New Uke Day!

PatriciaPDX

Reaction score
Hi all,

As a small pre-Christmas present to myself, and because I knew my one ukulele was lonely, I bought a Makala Dolphin in Metallic Blue (upon which to play the blues!). The last time I tried one in a store it was a laminate with a body virtually the same as my Malaka MK-S. So I was surprised at the new plastic body sides and back, with a thicker neck, a more solid, heavier body feel and a surprisingly full sound (I put Aquilas on it immediately, of course). The intonation is very good (better than my MK-S) for an inexpensive ukulele, and the thinner body depth makes it a lot easier to hang onto, even when fingerpicking. So I'm pleased!

Just after the first of the year I'm buying an aNueNue, so I'll have more pictures then. For now, here's one of my MK-S and the new Dolphin:

twins2.jpg

So that does it, I'm infected! UAS begins to take hold! :iwant:

Hahahaha,

Patricia :)

Last edited:
Yay! Dolphins are great! I have pink, purple, red and yum yum yellow :)

Happy new uke day!

I have a green Dolphin and I think an orange one is in my future.

Congratulations on the new Makala dolphin! I recently won a blue off-brand tenor ukulele which I refer to as my blukulele. I was hoping to play "Blue Christmas" on it at my ukulele class's holiday party this past weekend, but the opportunity never came up.

nice one Patricia! Very striking little uke. I've got a few coloured ones too, so cute. Lookin forward to some blues on that one for sure with that voice of yours, it's a perfect match. :)

Congrats Patricia! Mine is bright yellow and its great! I'm sure you'll have fun with it!

Congrats on the Dolphin. They're loads of fun.

So your now on a new uke a month rate? That's some serious UAS!

Enjoy

Awesome! My blue metallic is the best-playing one of my Dolphins. Of course, it got a super set-up by Mike at Uke Republic. :)

Aloha Pat,
Congrats o your new addition to your ukulele ohana...happy Strummings...wow a anuenue next at the start of the rainbow...any other favorites you like....
dolphins are really fun too...and Mike at Uke republic is one nice talented set up guy and seller of ukes...woo hoo

Hi all,

As a small pre-Christmas present to myself, and because I knew my one ukulele was lonely, I bought a Makala Dolphin in Metallic Blue (upon which to play the blues!). The last time I tried one in a store it was a laminate with a body virtually the same as my Malaka MK-S. So I was surprised at the new plastic body sides and back, with a thicker neck, a more solid, heavier body feel and a surprisingly full sound (I put Aquilas on it immediately, of course). The intonation is very good (better than my MK-S) for an inexpensive ukulele, and the thinner body depth makes it a lot easier to hang onto, even when fingerpicking. So I'm pleased!

Just after the first of the year I'm buying an aNueNue, so I'll have more pictures then. For now, here's one of my MK-S and the new Dolphin:

View attachment 46509

So that does it, I'm infected! UAS begins to take hold! :iwant:

Hahahaha,

Patricia :)

As you know, it's all your fault that I went and bought a metallic blue Dolphin *too*! :p Mine seems to look like a dark teal, though, and not the blue that yours looks like in the photo. :( Sounds nice, though, even with the stock strings! (this will change soon)

CountryMouse

As you know, it's all your fault that I went and bought a metallic blue Dolphin *too*! :p Mine seems to look like a dark teal, though, and not the blue that yours looks like in the photo. :( Sounds nice, though, even with the stock strings! (this will change soon)

Hahaha, yes! But the color seems to depend on the lighting, and the camera, of course. When I took it out of the box downstairs it looked like teal also, almost a dark turquoise, but when I took it upstairs to take the picture and with the bedroom lamp and the phone camera, it looks bluer. It looks bluer in the video, too, because of the camera. So it's rather a chameleon. Yes, I thought the sound was good right out of the box, before I put the Aquilas on. I had mentioned to you that the action was higher than on the Red Burst Dolphin I bought, but it's not really uncomfortable, so I think I'm going to leave it alone for now.

What a fun gift to give yourself! I love my Dolphins- i have a powder blue one, a black sparkly one and a red one. Enjoy your new blue one!

Hahaha, yes! But the color seems to depend on the lighting, and the camera, of course. When I took it out of the box downstairs it looked like teal also, almost a dark turquoise, but when I took it upstairs to take the picture and with the bedroom lamp and the phone camera, it looks bluer. It looks bluer in the video, too, because of the camera. So it's rather a chameleon. Yes, I thought the sound was good right out of the box, before I put the Aquilas on. I had mentioned to you that the action was higher than on the Red Burst Dolphin I bought, but it's not really uncomfortable, so I think I'm going to leave it alone for now.

Well, we'll see what it looks like on camera when it eventually makes it into one of my videos. :) I like it anyway. Pretty sparkles!

I am justifying having so many ukuleles by saying that I'm doing a video a week (Seasons of the Ukulele), so they are all more likely to get their time in the spotlight. :rolleyes:

CountryMouse

Top Bottom