, and has been claimed. :D

Now to sort out what concert size is going to join the group eventually.

Top Bottom