New uke day! Big Island Solid Koa Concert, 2nd uke

Youkalaylee

Reaction score
Arrived in the post today while I was at work... Meant to be a Christmas present so I was only allowed to have it out for a few minutes to check it over and play a few chords... And oh my god the sound is amazing! This is my 2nd uke, my 1st was a cheap nasty one with painful too-high action and this is a dream to play. Don't think I can even look at my old soprano again after experiencing this beauty! Intonation is great up the fretboard, it sounds sweet and the finish on the koa is to die for.

:smileybounce:

It's full name is actually Big Island Traditional Concert. Solid koa body, rosewood fretboard and mahogany neck. Koa front on the mahogany head and koa tuner buttons. Strings fitted are worth clear dense.

Purchased it from eBay, from a UU member. Absolutely no problems and really happy. He included the case. Left positive feedback. :)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats. Looks like you've been good this year!

Hope you survive the next 5 days!

Congrats. Looks like you've been good this year!

Hope you survive the next 5 days!

I think its gonna be sneakily taken out for another test spin before Christmas while my partners at work... You know, just to make sure its ok, double checking and everything... And triple checking... ;)

Wow, how pretty! What an awesome christmas present!

Congratulations! Big Island has some wonderful looking koa. I have a slightly older tenor version of this instrument (also purchased from a UU member) and love it. I hope yours brings you as much joy.

Congrats on your new concert uke! Those Big Islands are wonderful players. I had a chance to try out a BI Honu Koa tenor a few months ago and it was to so rich in sound. Happy strumming!

Enjoy it! ;-)

Plus you get the pleasure of owning the actual uke that was photographed for the cover of one of my books! As seen on Amazon!

Plus you get the pleasure of owning the actual uke that was photographed for the cover of one of my books! As seen on Amazon!

I noticed that yesterday when I was browsing your site (looking for advice on fingernail care for my strumming hand, which I found btw as I want to start getting used to fingerpicking). I showed my partner and told him that my uke was famous. He didn't seem as impressed as I was!

Definitely going to spend my Christmas money on getting the complete version. I read the sample on my kindle but I'm choosing to buy the physical copy for that reason! Lol :D

Last edited:
That looks like a beautiful uke. I hope it sounds as sweet as it looks.

Oh yeah it plays like a dream, even with my clumsy fingers, if I fret a chord and misplace a finger slightly the chord while obviously not being correct still sounds passable! It's very forgiving of my inexperience lol

Congrats! I have the soprano version and absolutely love it too!

Top Bottom