It's a small world...

OldePhart

Reaction score
I don't ordinarily "adopt" other cultures for many reasons, not the least of which is the fear of making an arse of myself. So, I'm the last guy you'll hear saying "aloha" or "mahalo" or what have you - it just seems unnatural coming from me, a middle-aged white redneck who spent one summer in Hawaii at the age of nine.

But, today, being silly as I was leaving work for the last time this year I said "Mele Kalikimaka" on my way out the door - as expected one of my coworkers finally couldn't stand it and asked, "Okay, so what the heck..." just as I got to the door of the classroom we're using for testing.

What surprised me is when one of my other coworkers, a born and bred Texan about my age, walked in the door and he'd obviously heard both of us because he answered for me, "Merry Christmas in Hawaiian." I was a little surprised he knew that. Turns out his mother was half-Hawaiian and raised in the islands.

At least now I know I pronounced it correctly... LOL

John

"it just seems unnatural coming from me, a middle-aged white redneck who spent one summer in Hawaii at the age of nine."

Funniest thing I read all day!

Thanks,

Scooter

You'll really toast them next week when you wish them Hau'oli Makahiki Hou.

I don't ordinarily "adopt" other cultures for many reasons, not the least of which is the fear of making an arse of myself. So, I'm the last guy you'll hear saying "aloha" or "mahalo" or what have you - it just seems unnatural coming from me, a middle-aged white redneck who spent one summer in Hawaii at the age of nine.

John

I guess using those salutations in other parts of the world might be funny. when in rome..? ahhh, you play enough uke to get away with it. Just don't change your name to keoni and start wearing skin toner.

It is winter in Indiana. I am usually a greeter at church on Sunday morning. I will wear my Aloha shirt and greet people with Mele KALIKIMAKA OR Aloha and it brings a smile to their face and everyone feels warmer. Oh and by the way most of the people hear think of me as the crazy old guy who tries to play the UKE. ALOHA! Steve

I speak a little German from high school, never knowing I would end up spending about 4 years over there while serving in the Air Force. In our shop, we had a few German Nationals working in our shop along side of us. We would always speak a mix of German and English to each other. At the end of the day, I started instead of "Auf Wiedersehen" (Used as "Good Bye" in German) (pronouched: Off Veedersain), I started saying "Ya'll Be the same" . After several months of that, even the Germans were saying "Ya'll be da same" when we parted ways, and they were even saying that to each other.. Funny how cultures mixed in our shop.. ;)

Mele Kalikimaka is actually Katakana, but I'll let it slide ;)

Top Bottom