Tenor cigar box by Bluegrass Ukuleles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work. SHame about the friction tuners, but I suppose they can be changed.

Great!

Thanks, glad it's working out for you dude!

I couldnt be happier with my Tom Guy Bluegrass ukulele!
The best sounding insturment we have in the house....and we have some good instruments in the house.....
I am soo glad I have one:love:

Yeah, Tom's cigar box is awesome. I love mine too. And despite the slanted saddle, it works perfectly strung re-entrant.

What's your opinion of it, a year or more later? Still worth the investment? I'm really interested in his latest tenor model - I've been hemminga nd hawing over several instruments* as my next uke, but this one really stands out for me. Like the shape, like the sound. But what about a case?

Like to hear from more owners of these cigar-box ukes.
~~~~~

* One of the new Kalas, including the bass and the acacia models, a banjolele and a Samwill. Only one will remain on the island, though...

I have a Fremont tenor rectangular case for mine. It fits perfectly and leaves you room on the headstock end for nice big humidifier. Really nice case.

Coolest uke there is!

Nothing compares to the looks and old school appeal of Tom Guy's Cigar Box. They are unique and are definitely a conversation starter. Not to mention they sound awesome for a square box. The craftsmanship is spot on and the costumer service is second to none. Tom is an artist. BUY ONE!!! :shaka:

I should have jumped sooner. I made up my mind last night to buy it and got up today to send an email to that effect, but in my inbox this morning was a message saying it is (probably) sold. Damnation.

All that begging and whining to Susan, that pleading, the tearful recriminations, the promise to be faithful and never look at another four-stringed instrument after this one - all wasted.

And it's not like I can just buy something else and pretend that was my intent from the start. She'll cotton on right away that it's not the same shape. The cigar box really caught her eye, enough to comment on it. And in a week or so she's going to start asking "when will that odd-looking ukulele arrive?" What will I tell her? Honey, it was sold, so I'm still looking...? She'll say no, that's what. No, no, no. It was that one or no one. You promised.

I even opened a really nice bottle of wine to help lubricate the process. Damn again. Could have just had a bottle of plonk and saved the good stuff for later.

Should have jumped sooner. Sigh.

I should have jumped sooner. I made up my mind last night to buy it and got up today to send an email to that effect, but in my inbox this morning was a message saying it is (probably) sold. Damnation.

All that begging and whining to Susan, that pleading, the tearful recriminations, the promise to be faithful and never look at another four-stringed instrument after this one - all wasted.

And it's not like I can just buy something else and pretend that was my intent from the start. She'll cotton on right away that it's not the same shape. The cigar box really caught her eye, enough to comment on it. And in a week or so she's going to start asking "when will that odd-looking ukulele arrive?" What will I tell her? Honey, it was sold, so I'm still looking...? She'll say no, that's what. No, no, no. It was that one or no one. You promised.

I even opened a really nice bottle of wine to help lubricate the process. Damn again. Could have just had a bottle of plonk and saved the good stuff for later.

Now is the perfect time to order a custom....

Now is the perfect time to order a custom....
On my budget? You're a funny guy, Deach.

Besides, I recently suggested to Susan that I would sell a couple of existing ukes and save up to buy a really nice instrument, something custom, something special, something over $1,000*. She suggested should I do that, she would help me part with some parts of my anatomy of which I've grown fond over the years.

~~~~~
*$1,000 US translates to about $1,200 CAD, plus shipping and taxes, so it lands here at around $1,500, a 50% difference! Even a $400 US uke costs a lot more - about $600 CAD landed.

This won't be the last one Tom builds though. Unless he runs out of cigar boxes. Why not check with him on when another one will be available?

This won't be the last one Tom builds though. Unless he runs out of cigar boxes. Why not check with him on when another one will be available?

I did. At first he mentioned he had one another customer hadn't paid for, and it might be available. That got the old ticker started again, so while the wife and I took our dog for a long walk into town and around the main street, I told her all about the trials and tribulations of missing my chance at the first uke, and how I had come out on top with a second one. I managed to get her talked around from, "Well, it's gone, so forget about it," to "Okay, the other one sounds good, too."

Then I got home and another email said the previous customer had called and said he already mailed the cheque, so that one, too, was out of the running.

Sigh. This was the stuff of a formative blues song. I moped and pouted while Susan made comments about how I was fated not to get another ukulele and maybe I should put the money towards a new kitchen appliance.

So, with that prospect in mind, I emailed Tom and asked him about reserving a future one; we're back in the courtship stage. And I'm playing a slow blues in A while I wait for his response... I don't need women/I don't need booze/What's troublin' me/is ukulele blues...

Don't touch that dial. We'll be back after this message...

My experience with Tom was nothing but extraordinary. I found his email on Youtube after a failed attempt at bidding on a Cigar box on Ebay. So I emailed him to ask if he had any more for sale. He replied and told me he was moving shops and would let me know when he was to start building again. When he did email me, he allowed me to pick my cigar box, pick my rosette color, pick my neck and fret board configuration, and he sent me pictures during the entire build process. He even printed an interior label with "Made Specially for ....." with the build date included. I have nothing but good things to say about Tom Guy. He is awesome. :shaka:

For CPatch

Hello Craig, I answered your email at 7:15 yesterday morning,, did you not get it? Tom Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom