About strings...

VVVLion

Reaction score
I'm going to buy strings for my new KAMAKA HF-1L Standard soprano with long neck, and I would like to know which one to buy... concert strings or soprano strings?
And I would also like to know what's the best for a KAMAKA soprano, I'm now considering to have one of those Aquila strings, any of you have any suggestions?
Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you!

Either would work but the concert strings will probably give you the best result. Of course some manufacturers only offer one size for both.

I recommend that you try several different brands of strings until you find the ones that sound the best to you. I know Worth strings are pretty popular on Kamakas but I wouldn't stop there.

If you like the sound of Aquila strings then there is nothing wrong with putting them on a Kamaka - they wouldn't be my first choice, though. Aquila strings have a pretty strong character all their own and it seems like whatever uke you put them on the result features the Aquila "sound" more strongly than the more subtle characteristics of the uke itself. That's not a bad thing if you like that Aquila sound, of course.

The best choice of strings can also be dependent on how you play (more percussive "striking" of the strings or a more gentle brush, etc.).

John

Either would work but the concert strings will probably give you the best result. Of course some manufacturers only offer one size for both.

I recommend that you try several different brands of strings until you find the ones that sound the best to you. I know Worth strings are pretty popular on Kamakas but I wouldn't stop there.

If you like the sound of Aquila strings then there is nothing wrong with putting them on a Kamaka - they wouldn't be my first choice, though. Aquila strings have a pretty strong character all their own and it seems like whatever uke you put them on the result features the Aquila "sound" more strongly than the more subtle characteristics of the uke itself. That's not a bad thing if you like that Aquila sound, of course.

The best choice of strings can also be dependent on how you play (more percussive "striking" of the strings or a more gentle brush, etc.).

John

Thank you OldePhart, you are right! I bought 2 different set of strings: Aquila and ProArte.
I first put Aquila on, and... that resulted in I couldn’t even recognize my Kamaka (actually my friend‘s), it sounded like “Aquila”, and my friend has a KALA ASAC as well as this KAMAKA, stung with Aquila too (the KALA originally came with Aquila), they sounded pretty much alike to me, but of course the Kamaka sounded better!
Than I put on ProArte... I just like it this way~ the Arte set just pleased my ears better.
Finally finished the string test and got ready to purchase my own first ukulele now~
Haha~ Thank you again for your advise!

Top Bottom