Pepe Romero and Cordoba working together

PedalFreak

Reaction score
Aloha Aaron,
Mahalo for the heads up on Pepe.....wow all those previous pepe owners are gonna jump on this one......have a happy holidays bruddah....

Entirely handmade, the 30 Series are Cordoba’s first ukuleles featuring twelve frets to the body rather than fourteen. This creates greater movement of the soundboard, greater resonance and volume, and a warm, balanced tone.
Assuming that the "T" designation in their model numbers stands for tenor (which I believe is the only size Pepe has been making), I have to question the "12 frets to the body."

Granted, not every uker really needs/uses all the frets (and 12 to the body is standard with classical guitars) but it defies convention of standard tenor ukes and acoustic guitars, so I wonder if some ukers will balk at this "feature."

Assuming that the "T" designation in their model numbers stands for tenor (which I believe is the only size Pepe has been making), I have to question the "12 frets to the body."

Granted, not every uker really needs/uses all the frets (and 12 to the body is standard with classical guitars) but it defies convention of standard tenor ukes and acoustic guitars, so I wonder if some ukers will balk at this "feature."
90% of Pepe's ukes are 12 frets to the body. His series 5 (Bruce Shimabukuro) ones are the only 14 frets to the body models. My vintage Martin tenor is 12 frets to the body. It is not uncommon. Hopefully they sound more like Pepes than Cordobas!

90% of Pepe's ukes are 12 frets to the body. His series 5 (Bruce Shimabukuro) ones are the only 14 frets to the body models. My vintage Martin tenor is 12 frets to the body. It is not uncommon. Hopefully they sound more like Pepes than Cordobas!

From what I have heard, they are Pepe's with Cordoba on the headstock! :D

That would be a deal killer for me...I had to think long and hard about getting a Collings with 13 frets

here's the info I got..

"We are launching a new line of Ukuleles at the 2013 NAMM show and wanted to give you a little sneak peak.
The new 30 series ukes are designed by Pepe Romero Jr. The build quality is absolutely outstanding! The tone is rich and full, the fingerboard is nice and wide, the body features a hand rubbed gloss lacquer, Spanish heel, and fan braced construction.
Take a look at the attached photos.
These are all solid wood ranging from an all Koa model, All Mahogany model, to a Spruce Top / Rosewood back and sides model.
Pricing will be between $499 - $599 map.
I am excited to show you more. I will send the information as it rolls in!"
photo_5_.jpg
photo_6_.jpg

Last edited:
Can't wait to see that spruce/rosewood Cordoba stacks up to the existing Pepe Romero model

Most Cordoba ukes are not made in China but the Pepe models are built to the specs he set and with his neck and string spacing...These are an affordable alternative to getting a real Pepe and built like a traditional ukulele....I am posting a short interview with Pepe i took today at Namm shortly if it uploads correctly.

Cordoba's guitars have had some models made in spain, but the rest of the guitars and ukes have been made in China. I've heard there will be some changes this year. Including some models (not sure if the ukes fall into this) will be made in the USA.

The Pepe models are going to be great I think. We ordered them all for our shop. I'm thinking of snagging the Spruce/Rosewood model for myself sometime this year :D

From what I have heard, they are Pepe's with Cordoba on the headstock! :D

Isn't that like Mercedes Benz with Honda on the front grill.

Why, Pepe, why?

Just heard from a Cordoba dealer that the 30 series will not be out until Mid 2013.

Last edited:
Isn't that like Mercedes Benz with Honda on the front grill.

Why, Pepe, why?

Or a Mercedes Benz with a Chrysler on the front grill... oh wait, they did that.

If they sound as good as a Pepe, that will be good for the uke world. Pepes are excellent ukes!

Top Bottom