Surprise Xmas Gig

Ben_H

Reaction score
We found out last week that the landord of the pub where the Bedford Ukulele Group practices had us advertised as the star turn of last nights Carol Concert, (our usual practice night.)

What none of us seemed to realise till we turned up last night to a full house was that the Parish Church Choir was also coming along with their amped keybaord and 40 odd choristers :wtf:

After a bit of grumbling and shuffling around it quickly became apparent that all our music was in a different key to theirs so we settled for trading their Xmas carols with our Xmas songs which worked out quite nicely. We even attempted Slade's Merry Xmas Everyone as a waltz in homage to the UOGB which sort of worked though seemed to confuse the audience.

As we ran out of tunes we started "Jingle Up" old favourites, such as "Christmas" Week Hula and "I'm gonna sit right down and write Santa Claus a letter."

Good fun was had by all, (eventually ;) )

Happy Xmas!

Sounds like a good show.

I remember once being asked to fiddle with a string band thrown together to participate in a fairly ornate show to accompany a 45 voice choir and Jim Post. YIKES! Jim Post was fine...the massive choir was fine...the band was fine. Put 'em all together and waddayagot? DOUBLE-YIKES! It was like being in a giant dysfunctional family. We had no problem on number with Jim Post. Jim had no problem on numbers with the choir. But a string band and a choir? The choir's director didn't understand that fiddlers and banjo players are pretty much unable (with a bit of unwilling thrown in for good measure) to follow direction. None of us could read any bloody music, either. And it sure wasn't going to be a string band accompanied by 45 voices! What a riot! About 250 people paid perfectly good $$$ for the show ... and BOY! did they get a SHOW!!!!(?) Jim Post was a real pro. I thought the string band and the choir were going to get into a dust-up. And frankly, I think we could have taken all 45 of 'em! LOL

Top Bottom