Need Help With a Chord

+7 means "augmented seventh"
I don't know the fingering for Am +7 but you can start your search looking for augmented chords.

All open strings. I looked it up in the Ukulele Handbook by Axel Richter. I just play a Am with a 7th (4th string 2nd fret and 2nd string 3rd fret)

I play the song in Dm and it has a Dm7 so you may be playing in Am and it would have an Am7.

Last edited:
If I were playing that chord in the context of the song I would play an a minor with a G# (1000). One possible sequence 2000, 1000, 0000, 2223. Or 9987, 9887, 9787, 5655 or 5657. I know the root is missing in the 9787 but it sounds good to me. I think the + sign means to play the 7th tone with the a minor as it appears in the A major scale. And that is a G#.

Yeah, I think that chart is in error. It should really be an Am(maj7), which would indeed be 1000, as Bill Mc said. I've never seen that notated as "Am+7". That's just weird. :)

The idea is that you have a nice little descending line in the harmony: The one note in the chord that moves from A to Ab to G. Or, 2000 to 1000 to 0000.

JJ

Thank you all, I am going to try and figure out what the +7 meant so I don't have to bug folks next time I see something like that. Anyone know of a good book or site that explains the makeup of a chord?

Thank you all, I am going to try and figure out what the +7 meant so I don't have to bug folks next time I see something like that.

I think it "meant" an Am(maj7), it just went about it a weird way.

Normally the "+" means "augmented". So you might see a C+ or C+5 chord as an alternate way of saying Caug. To "augment" means to sharpen the note (raise it up one fret... also known as one half-step). So instead of playing the normal "5" note of the C chord, which is a G note, you'd augment it and make it a G# note.

But you wouldn't normally augment a 7th of a chord. If you sharpen the major 7th of a chord, you just wind up with the root of the chord an octave higher. And if you sharpen a minor 7th, you just end back up with a major 7th.

I get what the person was trying to do. The 7th of a minor 7th chord is a minor 7th. So I guess it makes sense in some way to call it a "+7" if you wanted to sharpen it (augment it) back up to a major 7th. But then you'd just call it a major 7th and be done with it.

To call it a "+7" is kind of like calling it a "sharp flat 7" with is just kooky. Sort of along lines of me saying that I'm 5'15" tall instead of 6'3". I mean, it's technically the same height, but nobody says it that way! :)

JJ

Last edited:
Yeah it's probably a theory reason why it's an aug 7th, but most composer/arranger types will mark it in a way that is readable, not aug 7th. It's like having a piece with lots of flat-flats or sharp-sharps. Might be correct in a theory class, but will have the people that are reading it hunting you with pitchforks. :)

I think it "meant" an Am(maj7), it just went about it a weird way.

Normally the "+" means "augmented". So you might see a C+ or C+5 chord as an alternate way of saying Caug. To "augment" means to sharpen the note (raise it up one fret... also known as one half-step). So instead of playing the normal "5" note of the C chord, which is a G note, you'd augment it and make it a G# note.

But you wouldn't normally augment a 7th of a chord. If you sharpen the major 7th of a chord, you just wind up with the root of the chord an octave higher. And if you sharpen a minor 7th, you just end back up with a major 7th.

I get what the person was trying to do. The 7th of a minor 7th chord is a minor 7th. So I guess it makes sense in some way to call it a "+7" if you wanted to sharpen it (augment it) back up to a major 7th. But then you'd just call it a major 7th and be done with it.

To call it a "+7" is kind of like calling it a "sharp flat 7" with is just kooky. Sort of along lines of me saying that I'm 5'15" tall instead of 6'3". I mean, it's technically the same height, but nobody says it that way! :)

JJ

Top Bottom