8-string Lanikai; experiences?

uncle david

Reaction score
So, I'm looking into possibly buying the Lanikai LU-8EK 8-String Tenor within the next month or so(or possibly a new mandolin, but that's beside the point). Does anyone here have any experience with this instrument, good or bad? Please share, as I'm not finding much on the web in the way of reviews regarding this uke. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Played one in the music shop...sounds really neat...Its way less poppy or crunchy than my mahogany mainland. I liked it but could tell it was a pain to keep in tune. Perhaps it was just that one model but I decided not to buy it.

My Lanikai 8 string is my favorite. Have had it for a few years now. Re-tuned mine to DGBE to match what I all ready had on the wall.

I bought one from Mim a few years ago and sold it a few months ago after getting an 8-string Kamaka tenor. I really liked mine. It sounded full and had nice intonation up the neck. The Kamaka was louder but deeper-sounding (koa vs. spruce top) and a little more fun to play, but my Lanikai was lots of fun too. I'd recommend buying one from someone who does set-up, like Mim or Hawaii Music Supply, because sometimes ukuleles made in Asian factories come with action that's a little high. Mim set mine up and it was perfect.

I bought my LU8-EK from Mim's Ukes a few months ago. I LOVE it! It has that something extra that I was longing for in its eight strings. Mim, who is a member here and a uke retailer, does a fabulous set-up on each uke she sells.

I particularly like the built-in electronic tuner on my LU8-EK, as it makes tuning much more convenient. Once the strings settled in, I found it no more difficult to keep in tune than any other uke I've owned. Eight strings can be a difficult fit in most ukulele cases, but Mim provided me with a case that fits it perfectly.

I bought mine with very high hopes, and wasn't disappointed....

If you can, step up to the O-8E, with the solid spruce top. To me ears, it's a better sounding instrument. As I've said many time here, I love mine! It is not only my main uke, it is my main instrument, period.

- FiL

Played one in the music shop...sounds really neat...Its way less poppy or crunchy than my mahogany mainland. I liked it but could tell it was a pain to keep in tune. Perhaps it was just that one model but I decided not to buy it.

Why a pain to tune?

Thanks for the feedback so far.
How does it sound plugged in? Do the electronics complement the tone?

I have a review on my Youtube. Hmm, where is it...

I can't find it. I will make a new one for you. :) The old one wasn't good anyway, and my skillz are better now, I think.

I've had one for about a year and a half and it is my baby.
Once the strings are settled, it stays in tune for weeks!
She's a workhorse, too, handling being beaten on for three hours straight every gig.
I love the fuller sound, especially because I do a lot of open mics and play in places that people are used to guitars, so the... the "moreness" of the sound is a HUGE help in getting people to accept the uke.

This one is my second, as I got hit by a car and my baby got smooshed, and, though I stray, I always come back to her.

When I DO get a custom made, it will be an 8 string.

Plugged in, they sound great, really full, although, I've been rolling off the highend quite a bit lately. That's more a personal choice than a bad thing on the instrument.

If you can, step up to the O-8E, with the solid spruce top. To me ears, it's a better sounding instrument. As I've said many time here, I love mine! It is not only my main uke, it is my main instrument, period.

- FiL
I agree, I love my O-8E! I got mine from Mim a while back and it's a great uke for the money. I also have an LU-6 that I bought used and while its nice I've just never bonded with it like the 8, the spruce top just has a much fuller sound. Check with Mim, she'll do you right.

I've had one for about a year and a half and it is my baby.
Once the strings are settled, it stays in tune for weeks!
She's a workhorse, too, handling being beaten on for three hours straight every gig.
I love the fuller sound, especially because I do a lot of open mics and play in places that people are used to guitars, so the... the "moreness" of the sound is a HUGE help in getting people to accept the uke.

This one is my second, as I got hit by a car and my baby got smooshed, and, though I stray, I always come back to her.

When I DO get a custom made, it will be an 8 string.

Plugged in, they sound great, really full, although, I've been rolling off the highend quite a bit lately. That's more a personal choice than a bad thing on the instrument.

I agree with so much of this! Tuning isn't a problem on my O-8E except when I put new string on, as 8 strings settle in instead of four. But once it settles, it's pretty solid. I too play with a lot of guitarists--sometimes as many as 20--and the 8-string really cuts through. And I do think the 8 strings and the tenor body help "legitimize" it to guitarists.

I have an older model, which I think has different electronics than the current models. It's worked fine for me, but I like running it though a multi-effect processor to add light touches of compression, EQ, chorus (just a wee bit!) and reverb (and the occasional tremolo). I've received many compliments on the sound.

My only two complaints: Don't know if they've changed this, but on mine the battery is a PITA to replace. And I wish the jack was where an end pin/strap button would be, instead of further down on the lower bout.

And yes, If I ever get to the point where I can afford/justify a custom, it will be an 8-string. :)

- FiL

Maybe my ears are overly sensitive but I spent quite a bit of time tweaking the double strings to ring correctly. After playing it for a few moments it would start to slide back out of tune. It could totally have been the shop neglecting it but, even though I really dug the sound of it I figured it would be easier to either buy from a different company or stick with 4 strings.

Well, ambition is running low today. I'll make that video once I get dressed and find an amp around here somewhere.

The short & skinny...

I sing open mic, just me and my uke, and that can be kind of a thin sound. I really needed something with a pickup (I only have one other with a pickup, all others are acoustic only.) and a fuller sound. I got to play with Uncle Elvis's a bit at UWC so even though I wasn't confident about getting a tenor I ordered one from directly from Mim as soon as they came in. I got it from Mim, so obviously setup is perfect.

Mine is the O-E8K. It has pretty stripey sides/back and a very light tight grain top, and off-white binding. No purfling. It's my only tenor, so most of my issue was around adapting to the scale size, not the 8 strings themselves. It stays in tune within a little bit even when it isn't played for several days. Personally I'm a strummer not a picker so I have no idea whether picking on an 8 string is more or less difficult.

The one problem I have had with it is that the built in Fishman tuner doesn't turn off automatically so I run through batteries pretty quickly. (I forget to turn the tuner off, it's me being absent minded, not an issue with the tuner itself.) Oh, but the Fishman thingy has electronics that are useful at open mic. I'm not tech savvy. But the guy who runs the open mic has me diddle them till it's good through his big amp system.

At home, I have 3 different amps, a honey tone, a microcube, and an aleysis PA system. I am able to get a pretty clean warm sound on all of them by diddling the dials. Again, not techy, so don't ask me how to get it to sound right because my answer will be "keep diddling".

Overall it has definitely earned it's place in my stable with it's chimey, full sound. That's pretty significant for me, considering I have such a strong preference for sopranos. Like mailman, I also purchased a soft case from Mim.

I hope that helps some. Did you have any specific questions that haven't been answered yet?

Last edited:
Love my O8-E.

I have not played a Lanikai 8 string that I didn't like. I played two at UWC that were set up by Mim (one spruce top and one mahogany) and I played DeG's spruce top one (I think he got his at musician's friend). If I decide to venture into the 8 string market again, I will more than likely be getting one of these Lanikais.

I had one - I should have loved it as it came straight from the factory via a big-box store with a perfect setup - intonation all the way up the neck quite good.

Plugged in it sounded great.

Unplugged it was about as satisfying as playing a wet dog. I gave it away as I couldn't bring myself to stick someone with it here in the marketplace.

Keep in mind this is only one sample out of hundreds, but it did make it unlikely that I'd buy another on a bet.

Top Bottom