Kamoa Ukes/ Uke bass

PTOEguy

Reaction score
I recently stopped by a guitar shop in my neighborhood and they carry Kamoa ukes. I tried out a E3-C, it was in the natural wood color and looked pretty cheap, but it sounded pretty good and had a very nice feel. It sounded even better when the salesman told me it was only $189. In my mind it was surprising value for the money - if you could get past the looks.

He also strongly recommended the Kamoa bass - although he didn't have one in stock. http://kamoaukulelecompany.com/ukuleles.php?id=341

I'm interested in the thoughts on uke basses in general and if anyone has particular experience with the Kamoa?

I've got the tenor E3 and I love it. The finish is a little soft and scratches easily, but it sounds great and plays incredibly well - a great value. If strumming scratches around the sound hole will bug you, I'd look else where. They're fairly obvious up close and I think this is a common problem with these instruments. It's purely cosmetic, though, doesn't actually go through the finish, but I can see it bothering some folks.

I've played the bass as well and I want one. Mike has one is the Uke Republic store. Unlike the Kala bass, it has a great acoustic sound, using nickel-wound metal strings, like a traditional electric bass gutiar. The playability is great. In fact, plugged in it sounds exactly like an electric bass. The Kala U-bass, with the rubbery strings, has to be plugged in to be heard, but has a really pleasant tone, sounding very much like a stand up bass - really warm and full. They're both fine instruments, but I preferred the feel and action of the Kamoa - plus, I enjoyed the unamplified sound.... although the Kala sounds great through a nice amp.

Uke basses in general are a real trip ! A lot of folks here have them, just too much fun to play.
I love my Kala U-bass and have gigged with it, too.
A friend bought a Kamoa uke bass and I did not like it nearly as well as the Kala. For one thing, it uses steel strings and tunes higher than the Kala. If tuned to standard bass notes, the strings are floppy. He tuned it an octave higher. I don't think he tried A,D,G,C tuning. He ended up putting a different type of strings on and it sounds better (standard tuning), but it ain't like the Kala!

If one really thinks about it, a four string acoustic bass "guitar" makes the most sense for a bass ukulele.
It's acoustic, it's got the shape of an ukulele, and it's got 4 strings. When you line 'em all up soprano-bari,
then add an acoustic bass "guitar", it simply looks and sounds(!) right to me.

Top Bottom